Port of Miami Nightmare-NCL Pls. Read

e2011

Off site parking is much cheaper( $5-7per night) and more convenient. Park at an off site lot and they shuttle you to the ship. They help with your luggage and also pick you after upon returning.

We've always parked at the Miami port and never had a problem with a parking garage being full or even finding a spot.

However, we always arrive early (10 - 10:30 AM). Perhaps that's the secret.

Yes,I was going to say timing makes a difference. Arriving at 10ish you are there when most of the previous cruisers are leaving.

Off site parking is much cheaper( $5-7per night) and more convenient. Park at an off site lot and they shuttle you to the ship. They help with your luggage and also pick you after upon returning.

Are you sure you're talking about Miami and not Ft. Lauderdale? Some of those cheap lots in Miami are pretty bad, and you certainly take your chances with your vehicle. The Fl. Departures board has many horror stories about long waits, lots not opening until noon, vehicle damage, shuttles never showing up. Ft. Lauderdale doesn't seem as bad.

While you apparently feel the need to guess other people's motives, OP clearly stated that their objective was to give feedback to NCL and while NCL has employees reading this board, this is not the right place to do so. This is a discussion board about NCL - not a feedback channel for the corporation itself - and even OP themselves admitted that any part of the problem they had wasn't caused by NCL so this is not a NCL related discussion, it's POM related discussion and there is a better place for it in CC.

NCL has made long contracts for the new ships being homeported in POM so the issue is not whether NCL should move because that is not possible in next few years, but that POM should improve the parking situation because that actually might be possible.

Is it possible that you need a nap:confused:

We booked a fly and go package, staying at the Holiday Inn, Miami International Airport. Price includes 7 days free parking, remaining days $5 per day.

Parking at the cruise terminal is like taking out a mortgage on your house.

Cost $20 per day. That is obscene.

http://cruisesfrommiami.us/Resources/Parking.aspx

$40 a day in New York. $20 is cheap

About 2 years ago it was announced that Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) beat the port of Miami as the busiest Florida port. It really hurt the pride of the port of Miami because Port Everglades used to be a fraction of the port of Miami business.

If it was not for NCL, there would not be too much to celebrate at the port of Miami these days.

OP, thanks for posting. I understand your motivation for sharing. Some posters think they are moderators. A lot of people gave good ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. I am glad to see this thread.

Unrealistic to ask cruise lines to just up and move for the sake of a couple parking spots really!

No, but ultimately NCL is POM's customer--and if they say, "well, we'd like to continue this relationship, but your services make it difficult for us to keep our customers happy", there might be some corporate pressure that could be brought to bear. These are big contracts.

Edited by quercus alba

Used to be $35. I hardly ever hear people complaining about that price. It's just part of the overall cruise expense.:)

Heck it used to be $30. We are not complaining about the price because cheapest for us on metro north would be $37 roundtrip plus a walk or drop off or cab to the station at home and then a nice long walk or cab from grand central to the port

Driving means $10 tolls on the Henry Hudson and $40 to park and a gallon of gas or so

I am not rich but seriously $37 versus $50 is a no brainer. We drive and park. Very convenient

Too many people do not factor on the convenience factor

If it were me cruising from pom I would definitely be parking in a safe off site place and taking a cab.

Alternately. I would be at the Pom as early as possible to secure a spot and pay the very inexpensive $20 a day to park

Edited by Crusin6

No, but ultimately NCL is POM's customer--and if they say, "well, we'd like to continue this relationship, but your services make it difficult for us to keep our customers happy", there might be some corporate pressure that could be brought to bear. These are big contracts.

100% correct. It amazes me how many posters just do not see the whole picture and have an incredible lack of business knowledge. Ncl is a capitalust profit making company and can and should be able to threaten to take their business elsewhere if ncl customers are constantly inconvenienced at pom

I worry sometimes when I read certain posts. Don't people realize we are still a capitalist society? Corporations should flex their weight when needed just like when they accommodate an unhappy pax with Obc etc. the cruise line should expect something from the port when they are unhappy

It is super important to to see things from all points of view and to be unbiased On top of understanding how businesses operate.

Fwiw. I am sure the port accommodates Ncl in ways we are not privy to and that may be the reason they stay

Edited by Crusin6

We've always parked at the Miami port and never had a problem with a parking garage being full or even finding a spot.

However, we always arrive early (10 - 10:30 AM). Perhaps that's the secret.

I think you may be right about early arrivals. We've cruised out of POM about 10 times with never even much traffic, let alone any issues. . .until this last cruise. Our shared shuttle from Ft. Lauderdale was first delayed due to a group who were nowhere near ready when we came to get them then further delayed due to a very serious accident that shut down a couple lanes of I-95 south. We did not arrive until about 12:45pm. I could not believe the difference in experience. Traffic at the port was crazy, people and drivers were impatient, and the check-in line for our cruise snaked around the door and back onto itself. It was a stressful start to our cruise for sure.

[ QUOTE=DMH15;42154319]And, sorry... Forgot to say your experience must have been so stressful; sorry you had to go through that. I would have been a wreck too. Our worst embarkation ever was NCL Jewel outside in a hot tent. There are a lot of nice cruises out of Miami so guess I would just avoid their parking.

Wow my first cruise was on the Jewel out of a tent in Miami More often than not DH park off site at Miami

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am glad you posted this here. I had no idea of the issues or the cost at Port of Miami. Thanks for sharing...I will be be looking for an alternative parking method.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

just remember POM parking lot is $20 but it is by far the safest in Miami.

just remember POM parking lot is $20 but it is by far the safest in Miami.

My next trip we are flying to Copenhagen and do 28 days on the NCL Star, total of 34 days. 34 X 20 =$680 for parking. NOOOOO WAAAAAY. I have parked at hotels several times and never had a problem.

If I was worried about my car being stolen (it is a 6 year old Ford), I would just rent a car each way, one-way, which would be about half the cost of parking at the port.

34 days. I'd do the same thing. Park at the hotel (I'm assuming you'll be paying for parking there too, unless you have a secret hotel that lets you park for free for 34 days.) I would probably rent a car.

In Florida the old Cruise Connection bus is back. That's what I would do living here.

I wouldn't worry about the car being stolen as much as damaged. there's one lot under a highway where chunks of concrete fall down on the cars and of course there's break-ins in some areas for the homeless to sleep.

Edited by mafig

We booked a fly and go package, staying at the Holiday Inn, Miami International Airport. Price includes 7 days free parking, remaining days $5 per day.

Parking at the cruise terminal is like taking out a mortgage on your house.

Cost $20 per day. That is obscene.

http://cruisesfrommiami.us/Resources/Parking.aspx

Excellent information. Thanks for sharing.

Unrealistic to ask cruise lines to just up and move for the sake of a couple parking spots really!

Maybe look at parking further away and taking a cab the the pier, much cheaper than moving a ship.

Is it? I heard from a shipyard master that Miami is much more costly than Ft. Lauderdale for the cruise ships.

OP, thanks for posting. I understand your motivation for sharing. Some posters think they are moderators. A lot of people gave good ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, I ignore them.

Because I am hoping NCL people read this thread and can be made aware of the situation that negatively affected one of their customers. Perhaps NCL would consider moving some of their ships to Ft. Lauderdale in the future.

Thank you for posting here. If you hadn't, I probably would not have gotten this information. Even though I won't be parking a car here on my next cruise, the information is nevertheless useful because it makes me aware that we might encounter more traffic then we expected. We will probably try to get to the port a little earlier to avoid the traffic.