reflection question

nickd508

Hey everyone! I'm taking my first cruise aboard the celebrity reflection on march 22nd! I'm really excited, and can't wait. I'm taking my girlfriend with me. It will be the first cruise for both of us. I've been reading the boards here, and noticed a few posts about this ship having more movement than most, even in calm seas. I'm a bit worried for my girl, as she gets motion sickness pretty easily. Just wanted to get some feedback from recent reflection cruisers to see what your experience was. Thanks for the help.

Can't comment on Reflection specifically, but I am REALLY prone to motion sickness. If your girlfriend knows she gets motion sickness she should start treatment BEFORE YOU GET ON THE SHIP.

I am not a medical professional so she should probably talk to her doctor before taking any medication ... But

The easiest medication to acquire is Bonine (medication - meclizine). She should try a trial of taking 1/2 pill BEFORE bed a few days before you cruise. It shouldn't make her too drowsy, but if it does she could look at ginger tablets, sea bands and other options.

I personally use the scopolomine patch with no adverse reactions, but this requires a prescription.

Edited by JanineM

Nick, we just got back from the March 1 sailing. The first night into mid morning was bumpy. I get seasick but did not get affected. My wife and many others felt nausea. After that pretty smooth. Bonine good if needed but can zonk you out a bit. On the way back, much better. You are in for a great experience, you picked a great ship!!

On Reflection on eastern Caribbean on 2/22 sailing the seas were so calm that 99% of the time there was zero, nill, no movement at all! The ship was steady as a rock, with no vibration or movement. :)

It was quite astonishing to realize how fast we were really going.

As a precaution, to minimize sense of movement, you are best to have a mid ship cabin, lower down.

Thanks to all that replied! My girlfriend is going to bring bonine. She's a bit leery of the patch, as she's heard it can have some side effects. She is sensitive to meds, so hopefully the bonine won't knock her out!

I have read the first day going into San Juan can be rough, so we will be prepared. Sea bands and ginger too! I booked us on deck 7 mid ship, so maybe that will help!

Thanks, and Jess thanks you too!

Nick,

I am on the same cruise as you and I did this same exact itinerary last year on the Reflection. The cruise when we first leave does get a bit rocky but it smooths out the closer to Puerto Rico we get. After Puerto Rico it is smooth sailing. I have heard that if you are going to take motion sickness stuff that you should start before the ship leaves rather than waiting for the symptoms to be felt. They also make patches and the ginger candies also work. This will be cruise 8 for us and with the exception of the Allure of the Seas I didn't feel any more motion on any of the other ships.

P.S.- if you haven't done so already make sure you head over the the "Celebrity Connections" thread for our cruise and make sure to join us at the sunset bar for the sail away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on the Reflection last Nov at the end of the 'windy' season :D our 25 th year of sailing. The Ship is very stable, but 7-10 foot swells will make even the most sea worthy vessel rock an roll. March is not known for rolling sea's, she should be fine. Great choice on sailing he a Reflection for your first.

I get quite motion sick, and I've had a bad experience with the patch. These days, I take Dramamine starting with a half pill a day or two before the cruise. Once on the cruise, I take a quarter pill before bed each night. If I take more, I get very drowsy.

I've been on this exact itinerary about 3 times now at this time of year, and I've found the return trip can get pretty rough, too. On those nights (or, more likely, the last night) I take a half pill.

On Reflection on eastern Caribbean on 2/22 sailing the seas were so calm that 99% of the time there was zero, nill, no movement at all! The ship was steady as a rock, with no vibration or movement. :)

It was quite astonishing to realize how fast we were really going.

As a precaution, to minimize sense of movement, you are best to have a mid ship cabin, lower down.

Totally agree. We were on the same sailing and we felt absolutely no movement at all. Now of course part are based on the seas and we were blessed with great seas and little wind until the last sea day.