? About What to Include When Buying Insurance

After years of cruising, it has finally occurred to me that I may have been buying "too much" insurance. What cruise-related fares do you include (or exclude) when figuring the cost of the trip to insure. I used to include the entire cruise cost, but it finally occurred to me that I should be excluding prepaid gratuities, as I would get those back if I had to cancel. I called RCCL and they told me that taxes/fees would be refunded as well, but the guy didn't sound super convincing. Anyone know? What about port charges (NCCF), which my TA breaks out on my invoice?

After years of cruising, it has finally occurred to me that I may have been buying "too much" insurance. What cruise-related fares do you include (or exclude) when figuring the cost of the trip to insure. I used to include the entire cruise cost, but it finally occurred to me that I should be excluding prepaid gratuities, as I would get those back if I had to cancel. I called RCCL and they told me that taxes/fees would be refunded as well, but the guy didn't sound super convincing. Anyone know? What about port charges (NCCF), which my TA breaks out on my invoice?

Having just had to file several claims last fall, RCI refunded us all of our taxes and fees (which include port charges) and our pre-paid gratuitites.

Also, depending on how many days prior to departure you cancel, you may also receive a percentage of your cruise fare back from RCI http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=227

Edited by cruisenfever

Having just had to file several claims last fall, RCI refunded us all of our taxes and fees (which include port charges) and our pre-paid gratuitites.

Also, depending on how many days prior to departure you cancel, you may also receive a percentage of your cruise fare back from RCI http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=227

Thanks. But I'm confused about port charges. I think my TA separates it out, but it's actually part of the cruise fare, isn't it? If I do a mock booking on RCCL, it shows cruise fare & taxes/fees. The port charges are part of the fare, no? Are you saying you got a portion of the fare back for port charges?

Port charges are part of the taxes/fees.

And really whether you include taxes and gratuities is dependent on whether you are using the insurance to cover trip cancellation or trip interruption (or both). I don't know what RCI will refund once you've embarked and have to interrupt your trip.

OK, so my bottom line question is this: If the cruise fare is $2,000 and the taxes/fees are $200, how much do I insure my cruise for? $2000 or $2200?

Insure it for as much or as little as you want. I purchase medical transport coverage, but don't bother to insure the cruise itself. It's a question of how much money you want to spend on the slim chance you might need to recoup losses.