Carnival comes back to Norfolk!

rnhbqm4413

I don't understand why no ship ever comes year round from here, and they don't go to the Caribbean. It is a perfect location within reach, the climate is perfect for year round cruises, and a doable distance from many large cities.

I would live to sail out of Norfolk as I live in Va. Beach, but I can't do any of the ones offered. I need summer vacations due to working for the city schools. :(

I don't understand why no ship ever comes year round from here, and they don't go to the Caribbean. It is a perfect location within reach, the climate is perfect for year round cruises, and a doable distance from many large cities.

I would live to sail out of Norfolk as I live in Va. Beach, but I can't do any of the ones offered. I need summer vacations due to working for the city schools. :(

I know right?! And then when the sailings don't sale as well Carnival will then use that as an excuse to pull out the port again. I would love to do the Bermuda sailing....but just 1 sailing? Good grief!:cool:

I was really looking forward to Bermuda if they added the port back. But just one sailing in October is so limited. I mean come on!! I already looked into Royal Carib, but they have nothing from NY as of yet. And I would guess when they do, it will be the Quantum, which I doubt I can afford. Their ship out of Baltimore to Bermuda is one of their older vessels and still IMO expensive. So as of now, I'm out of Bermuda options. :( Really wanted to do something within driving distance next year that WASN'T going to the Bahamas! Grrrrr....

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I know right?! And then when the sailings don't sale as well Carnival will then use that as an excuse to pull out the port again. I would love to do the Bermuda sailing....but just 1 sailing? Good grief!:cool:

I feel ya...like I said, we'd love to cruise to Bermuda from Norfolk again, but the 1 cruise they are offering is scheduled during the NASCAR weekend.

It looks like Carnival is doing again what they have traditionally done with Norfolk--whichever ship is positioned in Miami and then headed to New York for the summer stops off in Norfolk for a few cruises, and then the reverse is true in the winter on returning from New York to Miami, so there are only going to be a few dates for Norfolk as kind of a stopover port.

The only difference this time is that they are adding a cruise to Bermuda to complement the usual CTNs and Bahamas, which is a good thing--just not enough of a good thing... I sailed to Bermuda from Norfolk on Triumph way back in 2002, and it was one of my favorites.

It seems that Carnival has pretty much decided, at least for now, that Norfolk would not be profitable enough to warrant a dedicated ship. I know there was lots of disappointment when they completely pulled out, so bringing back a few cruises is better than nothing, but I'm sure many of us here would agree that if there were more choices and some different itineraries we'd be all over that. Too big of a gamble for the cruise line, though, at least as best we can tell by what they offer/don't offer from Norfolk.

I've never cruised out of Charleston, so I can't speak first hand, but it's interesting that Charleston has a dedicated ship and a planned new terminal if and when the fight with the historical society (or whatever the group that's fighting the cruise ship presence is called), is resolved, yet Norfolk doesn't get the love. I'm sure Charleston has lots of advantages for the people near there, so I'm not saying instead of Charleston, just in addition to. ;)

I know there are more factors to be considered than I can even postulate on, like environmental issues, costs to home port in a particular city, etc. I'm no expert by a long shot, and don't pretend to be, but it seems that the demand is there for more Norfolk cruises. Of course, there's Baltimore not that far from Norfolk, so maybe they don't feel the need to have another home port so close in geographical location.

HAL MS Maasdam November 16, 2005 Caribbean 10 Nights

HAL MS Maasdam October 17, 2006 Caribbean 11 Nights

HAL MS Maasdam November 19, 2006 Caribbean 11 Nights

Wow........we started cruising in 1993 - living in Lynchburg, VA at the time and didn't even know there were ships leaving from Norfolk......at that time we flew to Florida for all our cruises.........could have saved a lot of money and time if we knew...... Hopefully Carnival will entice other cruise lines to give Norfolk a try..........happy cruising!

Hi all Can anyone tell me how they handle disembarkment for aliens. Do we disembark with everyone or do we have to preclear customs in the lounge before anyone can leave the ship?

thanks

If you're asking specifically about Norfolk, I'm not sure. However we just sailed with a young man from Denmark on Disney. When we returned to Port Canaveral he went through customs along with the rest of us. Chances are Norfolk would handle it the same.

Welcome back to Norfolk, Carnival! We've missed you!!

I don't think the Norfolk sailings were pulled this year because of sales out of Norfolk, but more because they weren't transitioning a ship to/from Miami like they usually do for Glory and will do for Splendor next year. We live five hours from Norfolk and we love to window shop these cruises, but for the cost of 2 or 5 days on the ship we can do 7-10 days on another. We always eye the CTN, but at $1700 for my family of 4 to sail in a Porthole, we can do a 10 day Western Caribbean or 7 day Eastern Caribbean out of Baltimore.

I don't think the Norfolk sailings were pulled this year because of sales out of Norfolk, but more because they weren't transitioning a ship to/from Miami like they usually do for Glory and will do for Splendor next year. We live five hours from Norfolk and we love to window shop these cruises, but for the cost of 2 or 5 days on the ship we can do 7-10 days on another. We always eye the CTN, but at $1700 for my family of 4 to sail in a Porthole, we can do a 10 day Western Caribbean or 7 day Eastern Caribbean out of Baltimore.

That's always been our experience when looking at Norfolk vs. Baltimore. I'd love to sail more from Norfolk. The drive time is the same for us to Norfolk or Baltimore, but we have family in Norfolk we can stay with the night before and leave the car with.

Every time we've looked at the Norfolk cruises, though, we could sail on a 7 day from Baltimore (vs. 5 or 6 day from Norfolk) for about the same or less money - even factoring in parking in Baltimore for us. Baltimore also gave us our pick of dates vs. being stuck with a few limited weeks in May and October.

I'd LOVE to be able to book the Bermuda sailing, but October isn't a good month for us work-wise to take vacations.

• 2 weeks later...
I just booked two cabins on Splendor to Bermuda. My PVP said that one is selling fast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is pretty early for us to book…but I agree this one will sell out fast! Since dh is not so keen on flying anymore and he loved Bermuda when we went on the Pride this was a no brainer for us:):):) Excited even though it is a LONG time before the cruise:D

Ditto, just booked Bermuda today too. We have never been on the Splendor! I guess I had better check the Bermuda average climate for October now. Hopefully not too bad.

Heard the average high that time of year is 77degrees. However the water temp is in the 80's...might make up for the cooler air?

We are cruising the 6night on the 17th to Bahamas bc we want hot temps for beach enjoyment..bummer that the Bermuda sailing wasn't during a warmer time of year. Never been there and would've loved to try it. 70's just ain't gonna cut it for us :(

Royal~FreedomOfTheSeas 2014

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

I just booked two cabins on Splendor to Bermuda. My PVP said that one is selling fast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It will be interesting to see how the bookings go. When we were on the Glory out of Norfolk last October, they had 89 unbooked cabins, which according to our Behind the Fun tourguide, is very high for Carnival. The only Norfolk cruise that sold out last year was the 2 day cruise to nowhere.

We're booked on the Oct 17 sailing to Bahamas. DH and myself, Father in law, our son and his girlfriend, and possibly two more friends of ours. We live close and I work across the Elizabeth River in Portsmouth, so I see the port on a daily basis. We are thrilled that Carnival has come back to Norfolk, even for just a few sailings. FIL & MIL were avid cruisers and since she has passed, this will be his first cruise without her. When he said yes, and my husband said yes, I booked it before they could change their minds!

Edited by auntsuzy

• 2 weeks later...
It will be interesting to see how the bookings go. When we were on the Glory out of Norfolk last October, they had 89 unbooked cabins, which according to our Behind the Fun tourguide, is very high for Carnival. The only Norfolk cruise that sold out last year was the 2 day cruise to nowhere.

My wife and I sailed last Oct. 20 on the Glory from Norfolk. Was that the one with 89 unbooked cabins?

To be honest, I'm surprised the 2-day "Cruise to Nowhere" sailings sell well. The price is within spitting distance of a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas.

Virginia Gov. McAuliffe said in his first address to the General Assembly that they were working with Carnival and hoping to get a ship home-ported year-round in Norfolk. As much as I would LOVE to see that, I can't picture Carnival jumping at the chance if they can't even sell out a few sailings in the Spring and Fall. :(

In any event, I'm thrilled to get to cruise on the Splendor in 2015! My wife and I have cruised many times, but it will be my parents' first time. Can't wait to see their faces when they see the ship. :D

To be honest, I'm surprised the 2-day "Cruise to Nowhere" sailings sell well. The price is within spitting distance of a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas.

It surprises me too. There was a point last year where one could almost do the 7 day Eastern Carrib out of Baltimore for the cost of the CTN. We did one out of Baltimore when Sandy hit a few years ago (it was $99pp) and while it was a lovely time it was too short.

We booked this cruise. I too read the water temp is around 80 and that October and November were great months for snorkeling as the water is clearer then.

Remember, Bermuda is NOT the Caribbean, it's the Atlantic ocean and almost directly east of The Carolina's, so weather will be similar to theirs.

Edited by 1313steve