pills, meds on cruises

dr.dawg

hi, folks. i know this has probably been covered before, so i appreciate your tolerance. i am on a 14day b2b on the nieuw amsterdam. i have pill containers for two weeks, but i will be leaving 2 days prior to cruise and returning 2 days after. do we have to take pills in original bottles? or can i pack up two cell containers and put other pills in a baggie? taking a large bag of pills in original containers is really bulky. i take 14 pills a day; and some come in very large bottles. hope you can help. i cannot do without most of these medications. thanks. dawg

ps. i always take a list of my meds in my suitcase. and i have cruise health insurance.

My personal experience is for North American cruises and Caribbean, I take my plastic pill holder (7 days/4 compartments per day) and fill it before I leave home. It's in my carry on and no questions asked.

I then mix several meds (as long as you are competent enough to tell them apart) in a large pill bottle with several labels stuck on the outside, so that if anyone questions the contents I can say which pill is which, and have the drugstore labels with me. That way I only have to take a couple of containers vs. the 6 I'd have otherwise. I take enough to get me through the trip, with a couple of extra days' worth in case of travel delays.

I've never had an issue, even going to Europe or South America.

I do as Nanner does and have never been asked anything about meds including the Epipen syringe I carry for allergies. You should be fine if you have your meds list . I also take a couple of extra days worth in a ziplock bag in case I am delayed getting home.

The challenge is airport screening and clearing customs. Although this is a Canadian Gov't website with information for Canadian travellers, it does provide some great useful information http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication on the issues of travelling with prescription medications.

- Pack all medications in your carry-on baggage in their original, labelled containers to facilitate airport security and customs screening. Prescription medication is exempted from the liquid restrictions but must be presented to the screening officer separately from your carry-on baggage.

- Do not try to save luggage space by combining medications into a single container.

- Carry a copy of the original prescription and ensure that both the generic and trade names of the medication are included in case of loss or theft. A doctor's note describing why you are taking the medication is also recommended.

- Do not buy medication outside Canada unless you have been advised to do so by a health care professional. Be aware of counterfeit medications or those that may not meet Canadian standards.

- If you are carrying any unusual medication, check that it is legal and readily available in the country you intend to visit. Contact the foreign government office in Canada of the country you plan to visit before departing to make sure the medical supplies you intend to bring are allowed into the country.

Edited by cbr663

- Carry a copy of the original prescription and ensure that both the generic and trade names of the medication are included in case of loss or theft. A doctor's note describing why you are taking the medication is also recommended.

It is my understanding that the label on the prescription bottle will suffice as a copy of the original prescription.

I go to the drugstore and get them to print labels for the medications I take. I then put them on the small pill zip lock bag. I do take a 7 day pill box, so I fill that, then still have the meds separated, but with labels on the meds, when I need to refill the 7 day box. Takes up a lot less space and I carry them in my carry on bag. We are going on a 26 day TA in April, so I'm going to get my labels printed up this week.

After saying all of that, I have never had any of my meds questioned anywhere, anytime - but there is always the first time!

I learned the hard way about this years ago - pills all over my bag! Solution was to secure the container with tape or a rubber band.

Lately, as I need more pills now that I'm older, I get the small plastic ziploc bags from craft store and put one days' pills in each bag. Then put all those little bags in a regular quart size ziploc bag. Never had a problem anywhere with them always in my carryon. The packages of the small bags even have little paper stickon labels that I mark - Tues am, Tues pm, Wed am, etc. so I can remember if I took them or not.

I do carry a medication list in case of emergency, but never bother with labels or original bottles. Remember, security and customs folks are looking for big-time drug runners and none of us fit their profiles. They are not concerned with our little bags of assorted pills.

I used to travel a lot for work and now a lot in retirement and have only been stopped by customs once - that pesky little beagle smelled food in my carryon. I had put grapes in there to eat on the plane and then forgot about them. Embarrassing!

hi, folks. i know this has probably been covered before, so i appreciate your tolerance. i am on a 14day b2b on the nieuw amsterdam. i have pill containers for two weeks, but i will be leaving 2 days prior to cruise and returning 2 days after. do we have to take pills in original bottles? or can i pack up two cell containers and put other pills in a baggie? taking a large bag of pills in original containers is really bulky. i take 14 pills a day; and some come in very large bottles. hope you can help. i cannot do without most of these medications. thanks. dawg

ps. i always take a list of my meds in my suitcase. and i have cruise health insurance.

When we are on long cruises I put each day's morning, evening, night pills into 2x2" zip locks purchased from SciPlus.com. I put those packets into a larger ziplock along with copies of the original labels. We've never had a problem, even customs checked contents of our carryon and other luggage.

For TSA I also have a printout from their site where it says pills do not have to be in their original containers. I've never had to show it since TSA has never questioned the pill packets in our xrayed carryon.

Since we have no choice but to fly, all medications stay in their original pill containers which goes into a small medical bag. We have had a couple of incidents over the years where the medications were checked by TSA. I would never risk not having the medications in their original bottles.

DH takes many, many medications -- some 3 times a day. And some of them are Horse Pills. Our drug store will make up smaller containers for us to take on our trips with the updated labels. I just give them 2 weeks notice.

Some pharmacies around here offer a service of making up blister packs of meds, up to 30 days worth (I think). I haven't seen them but IIRC from info from a friend, they will sort them into time of day, as well, I think.

Partway down the page here, is a picture of one filled

http://www.nps.org.au/publications/consumer/medicines-talk/2009/medicinestalk-no-29-autumn-2009/forget-or-muddle-your-pills-at-times

Maybe you could find a pharmacy to do up these for you, enough days (plus a couple of spares in case of travel delays)....

To avoid hassle and for clarity in an emergency (ER nurse in my 1st career) please take the labeled bottles. "I take that big white one and the little green one for my heart and the little pink one for my nerves" does not help. Assume you will need for someone to know and be thankful when they don't.

"I'm allergic to a oval white pill they gave me 30 years ago.." also does not help!

I know they want everything in original bottles. However, I fly quite regularly and just take the necessary amount in a small divided container. I do the same for cruises. Have never had any issues in the last thirty years.

pill containers can pop open...I learned the hard way about this years ago - pills all over my bag! Solution was to secure the container with tape or a rubber band.

Just sayin': tape leaves a goo and loses it's sticky; and rubber bands dry rot and break.

In lieu of rubber bands or tape, I put 2 weekly pill containers lids to lids and secure them with those rubber bracelets that you see everywhere:

20121002025914.jpg

They are the perfect size, holds it secure, are reusable, and are almost indestructible.

We take our pharmacy Rx bottles when we fly.

I transfer pills into weekly pill holders when we arrive at embarkation port and for boarding the ship. I've never had anyone question pills when boarding but I certainly have when flying. We cannot risk having our medications confiscated so I take no changes.

Some pharmacies around here offer a service of making up blister packs of meds, up to 30 days worth (I think). I haven't seen them but IIRC from info from a friend, they will sort them into time of day, as well, I think.

Partway down the page here, is a picture of one filled

http://www.nps.org.au/publications/consumer/medicines-talk/2009/medicinestalk-no-29-autumn-2009/forget-or-muddle-your-pills-at-times

Maybe you could find a pharmacy to do up these for you, enough days (plus a couple of spares in case of travel delays)....

My pharmacist offered to make bliseter packs for us but warned TSA may not be happy about them. He said one or two of his customers had their pill confiscated. It isn't a question of are they supposed to let them through or not; it's a matter of being the flyer standing at security arguing I should be allowed to carry my pills anyway I want. I don't want to be that hassled person.

Just sayin': tape leaves a goo and loses it's sticky; and rubber bands dry rot and break.

In lieu of rubber bands or tape, I put 2 weekly pill containers lids to lids and secure them with those rubber bracelets that you see everywhere:

20121002025914.jpg

They are the perfect size, holds it secure, are reusable, and are almost indestructible.

GREAT idea. Thanks. I will be at the Party Store looking for some of those bands. My rubber bands have snapped a few times. :eek:

I go to the drugstore and get them to print labels for the medications I take. I then put them on the small pill zip lock bag. I do take a 7 day pill box, so I fill that, then still have the meds separated, but with labels on the meds, when I need to refill the 7 day box. Takes up a lot less space and I carry them in my carry on bag. We are going on a 26 day TA in April, so I'm going to get my labels printed up this week.

After saying all of that, I have never had any of my meds questioned anywhere, anytime - but there is always the first time!

great idea about having the labels printed out. Thanks for sharing:)

We have our Meds filled at CVS for 90 days.. Attached to the bag the prescription is in, is a bill & a typewritten copy of the prescription from the pharmacy..

Normally I put all of our a.m. & p.m. meds in the long plastic containers. secure them with a heavy rubber band & place them in a zip lock bag with all the prescriptions which were printed up by the pharmacy..

For our 9 week cruise I got smaller pill bottles from the pharmacy, placed 10 (one extra) weeks of each pill in the smaller pill bottles & taped the copy of the drugstores typewritten prescription on each bottle.. Took the empty plastic containers with us so I could make them up for 4 weeks at a time while on the cruise..

On that cruise I had a separate bag just for meds, as also took OTC things which we may or may not need such as band-aids, Excedrin, Tums, cold meds, anti-diarrhea meds, cough drops etc. etc. You name it I packed it!

:D:D

Never had a problem..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

There are many suggestions here on this thread for traveling with your meds on vacation. I think a lot depends on if you are flying to your destination, or casually driving.

I have another med suggestion to everyone. Most of you probably carry extra meds with you on a trip. I always did, until my recent cruise on Feb. 24. For whatever reason I only packed up extra pills for our 2 day car trip home. I ALWAYS take at least a week extra meds to use after a cruise ... :rolleyes: no idea why I changed what always worked this time.

We departed the ship in Ft. Lauderdale last Friday. Taxied to our car and hit the road. Within minutes we had a message from a neighbor about an ice storm and huge power outage in our area. The power was expected to be out for days. Unfortunately for me, my oxygen needs mean I must have power in my home. I have a 24-hr back-up unit, and about 15 hours on batteries, along with my charger for in the car. After those run out, I would have to have power! Long story short, we had to divert to our daughter's home and wait out the power situation. There I was and running out of pills. Luckily my meds are from a national chain and I was able to obtain refills on everything I needed while out of town. But lesson learned! I will never travel again without at least an extra week or more worth of meds. I feel really stupid I did this.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Happy it worked out okay for you, Linda&Vern, but can imagine your stress. Good you were able to get Rx refills from your pharmacy's local store where you were staying.

Good advice. Always have at least an extra week's worth of meds.

Hope your house was in good condition when you finally arrived home.

There are many suggestions here on this thread for traveling with your meds on vacation. I think a lot depends on if you are flying to your destination, or casually driving.

I have another med suggestion to everyone. Most of you probably carry extra meds with you on a trip. I always did, until my recent cruise on Feb. 24. For whatever reason I only packed up extra pills for our 2 day car trip home. I ALWAYS take at least a week extra meds to use after a cruise ... :rolleyes: no idea why I changed what always worked this time.

We departed the ship in Ft. Lauderdale last Friday. Taxied to our car and hit the road. Within minutes we had a message from a neighbor about an ice storm and huge power outage in our area. The power was expected to be out for days. Unfortunately for me, my oxygen needs mean I must have power in my home. I have a 24-hr back-up unit, and about 15 hours on batteries, along with my charger for in the car. After those run out, I would have to have power! Long story short, we had to divert to our daughter's home and wait out the power situation. There I was and running out of pills. Luckily my meds are from a national chain and I was able to obtain refills on everything I needed while out of town. But lesson learned! I will never travel again without at least an extra week or more worth of meds. I feel really stupid I did this.

Thankfully you had your daughter's house to go to and were able to get medications at a drug store there.

I also always carry an extra week's supply of medications -- just in case.

ALong with your carry on, you are allowed to bring on board a medical bag like the ones a cpap comes in. If you have a great many pill containers, you could carry them in what you would call a medical bag.

That's a good point.

For those who say they don't bring the pharmacy bottles because it would take too much space in their carry on, they can bring a separate bag that wouldn't count against their limit if ALL they put in it is pill bottles/medical supplies.