Do you care if you see the cruise director/captain?

#1TravelMom

I used to always go to the "Captain's Reception" and do have a number of photos taken with the various Captains. After all he does COMMAND the ship, so in my eyes, he is the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON on the ship. I was sorry on our last two cruises, to see that event has gone by the wayside.

I've only cruised 7 times, and on a variety of cruiselines, but I do have to say on our last cruise on NCL, being invited to Dine with the Captain on my Birthday was definitely the high point of our cruise. He was very personable and you can bet the service was absolutely perfect that night! And they do try to make it a special event, little menus were rolled up and presented to each of us, a group photo of the 8 of us with the Captain and Hotel Director (at no cost) Unfortunately I'm not good at remembering names, but I do have photos & paperwork with their names on it.

SO I'm the odd person out on this thread, in thinking that YES meeting the Captain was a special honor for me.

We couldn't care less about either.

Thank you for properly saying, COULDN'T care less. I was trying to read this thread, but was going to scratch out my eyeballs at the people saying, "I could care less", which means the complete opposite of what they intend.

Anyway, I am another that couldn't care less about seeing the cruise director or caption. I've finished every cruise I've sailed without knowing the name of either party.

Paul Baya is the current cruise director. I might have said I don't care much about seeing the CD before this cruise. This was an exception. The best cruise I've had in 12 outings. He was not just visible but an active participant in so many activities I was astounded. He also seemed to be having a good time and the people around him sensed that and the fun just went up. I think he was a big part in helping us have the best cruise ever!

We just returned from a Carnival cruise two weeks ago. I never once saw the captain the entire week but the CD was everywhere, all the time. It seemed like he worked 24/7. His extremely loud, booming, voice drove me out of the every room I encountered him. He actually hurt my ears and I so much wanted to tell him to get some lessons on how to speak into a microphone.

Newbie to cruising. Did not expect to see the Captain or the CD but I must say I really enjoyed the Captain's Q & A session, the Captain's announcements and the Captain's cake decorations segment on the Rhapsody of the Seas. I thought the CD did a pretty good job too.

The less I see of the CD the better. I've had only one who didn't seem to be putting on a fake front.

The captain on the other hand... Love seeing him around! One of my favorite things about Holland America is that the captain will eat in the buffet and generally make his presence well known. Shout out to Captain Scott and Captain Kleijer. What kind and humorous men. Love.

It bothers me if I cross paths with the Cruise Director, tell him hello, and he glances our way and ignores the greeting. This happened all the time on The Voyager while we would cruise on it.

Thank goodness that the Cruise Director on The Navigator has manners. It took all of 3 seconds for him to say "hello ladies" while our passed crossed several times that week. Good manners go so far and are noticed. And I have no doubt that if we had stopped him to ask a question he have taken time to stop and answer it.