What to do on Hilo and Kailua Kona, Hawaii

maryanne356

Got lots of good info about Maui. Now asking about these 2 ports. The ship does not seem to have anything to do thru their excursions. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Sailing on the Radiance of the Seas on April 27, 2014. In both ports 8-6.

Thanks,

Mary Anne

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

There are many threads that talk about what to do in each port - just skim the titles or do a search. Also, I just checked the RCI "Ports of Call' section, clicked on 'Kailua-Kona" and "Hilo" and lots of tours come up. Is it possibly too early to see bookable listings for your particular cruise? You'll find plenty to do both places. Both ports are also good places to rent a car and explore on your own.

Hi Mary Anne,

We are on the same cruise. In Hilo we will be renting a car and driving to the Volcano National Park. In Kona we are doing the Ship's excursion "Snorkel & Dolphin Adventure". In Maui we are doing the "Adventure to Hana" ship excursion.

Six more weeks to go, can't wait.

Julie

In Hilo I would recommend a trip to Volcano National Park.

In Kona I would go to a coffee plantation.

I second the recommendation for the volcano national park, worth every penny.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you are in Hilo, it would be a sin :eek: to miss Volcano National Park...and you are in luck because Kilauea is active in two spots right now.

We enjoy Kilauea-Kona more than any other place in Hawaii. It's still has a small townish feel to it. I would love just walking around the village itself. But check the excursions that the ship is offering...maybe something will catch your eye - no matter what you choose to do in Kona...you can't go wrong. It's such a beautiful Island...such a beautiful place - in my book you cannot have a bad day there no matter what you choose to do.

Aloha!

From Hilo, it's definitely Volcano National Park!

It's an easy drive from Hilo, so renting a car for the day is a great idea. Just keep track of time, because you can spend as little or as much time on the crater as you want. The Crater Rim Drive is amazing (check on what's open; parts appear closed on the most current map); in something like 2 1/2 miles you pass through a rain forest, a high desert, and a woodland.

Consider lunch, or at least dessert and coffee, at the Volcano House; it's an amazing view over the crater rim.

Last year we did a all day tour with Rickys tours in Hilo, saw lots of that side of the island and volcano national park also. Ricky is very friendly and loves what he does. you will find lots of good recomendations on the Hawaii port of call boards.

In kona we did a ship tour that included the place of refuge and a coffee plantation, both very good. Then we headed up to Walmart on the hill using the free shuttle at the port. Bought very good local kona coffee and other local snacks. Saved a bunch of money especially over what the plantation was charging. Take a picture of your ship from the parking lot, the best view from a Walmart you will ever see:cool:

Have a wonderful cruise, the Hawaiian Islands are just beautiful, we can't wait to return on another cruise.

Bev

If you are in Hilo, it would be a sin :eek: to miss Volcano National Park...and you are in luck because Kilauea is active in two spots right now.

I agree that VNP is the highlight when in the port of Hilo, but you won't see lava activity, other than the gases spewing out of Halema`uma`u crater from the Jaggar Museum overlook ... which is still pretty amazing.

We enjoy Kilauea-Kona more than any other place in Hawaii.

Just a note to avoid confusion by others reading this that the town is called Kailua Kona :)

I think it really depends on the level of adventure you're looking for. When we visited Kona, we thoroughly enjoyed the Captain Zodiac Snorkel - it was one of our top experiences and we'd do it again in a heart beat. It also left us time to explore the town, have a fantastic lunch at the Kona Brewing Company, buy some local 100% Kona coffee, etc.

For Hilo, we are also glad we visited Volcano National Park, and we'll give another vote to Ricky's Tours.

Good luck & enjoy your adventure!

Hilo Rent a car and visit Volcanoes National Park. Walk thru the lava tube. Parking in this area can be a nightmare. You may choose to visit the lava tube first.

Kona - We went snorkeling to Captain's Cook Monument. We booked this tour thru the ship and it was the one of the best excursions we did. The snorkeling is great. I really liked walking around Kona and visiting the shops. The sidewalks are mostly shaded by the trees. There is a little beach near the pier for swimming. The local craft market is located a couple blocks away.

For Hilo, agree on Volcanoes National Park. Spectacular, but wear layers - it can get very chilly in the lava tubes!

Kona, we loved walking on Ali'i Drive and going to the Farmers market. It was our "off" day after several days of excursions. Talked to store owners and vendors and got a neat view of life on the Big Island.

Enjoy! We did this cruise a few years ago and are still talking about it.

I'm a little different with Kona. To really appreciate the Big Island, I would suggest renting a car and driving the Waimea. There is no other place in the world that looks like that part of the island. And the difference in terrain going from sea level to 2000 ft Waimea is like going from Mars to Ireland. It's a bit of a drive, but it sure helps one appreciate a volcanic island. The visit the coffee plantations if you have time.

Burt

• 2 weeks later...

We are so glad that we did a helicopter ride with Safari! We were able to see multiple spots with lava that came up to the surface and just overall amazing perspective on the scope of the lava field. Not to mention that it rained a little and the steam coming up gave it such an other worldly effect at that point! Our pilot did an incredible job of circling and making sure everyone on both sides saw everything.

I would highly recommend taking a Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour over the area. We saw coffee plantations, macadamia fields, and it is the absolute best view of the magnificent volcano! Totally worth it!!

• 1 month later...

I will be traveling the Pride of America the week of July 5-12 2014. The cruise excursions are either too expensive for 4 people or just nothing of interest. It is our first time in Kona Hawaii. I would love to know what people suggest we do. I have to older teenagers 16 and 19 tagging along. Suggestions are very welcome at this point. Also if you can suggest how to travel around to see the most would be welcome also. Thank you in advance.

We are going to be on POA 9/6/14 and we made reservations to do Marylou's Tours on Kona. Small group in van. They take you to what you want to see. We read so many good reviews of them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok I can't say anything bout kona waves were to big to come into port. But in Hilo we rented a car. I liked the tsunami museum and I also have to second the volcano park it was great. I also liked the Mauna Loa macadamia nut farm. With all the free samples and the store. I liked the macadamia nut liqueur. But the one place I could not get enough of was the little ice cream placed called Hilo's homemade ice cream. I want to say it was near the port. I had a macadamia ice cream and a Kona coffee ice cream and both were out of this world. This place is highly recommended.

We just came back from Pride of America and for Hilo and Kona, we booked private tours with Mary Lou's Big Island Tours and those were 2 of of best tours for the week. In Hilo, we went to Volcano National Park, the steam vents, the Jaggar museum, the Kilauea Iki Crater, the Thurston Lave tube, the Orchid farm, the Mauna Loa Macadamia farm, the Hilo Coffee Mill, Rainbow Falls, Banyan trees, Liliuokalani Japanese gardens, Hilo Bay front, the King Kam Statue, Richardson's Black Sand Beach. We were in a van with 5guests. She provides cold bottled water for you thru out the day.

On Kona, we went with Mary Lou's son Kyle for the day. We were only 4 guests. Kyle took us to Kona Joe's Coffee Plantation, the Kona coastline, The Captain Cook Momument, the City of Refuge, the painted Church, Magic sands beach, and we ate at Bubba Gumps Shrimp. I wanted some "Donkey Balls" and Kyle brought me to the store to buy some. Both Mary Lou and Kyle are so knowledgeable about Hilo and Kona. Ken, Mary Lou's husband also takes out tours.

I would have no problem recommending Mary Lou's tours for Hilo or Kona.

Marlene

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best places to Snorkel is Kahaluu beach near Keauhou Beach hotel. Free and you can take the Keauhou bus to get there. They rent masks and snorkels there. I lived there 10 years and you will see the most fish there right up close and personal. Take frozen peas or cheese and they will follow you.

Yes there is so much to see and do in Hilo. If you haven't been to Volcanoes National Park, it's the most visited location from Hilo. If this is your second trip you may want to try the Kalapana area. It's less crowded. There's also Mackenzie and Lava Trees parks. There are lots of good independent tour operators in Hilo ... check TripAdvisor. Hilo is a beautiful town with lots of charm and Aloha.