Caribbean Princess unable to leave port today :(

mjrich73

Latest news may leave today

Saw some grumpy people getting off today as well as some in better spirits. I am also dissapoonted but free eat and entertainment is not too bad

Hope we sail today and get two port stops

Edited by chipmaster
Updated

Update at 10:30am - they suspense gangway and we cannot leave. We may be able to leave sooner than we thought but still "up in the air". If we can leave in the next few hours we might be able to get Cozumel and half day at Costa Maya. If not then perhaps just Cozumel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder if Princess (CCL) will be able to obtain reimbursement for some of the millions it will lose from Kirby Inland Marine (KEX) whose barge is blocking the port.

Not barge fault! A ship hit it, sue them, that will keep u busy, no telling where registered.

Latest news may leave today

Saw some grumpy people getting off today as well as some in better spirits. I am also dissapoonted but free eat and entertainment is not too bad

Hope we sail today and get two port stops

Where did you get this news? Hope you do get out today.

From monitoring the March 22 CB roll call this morning, it sounds like most folks on board are making the most of a poor situation.

As one roll call member posted:

"I hear cruises are much better when the ship actually gets underway."

If I'd been on the ship, I would have probably offered to play tour guide to 2 or 3 fellow passengers. I'd have had my car there, and San Antonio would be too far to just go home for the day. I'd take a few new friends to NASA for the price of lunch, and a drink (once back on board).

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If they get stuck all week I think I will see if we can track down a few crew members who made it a special trip for the dd and invite them to dinner here, assuming the Captain will allow it.

If I were on board its a tough decision to stay or go...being aboard and away from home is a nice break from reality, but then again high speed wifi and a wide selection of beer and wine than sold when in Texas waters.

The port of Galveston is located in downtown Galveston. Galveston is a resort island with great beaches directly on the gulf of Mexico, resturants and hotels and worth a visit on its own.

Baytown is very far out from Houston proper and is located in an industrial area on canal system. A few miles away is the resort town of Kemah which has shopping and restaurants and is also located on a canal system.

With either one you have a long drive from the Houston airports to the boarding terminal of a cruise ship.

My husband and I have sailed from both ports and much prefer Galveston because of the Gulf beaches and the resort feel of the entire island of Galveston.

We will not be surprised if Princess returns to Galveston when their reduced cost incentive contract runs out for Baytown.

If I'd been on the ship, I would have probably offered to play tour guide to 2 or 3 fellow passengers. I'd have had my car there, and San Antonio would be too far to just go home for the day. I'd take a few new friends to NASA for the price of lunch, and a drink (once back on board).

Actually, someone on the roll call with an 11-seat van posted they are going to Space Center Houston today and have space for 5 fellow passengers to join them.

See the map in post #139

Dowtown Houston is about 25 miles from the port and is not on the map. It is a little further north than the upper left corner.

However, the city is a large one by area and the label "I45" near "NASA 1" marks where the city limits are at that point.

Following I45 (Gulf Freeway) north leads to downtown.

Thanks, DH is handicapped and it's good to know for the future if we would ever decide to sail from there - easy is better for us.

Since I think they said pax can go off until 6 pm, can't see them leaving before then. Or did I read that wrong.

Update at 10:30am - they suspense gangway and we cannot leave. We may be able to leave sooner than we thought but still "up in the air". If we can leave in the next few hours we might be able to get Cozumel and half day at Costa Maya. If not then perhaps just Cozumel.

Not barge fault! A ship hit it, sue them, that will keep u busy, no telling where registered.

Ships have the "right of way" in the ship channel, the barge/tug was the "give way" vessel!

This is a bad oil spill, will affect the area for a long time, hope you get to sail soon! Clean up proceeding, north wind pushing oil into the Gulf.

Actually, someone on the roll call with an 11-seat van posted they are going to Space Center Houston today and have space for 5 fellow passengers to join them.

That sounds like fun and very nice of the person with the van. As long as Princess gave me the option, I would stay on board and see what happens rather than leave permanently, but then I have to fly out and it wouldn't be worth the hassle to try to change flights to get home early. If I drove to the port, I would probably stay onboard one or two more days and then give up.

I hope they get some kind of cruise even if it's only a few days.

I'm on board. They have suspended ship leave for pax. Only allowing people who have decided to end their trip to head off while we are still docked in Houston. Seems we may get out tonight and should get one day in Cozumel. Hoping for some good sea days with sun. It's been too cold to enjoy the pools.

Since I think they said pax can go off until 6 pm, can't see them leaving before then. Or did I read that wrong.

My thoughts exactly - the post actually read 6 AM. It really doesn't sound (news reports) like the ship will be going anywhere soon.

Why is suing the answer to things? Sh** happens and lawsuits only generate demand for lawyers who really add little to society. The judicial system is in the business of creating useless demand for non values added wast of human capital. That is a tongue in cheek comment as the judicial system has a key place in keeping society in order but has run crazy and a huge wast if human capital in the us

Princess does not have stock, it is owned by Carnival. You can purchase Carnival Stock and get stockholder benefits on all the lines they own: Cunard, Seabourne, Holland America, P&O, Costa, and some that sail only in Europe. I bought years ago and have benefitted many times from the OBC offered to stockholders. The stock also pays a dividend. Just wanted to clarify.

There is much confusion about cruise ships berthed in TX.because there are two cruise ship ports near each other, but in very different locations for getting in or out to sea.

One port is in Bayport TX. ( Also labled Houston,Tx) and one port is in Galveston, TX.

The Galveston port is located on an Island directly on the Gulf of Mexico.

The Bayport port is 29miles inland on a very narrow winding canal. Therefore Bayport has more opportunity for weather delays.

Ships based on the Gulf of Mexico have a straight shot out to sea and do not have to negotiate a narrow canal to reach the sea.

Amen, Barb2004. There is much confusion indeed and just like you I have tried to summarize the big differences between the Ports of Houston (Bayport) and Galveston in a previous post (see post #128 in this thread).

I recommend to those cruisers considering these ports to do a Google map search of the area to understand the layout. The Port of Houston is huge with many terminals, all being cargo except the Bayport Cruise terminal which Princess is now using (there is a lot of cargo also at Bayport). Search for "Bayport Cruise Terminal" and "Port of Galveston" (Carnival, RCCL, and Disney dock here). Also search for IAH, the main airport into Houston where most flying passengers would be arriving. Hobby Airport (HOU) is closer in but much smaller than IAH.

From Google Maps:

IAH to Bayport Cruise Terminal: 45 miles

IAH to Port of Galveston: 68 miles

HOU (Hobby Airport) to Bayport: 22 miles

HOU to Port of Galveston: 40 miles

The CB is 118 feet wide and its draft is 26 feet. From Bayport it has to sail first on the Bayport Channel and then on the Houston Ship Channel for 29 miles out to sea as Galveston Bay is only about 7-9 feet deep. The channel is 530 wide. There are 50+ ships (essentially all large cargo) and 300+ barges moving through the channel each day (barges can move somewhat out of the main channel as there are shallower barge lanes on each side).

Passengers departing out of Bayport wonder with such a large bay why do ships pass so close. If the Houston Pilot on the CB allows 80 feet to its starboard as a cushion from running aground (not much) and a similar size passing ship does the same, the two ships would pass within 130 feet of each other, very close indeed. While this is done safely everyday accidents do happen (fortunately not many spills like this one). For these reasons it is easier to sail out of Galveston than Bayport. Hopefully this information will help future cruisers decide what is best for them.

Bluesea321

On the local news:

Carnival and RCCL ships in Galveston may be allowed to sail in early afternoon.

The Carnival ship that arrived today is at a cargo dock and will relocate to the passenger dock once the Carnival ship there sails.

Carnival cruisers (boarded today instead of yesterday and had to get a hotel room last night with their own money) will get a refund of one day of their cruise cost.

CB should be allowed to sail sometime today.

The port of Galveston is located in downtown Galveston. Galveston is a resort island with great beaches directly on the gulf of Mexico, resturants and hotels and worth a visit on its own.

Great beaches are of no value when the air temperature is in the 50s.

Also, great beaches may be found in Texas at South Padre Island and in many places in Florida.

Galveston beaches may be considered great only by people who like dark brown sand and do not care if they cannot see their feet when they are in ankle deep water.

Looks like we sail today and get two ports and 50% credit value up to the value this sailing. Those that get off get full refund as originally promised. Hmm good or bad? Almost sounds like they are going back on their promise of free cruise.

For me personally I think it is just okay. They originally promised us 100% and even one for port and isn't worth 100% more cost for just one more stop as I really did want Belize and Roatan and now get neither

Edited by chipmaster

Looks like we sail today and get two ports and 50% credit value up to the value this sailing. Those that get off get full refund as originally promised. Hmm good or bad? Almost sounds like they are going back on their promise of free cruise.

For me personally I think it is just okay. They originally promised us 100% and even one for port and isn't worth 100% more cost for just one more stop as I really did want Belize and Roatan and now get neither

I agree, did they make it clear the the 100% refund was for only those that got off?