Beach Path - Horseshoe Bay

SpokaneDan

I walked from Horseshoe Bay to Warwick and back, hung out on the beach the rest of the day. That way I was able to have a shower in the changing area they have at HSB. Good food and lots of Swizzle after.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

NYC - no warning signs on the beach in early April. Only found out about it on this forum shortly after return.:( None of our family got ill, or found the water unusual. :)

shof: I am guesstimating the walk from bus stop to the beach at 600 feet down slope on a decent side walk (wheelchair accessible, IMO), and to confirm flowers44, there was a van service to shuttle pax ($2 pp) back up to the bus stop when we were there.

How cold was the water? Leaving on Sunday, so will be a little warmer than when you went. Seems like air temp and water temp is the same on all the weather websites I check. But first hand report would be better.

How far is the Swizzle Inn from Warwick Long Bay? And if the main road is not walkable how do you get to it? We are using bus passes and also want to end up in Somerset Village.

You take the bus on the South road. On the road there are many bus stops. There is one near the South Shore Swizzle Inn on both sides. The Swizzle is on the raod. The beaches. Warwick Long Bay, Horseshoe, etc. have bus stops. The beaches are not right on the South road. You will have to walk down/up from the South road to the beach. There are access roads or paths. It's best to tell the bus driver where you want to get off. They will usually let you know at the stop. The distances are not far but as has been mentioned, no sidewalks. As you have a pass you just hop on and off the bus at the bus stops along the road.

Edited by Charles4515

No sidewalks, no shoulders, no breakdown lanes and a lot of fast-moving traffic.

Thanks. I thought there was a path/trail between the road and the water? It appears to go through South Shore Park. There is a map posted towards the start of the thread "Bermuda beaches". Don't know if the trail is continuous but it looks as though it might be a nice walk.

Philip

Edited by pmcdunnough

Thanks. I thought there was a path/trail between the road and the water? It appears to go through South Shore Park. There is a map posted towards the start of the thread "Bermuda beaches". Don't know if the trail is continuous but it looks as though it might be a nice walk.

Philip

Yes there are paths from South Road to the beach areas and paths you can walk to get from one beach to another. What I was talking about was walking on South Road itself because I was answering a question about walking from the beaches to the Swizzle Inn. That requires using South Road, not the paths within South Shore Park that allow you to walk from beach to beach.

We want to visit a few beaches for an hour or so each. Warwick and, horseshoe beach are on our list as is Elbow beach. I think we want to bus from port. Which one is nearest to port? Warwick? If we get off there, is the path down to the beach clearly marked? How far & how steep? Do multiple beaches offer the shuttle or only be? Which one?

After the beach, we plan to walk around Hamilton and then ferry back. Or would you do Hamilton first, then beaches then back to ship?

We want to visit a few beaches for an hour or so each. Warwick and, horseshoe beach are on our list as is Elbow beach. I think we want to bus from port. Which one is nearest to port? Warwick? If we get off there, is the path down to the beach clearly marked? How far & how steep? Do multiple beaches offer the shuttle or only be? Which one?

After the beach, we plan to walk around Hamilton and then ferry back. Or would you do Hamilton first, then beaches then back to ship?

Something to consider when selecting the order you do Hamilton and the beaches. When riding on a Bermuda bus, you can not wear bathing suits, suits must be covered. Not all the public beaches you mentioned have changing rooms and showers. In fact, Horseshoe Bay is the only one that has them unless you are able to sneak into those on the private side at Elbow Beach.

Unless you end the beach part of the day at HSB or find a suitable place to change, you will have to be flexible on the beaches you visit.

Here are 2 ways to see 2 beaches, Horseshoe Bay and Warwick Bay.

• From the Dockyard, take a route #7 bus to WB and walk, following the beach paths, to HSB. From HSB, take an inbound route #7 bus to Hamilton, and then the ferry back to the Dockyard.
  • From the Dockyard, take the ferry to Hamilton. From Hamilton, take an outbound route #7 bus to WB and walk, following the beach paths, to HSB. From HSB, take an outbound route #7 bus to the Dockyard.

From the Dockyard, the distances to each beach are: HSB, about 10 miles; WB, about 11 miles; EB, about 13 miles.

There are access roads to each beach from the bus route (South Rd). The beach path between WB and HSB is easily followed, but here is a satellite photo with the paths clearly identifiable:

BeachPathV3.jpg

SBtS

My goodness, I would never want to wear just a bathing suit in public. That's what cover ups are made for-no need to change necessarily.

Thanks for the info.

Still looking for info on which beaches have the $2 shuttle from the bus? How steep is the walk from bus stop down to beach?(2 fit 70 yr olds plus me-unfit 40 yr old)

My goodness, I would never want to wear just a bathing suit in public. That's what cover ups are made for-no need to change necessarily.

Thanks for the info.

Still looking for info on which beaches have the $2 shuttle from the bus? How steep is the walk from bus stop down to beach?(2 fit 70 yr olds plus me-unfit 40 yr old)

The $2 shuttle is only at Horseshoe Bay.

It's not THAT steep to walk down, it's walking back up after a day in the sun that will get you.

No sidewalks, no shoulders, no breakdown lanes and a lot of fast-moving traffic.

Just noticed the "lot" word. Are all roads in Bermuda just full of fast moving cars? Or are there specific times that are worse. There seems to be Middle, South and North Main roads. Even if you stay away from Hamilton are these all congested all the the time with cars speeding like fiends? If so then I can see why many consider scooters a risk. There do seem to be conflicting views on this though.

Philip

Just noticed the "lot" word. Are all roads in Bermuda just full of fast moving cars? Or are there specific times that are worse. There seems to be Middle, South and North Main roads. Even if you stay away from Hamilton are these all congested all the the time with cars speeding like fiends? If so then I can see why many consider scooters a risk. There do seem to be conflicting views on this though.

Philip

I wouldn't say "all roads at all times", but South Road has heavy traffic because it's the only way to get to the popular South Shore beaches.

Thanks for the info.

The walk is easy down, but back up, it is a little bit of an incline, but just take it slow and you'll be fine....after all, what's the hurry! :)

The walk is easy down, but back up, it is a little bit of an incline, but just take it slow and you'll be fine....after all, what's the hurry! :)

The only time I took that van (it's only at Horseshoe) was when there was an intense thunderstorm) I walked up many times. The walk up won't be hard for most. Most who take the van could have walked up. And it's not even a long walk! If someone has mobility issues then the van makes sense. I can't see someone walking from Horseshoe to Warwick needing the van service. That walk would not something anyone with mobility issues would want to partake!

Edited by Charles4515

My parents are 70, dad with recent heart surgery. I want to be sure there is an alternative way up if he is too tired from the walk. We'll do Warwick first and walk to Horseshoe. Are you saying that is an easy or tough walk?

Yes, at Horseshoe Bay, there is a shuttle that carries people up and down the hill of the access road. It runs from the top of the access road where it intersects with South Rd, the bus route, and to the bottom of the access road.

I won't say it is an easy walk on the paths. Some are hard packed, some are beach sand, some are grass, but can't remember how hilly it is. How is your dad's balance? I'm close to your dad's age and did it after a HA, stroke, and quadruple by pass, but not as recent as your dad's.

SBtS

He's actually doing quite well and it is already 9 mths passed. He should be fine. Balance is fine. I just want to be sure he has an alternative if he can't get back up. We plan to stop at each beach so I think the walk between the 5 beaches will be fine with lots of rest stops. Thanks for the info.

He's actually doing quite well and it is already 9 mths passed. He should be fine. Balance is fine. I just want to be sure he has an alternative if he can't get back up. We plan to stop at each beach so I think the walk between the 5 beaches will be fine with lots of rest stops. Thanks for the info.

It is not like walking down one long straight beach. There are rock formations. Sometimes you have to go up around and back down. Also depending on the tides you might have to take a path up and back down. There is ony one place with a shuttle up, Horseshoe. I think if walking up at Horseshoe is going to be a problem then walking between Warwick and Horseshoe could be a problem.

An alternative would be to start at Horseshoe and only go part way, turn back and return to Horseshoe.

Edited by Charles4515