On board entertainment

DrJW

How did the las vegas type reviews and shows get started on ships ?

On the mega ships, I assume it is a way of trying to one-up each other and attract new passengers. With thousands of guests and some lines charging extra for some shows, they can afford it.

On the smaller lines like Oceania, my best guess is that it's in response to the tepid reviews of the past entertainment. At least, that's the only thing that makes sense to me, because on the non-production show nights, almost all the entertainment (soloists, magicians, comedians, instrumentalists, etc) are identical on all the ships. The only difference I've ever discerned is the size of the production show casts.

Oceania never had "production" shows when I started cruising with them; the few shows that had any singing/dancing were performed by members of the Cruise Director's staff, such as assistant CD, social hostess and such. So-called production shows were introduced only in the past few years.

The sad thing is that no matter what Oceania's entertainment department does, the critics continue to describe the efforts as weak. What I find amusing is that most of those critics who declare the entertainment weak are those who rarely, if ever, attend a show. How the heck would they know? Some of them seem to be looking down their noses at those who do like the shows; some of the others seem to be folks who are jumping on what they perceive to be the bandwagon.

Yet, the showrooms remain full, and as can be seen from many of the respondents to this thread, the shows are great.

While I may be a hick from Okeechobee, I'm not totally unsophisticated, I've been to Broadway shows, and I can assure you there will never be a Broadway-type show on any ship the size of Oceania. While I tend to prefer classical music and opera, I appreciate the effort entertainment director Michael Day expends to try and please as many guests as possible.

I'm just tired of the nay-saying by folks who never, or only rarely, attend a show.

Yes Pam, he's a Connecticut boy. as you may know.

61.jpg And we know him from his post grad days at the Minetta Lane, when he was just the most talented kid in town.

Patrick_Dunn.jpg

Thanks for the pin-up reminder!:)

These young people also are very fun to talk with when you encounter them working other entertainment venues (such as trivia or a solo show in Horizons).

The sad thing is that no matter what Oceania's entertainment department does, the critics continue to describe the efforts as weak. What I find amusing is that most of those critics who declare the entertainment weak are those who rarely, if ever, attend a show. How the heck would they know? Some of them seem to be looking down their noses at those who do like the shows; some of the others seem to be folks who are jumping on what they perceive to be the bandwagon.

Yet, the showrooms remain full, and as can be seen from many of the respondents to this thread, the shows are great.

While I may be a hick from Okeechobee, I'm not totally unsophisticated, I've been to Broadway shows, and I can assure you there will never be a Broadway-type show on any ship the size of Oceania. While I tend to prefer classical music and opera, I appreciate the effort entertainment director Michael Day expends to try and please as many guests as possible.

I'm just tired of the nay-saying by folks who never, or only rarely, attend a show.

Couldn't agree more. We regularly attend Broadway productions, and while the onboard quality can never be the equal, we took pleasure in and enjoyed the Jean Ann Ryan productions on Riviera.

Edited by ohmark

We go. We see a few numbers and leave. Hope springs eternal. We always sit in back so as not to offend the performers when we leave.

You enjoy. Lucky you. I am happy for you.

We do not. Our opinion. Every opinion is valid. Since when is one poster' s opinion more valid than another's ?

We find other things to do in the evening and we don't complain. It is what it is. We do not sail o for entertainment. We love o for everything but

I'm tired of those who think only their opinions are correct. No such thing. Opinions are opinions. Everyone is entitled to his of her own

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

All depends on what you want most. If it is on board entertainment is what you need than Oceania is not for you. The shows are third rate and we do not care. Not what we are there for. The ship and the food and the ports are first rate and that is what counts for us. Pays your money and takes your choice. :):)

some people just like to keep beating their opinions to others until they agree

;)

If you like the shows go if you do not like the shows do not go

Easy Peasy

I Thought that these boards are for us to give our opinions. No matter what the subject all we have to contribute are our opinions. I know it helps us quite often. We sift thru different opinions and then make up our minds. :)

All depends on what you want most. If it is on board entertainment is what you need than Oceania is not for you. :):)

That's assuming I have to make a choice. My opinion is that we like both wonderful ports during the day, and some relaxing entertainment at night. O fills the bill quite nicely.

That's assuming I have to make a choice. My opinion is that we like both wonderful ports during the day, and some relaxing entertainment at night. O fills the bill quite nicely.

Works for us too. :):)

+1

agree also

I don't believe Lyn was saying you aren't permitted to voice a differing opinion. She's the one who keeps on saying "it's your choice", after all.

She's commenting about the way these things just never end. I happen to agree with her.

Sometimes I get the feeling that people definitely ARE trying to change my mind about the entertainment (and that goes for posters on all sides of the issue). You're certainly free to say you love it or hate it, or don't much care.

Mura

...If it is on board entertainment is what you need than Oceania is not for you. The shows are third rate...

See, that doesn't sound like opinion -- it sounds like you are stating fact rather than opinion. It also sounds like belittling the folks who like the shows. Maybe I have thin skin.

...Sometimes I get the feeling that people definitely ARE trying to change my mind about the entertainment...

I may give that impression, but what I'm actually trying to do is offer a different opinion from statements like above. I'm not trying to browbeat anyone into liking the shows, in fact I often thank those folks for insuring there is space in the theater for the more than 50% of guests who want to attend. I also try really hard to introduce some facts rather than emotional lore.

I may give that impression, but what I'm actually trying to do is offer a different opinion from statements like above. I'm not trying to browbeat anyone into liking the shows, in fact I often thank those folks for insuring there is space in the theater for the more than 50% of guests who want to attend. I also try really hard to introduce some facts rather than emotional lore.

No, Don, I wasn't directing my comment at you. I should have quoted the original statement! Some of these got a bit out of order, I think.

While I myself tend not to care for the shows, we've seen some we liked very much. Personal taste has a lot to do with our various opinions on this subject.

Mura