TimeLapse of Gatun Locks Transit from Zuiderdam

65 Gator

Looks like you had good whether that day. Any advise of how to best enjoy the actual event?

g

Quite a few people watched from the bow and there are running commentaries as well as Panama Buns to munch on. I liked the view from my verandah but that also depends on which side of the locks you are on and what traffic is in other lane. The initial transit is quite early and the return is after noon. There is enough going on that you can get a good sense of the whole process from just about anywhere on the ship. They had some very nice literature on the ship that explained the whole process as well as videos on the TV.

Enjoy...

Thanks for the video.

Having done full transits quite a few times and partial transits several times (do a couple of different shore excursions) -- we now enjoy sitting out on the verandah munching on the Panama Buns.

My sentiments exactly. I spent a year and a half in Panama many years ago and watched hundreds of ships go by. Have since done two partial and one full transit and agree that the verandah with a cold one is the place to be.

Edited by 65 Gator

Cool video. Thanks.

What was the "real time" that was compressed into 2 minutes?

Did you use a GoPro camera mounted to the rail?

I was using a GoPro 3 Black at 7 MP wide. It took an exposure every 2 seconds and I ran it for 4 hours total until we got to Colon. As I recall, it should be just over 96 minutes when played back at 24 fps.

I used a Gorilla Pod on the railing with a remote HDMI video monitor and a LiIon USB battery pack. I had a safety cable attached "just in case". It was a hoot to see the freighter come into the frame at just the right time.

I was using a GoPro 3 Black at 7 MP wide. It took an exposure every 2 seconds and I ran it for 4 hours total until we got to Colon. As I recall, it should be just over 96 minutes when played back at 24 fps.

I used a Gorilla Pod on the railing with a remote HDMI video monitor and a LiIon USB battery pack. I had a safety cable attached "just in case". It was a hoot to see the freighter come into the frame at just the right time.

Thanks for the info. Good Job!

Thanks. Great job!

Thanks for the video. I'll be on the same cruise as g&gtravel so I'm counting the days. Looking forward to the experience! We're also getting a full Lunar eclipse on April 15th so hopefully the weather cooperates!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app