Tableclothes, Whats the big deal?

cruisin chef

Just off the Glory where tablecloths used only 2 nights in main dining room. Actually the tables looked very nice without them. They have put all new wood table tops on the tables, wine bottles with little slate on a twine with the table # on it, etc. I didn't think I'd like the new look but I did.

Our waiter didn't think it was a cost savings not to use them since they had to replace all the table tops, which was not cheap. Does save on laundry. He believes this won't go much further on other ships because of all the carrying on people are doing about it.

People don't like change. Human nature. Don't get stressed until you go & see it. It really isn't all that monumental.

Trust me turning over a table with tablecloths take way longer than one without...... And as for the rags... if it is done properly the rag should be in a sanitizer solution that kills germs like norovirus.

When I worked in a restaurant it was water.

We called them towels.

They were washed in a washing machine, but they were used on a bunch of tables before we switched them out.

Here is a link to a table without tablecloths:

http://www.sunkissedadventures.com/uploads/1/0/8/9/10896706/9895199_orig.jpg

I think it still looks nice. I am late 20's, and we have a beautiful wood table in our home with no tablecloth, just placemats. I think it is just the style now. I would never have a tablecloth in my home.

Ever been in a restaurant where they don't have tablecloths? Ever see a nasty discolored rag get pulled out of a bucket filled with some foul smelling liquid of questionable origin? Ever then see that same rag used to wipe down your table? Then have you seen the server put your silverware on top of that less than sanitary surface?

Besides still being used to create a more special/upscale atmosphere tablecloths are far more sanitary than whatever weakened cleaner came out of that bucket.:cool:

Edited by baychilla

"Bed Spreads are nasty!! Will not stay in a hotel that uses bed spreads."

Okay. I did not know that people preferred to stay at hotels that provide no bed coverings. I must say that surprises me, but so do many preferences.

We are on the Liberty in June. I am disappointed in the fact that the tablecloths will not be on the tables. I cruise because I enjoy a more upscale experience than what I usually get at home. I actually do have a lot of tablecloths at home that we use on special occasions. In fact, my collection has mostly come from ports that we have visited while on cruises. This is just another way that Carnival is saving some money. I long for the old days of cruising when the MDR food was always excellent and the servers were not overworked.

For the cost saving part, first Carnival has to purchase good looking tables. It will not take long for the table being scratched or damaged. Then they have to repair them. So I do not think they will save much, if not cost them more.

Of course, that's if Carnival cares.

Okay. I did not know that people preferred to stay at hotels that provide no bed coverings. I must say that surprises me, but so do many preferences.

Seriously?! No bed coverings?! We're talking about the quilted bedspreads that weren't washed between visitors. I will not stay at a hotel that still has those. What they are going to now are the duvets with covers like Carnival currently has in their staterooms.

I still do not understand the "It's OK since we do the same at home" part. So if you wash your dishes at home, it is OK if Carnival wants you to wash your dishes on ship too?

No, I would not go on a cruise if I had to cook or wash my own dishes. That would defeat the purpose. I pay for that. I do not pay for tablecloths. But I'm sure for those of you that wish to have them, they could add a tablecloth charge to your S&S Account. LOL!

My statement was referring to the fact that if you have nice tables, then it can look very nice without covering it up with a tablecloth. Back in the day, my grandmother and mother always used tablecloths at dinner. Why? I don't know. I guess that's just the way it was. But if it was a special occasion and we are at the formal, gorgeous solid wood dining room table, then we didn't use one.

I go on a cruise to have my meals cooked for me, someone to straighten my room (although besides making the bed and giving me new towels, that's about all they need to do in my room unlike some of the slobs' rooms that I see when the doors are propped open! OMG how people can live in such filth and expect others to clean up after them is disgusting). But most of all to relax and enjoy myself. I do not cruise for tablecloths.

I don't know how cruise ships do it but many hotels/resorts only wash the comforter a few times a month. It isn't washed after every guest like the sheets are.

For the person that complained about silverware being set on a table with no tablecloth that had been wiped by a dirty rag, number one I have never been to a restaurant that places silverware directly on the table. It is always wrapped in a napkin or placed on the napkin. Number two most restaurants use a professional grade sanitizer so every time that cloth is placed in the bucket it isn't going into plain dirty water, it is going into sanitizer that should be dumped and redone after a certain amount of time.

Originally Posted by GatorGirl57 View Post

Here is a link to a table without tablecloths:

http://www.sunkissedadventures.com/u...95199_orig.jpg

I think it still looks nice. I am late 20's, and we have a beautiful wood table in our home with no tablecloth, just placemats. I think it is just the style now. I would never have a tablecloth in my home.

GatorGirl57, I think it looks nice too and fits the more casual nights in the MDR. I like that it looks bistro-style.:D Looking at the photo you posted, I see that the utensils are placed on a napkin and not directly unto the table. That's at it should be. On the other hand, I'm also happy that they are still using tableclothes on "formal" nights as it does add a nicer aspect to that night's dinner. JMHO.:D

Edited by mousey

• 2 months later...

With no table cloth do they have glasses and plates on rough sea that won't slide off? A little worried to wearing whatever drink or food on me. Hope also that the tables are not sticky. Anyway will do the experience on the Glory in August 2nd.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With no table cloth do they have glasses and plates on rough sea that won't slide off? A little worried to wearing whatever drink or food on me. Hope also that the tables are not sticky. Anyway will do the experience on the Glory in August 2nd.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would be willing to be that if the seas are rough enough to make glasses and plates slide off the table, that most people would not be eating.

I would be willing to be that if the seas are rough enough to make glasses and plates slide off the table, that most people would not be eating.

Not true, while on the Imagination, I had to catch my drink a few times and a bottle of wine fell off the table below us. I don't know if it was a dew point thing or what but our glasses were sweating a lot and getting table wet, causing things to slide around a bit. Seas were not that bad just a little motion of the ocean going on.

IMHO, I want nice table cloths. I think the cruise industry has lost a lot of elegance in recent years. I thought the MDR was for formal dining as apposed to the buffet which is informal dining. Granted, not everyone wants a formal experience and never set foot in the MRD. That's fine, they bought a nice camping trip. But I'm not paying thousands of dollars for what I can get at IHOP for $8.95 lol...:eek:

Not true, while on the Imagination, I had to catch my drink a few times and a bottle of wine fell off the table below us. I don't know if it was a dew point thing or what but our glasses were sweating a lot and getting table wet, causing things to slide around a bit. Seas were not that bad just a little motion of the ocean going on.

I'm thinking more of the plates sliding off the table.

Is it official? Are all Carnival ships now sailing not putting tablecloths on their MDR tables? I haven't sailed since 2012. I know that there is now FTTF and the menus have changed (that official now...right?). Just want to get up-to-date as we may be going on a 4-day Carnival cruise out of SoCal soon.

It's not about the tablecloths. It's about Carnival's decision to make everything as cheap as possible. From dinner to entertainment to Loyalty rewards, Carnival has chosen to be the "CHEAP" line.

There's an article today on my home page stating that many high-class restaurants are eliminating tablecloths.

We did have them this past January on Liberty which was the 2nd ship to have the new menus. The tables underneath the cloth were hideous so they had no choice. They have to replace the tables before they can go without tablecloths.

Well, its not a deal breaker for us but I would definitely prefer table cloths. For me, its more about the gradual slide into mediocrity. Many on this thread have been cruising a long time. We remember when the dining experience was very upscale on every night. The waiters wore white gloves, used a little brass brush to brush off the crumbs between courses etc. The shows were vegas quality and we had live steel drum bands playing cruise music on the pool deck.

This was back in the middle 90's. Since then, alot has changed. Now we are subjected to a hokey collection of games like Hazbro (Embarrassing in my opinion), recorded music that so-called "dancers" dance to, Serving myself out of a bowl in the MDR, and to quote Yul Brenner...ect...ect...ect.

The luster and Classiness of cruising is long gone. And this is not just on Carnival, Royal and NCL have made similar changes and I am sure other lines have as well.

The big question...where will it stop? IMHO, we are stilll on the down side of the slope.

I guess I understand that. I actually prefer no tablecloths when I go out to eat because I am always scared to spill things. lol

LOL. I was going to say the opposite. It's nice for the tablecloth to sop up the spill! :p Place mats would help, but there were none on my recent cruise. The table looked nice. It was a big (10 top) round polished wood table with little square plates I think were supposed to be chargers. Very pretty. I still like a tablecloth, but that's not going to be the thing to put me off a cruise.