Cruise Critic Review of the Sun Princess

TorontoTL

I find many reviews subjective - and I take them with a grain of salt, forming my own opinion when I sail on the ship.

That said, I like the Sun Princess much more than the Golden Princess - I am not a fan of the megaships. Like a previous poster, my favorite was the late great Royal Princess, or that classic Sea Princess, (nee Kungsholm), later Victoria, and now Mona Lisa.

Any ship that cannot fit through the Panama Canal is too damned big, in my opinion.

My parents went on the Sun last summer in Alaska - their first cruise. They seemed to mention feeling crowded, but since they didn't have anything to compare to...

The review mentions that they got terrycloth robes - we only got waffle weave on Island so the reviewer must have been in a suite to get the terry cloth?

2) Only enough storage space for a seven day cruise. Funny I've sailed the Dawn twice, once for 21 days and last May for 18 days and again had no trouble fitting all my clothing in (and that's clothing for two "fluffy" women who overpack!!!)

I've found that most of the time, no matter how long a vacation, you only need to pack for 7 days anyway - and just do the laundry once a week.

Maybe the Sun should be reviewed again in six months, as they could have had an off week.

I would think that, for an "official" review, they should spring for at least two cruises on the same ship, just to get a more overall feel.

I think the review was fairly accurate, with the review outlining both good and bad points. We were on the Sun Princess in Alaska in 2002 and had a fabulous time, but do feel that they had the smallest cabins we'd been in over the past 5 years. We were on the Regal Princess last year (same class) and felt that their cabins were considerably roomier.

That said, I think the only part of the review that might have been unduly harsh was with regard to dining. We've done 4 Princess cruises since 2002 and my wife and I both fully agree that the best food and service we've experienced has been on the Sun Princess. I can't say that we experienced much in the way of lines in the Horizon Court, because we tended to take our meals in the dining room. I do believe that most of the less-than-favorable portion of the dining review centered on the Sterling Steakhouse, where we did not dine. If in fact the reviewer's meal there was as mediocre as all that, perhaps the rating was merited.

Finally, I'm not sure that a 3-ribbon rating is all that bad. According to CruiseCritic, a 3-ribbon rating is described as "Many similarities to that of four-ribbon cruises -- except the ships are generally older. This means fewer balconies in standard categories, smaller cabins, and somewhat less in terms of options for dining and lounging. Service can surprise you (both in positive and less positive ways). Expect smaller gyms and children's facilities that are serviceable but less than innovative." That sounds fairly accurate.

Finally, we did experience much higher crowd levels at debarkation and all of the shows on the Sun Princess than on any other of the 3 Princess Cruises we've taken since that one. We truly enjoyed the service and food on the Sun Princess and would sail on her again in a heartbeat, but if the critic's review hinged mostly on crowds and poor service/food in the Sterling Steakhouse, perhap he or she may have had a point.

We were on the Regal Princess last year (same class) and felt that their cabins were considerably roomier.
Regal Princess and Sun Princess are not the same class. Regal Princess is nearly the same size, but she was originally planned for Sitmar and included a different design philosophy than the Princess ships. Sitmar built their ships with larger staterooms and Princess was lucky enough to purchase the line when these designs (Star 1, Crown 1 and Regal) were being conceived.

Sun Princess was the first in the quad of ships that was fully designed by Princess Cruise Line and at the time she was hailed for her design. She was built on the “small ship feel, large ship choice” platform. That’s why the dining rooms aren’t cavernous halls, and the show rooms are smaller – they aren’t meant to seat the entire ship’s population at once, but they are meant to provide more intimate spaces. That being said, in order to fit two show rooms and an expanded number of lounges, cabin space was reduced.

It seems a lot of the complaints about the ship are based on the fact that people are expecting something different – not on the fact that there’s something wrong with the ship. Sun Princess is not one of the RCI behemoths and frankly, I’m happy about that. I’d sail this ship any time.

I read the review and it was not very far off from our feelings.

I would hae added that the meat was poor quality, the verandas were quite short, the cabins smaller than similar meals and accomidations on Celebrity for a similar price. The show rooms were quite small and the dining room ceiling too low.

You really can't compare one ship to "another cruise line". Are you comparing the Sun Princess to the Millennium or the Sun Princess to the Horizon? Celebrity has older ships that don't always compare well to Princess' newer ships.

Some of the first Celebrity ships had very few balconies - should I compare that to the Grand class that has hundreds of balconies and say Celebrity's balconies don't compare to those on the Grand class when in reality I am referring to the Horizon verses the Diamond Princess. The comparison is not valid.

Some of the posters on here never cease to amaze me!

I found the review to be both a fair and accurate description.

I find most of the responses to this review to be fairly typical for the boosters found on each of the line specific boards.

Horrors!

Nothing is ever wrong on my favorite cruise line!

They simply cannot be accurate, everything is always perfect 24/365!

The reviewer must be a shill for another line, they must hate Princess!

Yada, Yada, Yada, ad infinitum!

People, grow up, everyone doesn't have to love everything to enjoy cruising!

Cheers,

Peter

Regal Princess and Sun Princess are not the same class. Regal Princess is nearly the same size, but she was originally planned for Sitmar and included a different design philosophy than the Princess ships. Sitmar built their ships with larger staterooms and Princess was lucky enough to purchase the line when these designs (Star 1, Crown 1 and Regal) were being conceived.

It seems a lot of the complaints about the ship are based on the fact that people are expecting something different – not on the fact that there’s something wrong with the ship. Sun Princess is not one of the RCI behemoths and frankly, I’m happy about that. I’d sail this ship any time.

bdjam,

I didn't realize that the Regal Princess and Sun Princess were not the same class. The Princess site implies that they are. Thanks for clarifying.

I think you're right in that many complaints may be based on the fact that people are expecting something different when there's nothing wrong with the ship. However, if many people coming to this board for information have expectations of larger cabins, then such reviews would be useful and informative to them. Don't get me wrong. I've stated before that my wife and I love the Sun Princess and would sail on her again in a heartbeat, but more cabin space would certainly have been welcome and useful for us. Thanks again for the info. It did clear up some puzzlement on my part regarding the differences between the Regal Princess and Sun Princess.

Regards,

Vincent

It's the old saying, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression." My first impression of the Sun is that they need to reduce the maximum passenger load by about 500. Then maybe it won't take 30 minutes to get into the dining room, you could get a seat at a show, the staff wouldn't have that glazed "survivor" look and it would be a relaxing time. And they could actually enforce the "no jeans in the dining room" rule!:D

I wonder if the passenger load fluctuates widely by time of year and itinerary.

We'll be on the Sun in October 2006 for a 10 day southern caribbean run.

I will likely give the shows a pass, and won't be in too much of a hurry to get to my dinner table, so I should be able to enjoy her.

Of course having an aft mini-suite won't hurt either. :D

Jean, you're absolutely right, there were way too many people on our sailing. Our coastal on the Dawn was much less crowded and was a much better cruise. The service was a lot better, and the ship just seemed better run than the Sun. I was pleasantly surprised by the Dawn, actually.

Personally, I think the Sun-class ships aren't going to be around that much longer, because Princess seems to be trending towards being a big-ship line. They've gotten rid of the Royal and the Regal is on the way out. And did anyone see the thread about the rumor that the Tahitian and Pacific being sent to Cunard in 2008? I seriously doubt these ships will be in the Princess fleet in another 10 years, unless they're substantially renovated to bring them into line with the design of the newer ships.

I take most reviews with a grain of salt. I like to form my opinions mainly from my own experiences. That being said, the things someone else may encounter I may not encounter at all ! That's why I don't choose my cruiseline or the ships I sail on according to some of these reviews. As someone said earlier, they're just someone's personal opinion. Just my humble 2 cents.

Wouldn't it be neat(if they do take the tahitian and Pacific away) to take the sun and dawn and make them all-suite rooms and then use them for exotics and other specials. That would put less people on them.

peterv,

Do you ever have anything postive to say in the threads?

I find most of the responses to this review to be fairly typical for the boosters found on each of the line specific boards.
I continue to choose Princess because I’ve not been disappointed with the product. My opinion is that the Sun Princess review was off the mark. Since I like the product that Princess offers, and I’ve not experienced the same negative experiences, why would I agree with a bad review? If we all are looking for objectivity, then bashing and cheerleading are both appropriate.
However, if many people coming to this board for information have expectations of larger cabins, then such reviews would be useful and informative to them.
I totally agree – as I say, it’s important that all viewpoints be expressed. I don’t argue the fact that some find the staterooms small or find the balconies cut from the hull confining…none of that, however, is my experience.
Then maybe it won't take 30 minutes to get into the dining room, you could get a seat at a show, the staff wouldn't have that glazed "survivor" look and it would be a relaxing time.
And to follow what I’m saying in this post, none of this has been my experience on Sun Princess. My last cruise on Sun Princess included 2200 other passengers, about 250 more than the double occupancy maximum. Compared to my Island Princess cruise there was little difference in quality or crowding. In fact on Island Princess, I could not get any closer than the last row for one of the production shows – I never had that issue on Sun Princess.
Personally, I think the Sun-class ships aren't going to be around that much longer, because Princess seems to be trending towards being a big-ship line. They've gotten rid of the Royal and the Regal is on the way out. And did anyone see the thread about the rumor that the Tahitian and Pacific being sent to Cunard in 2008? I seriously doubt these ships will be in the Princess fleet in another 10 years, unless they're substantially renovated to bring them into line with the design of the newer ships.
If you read Princess’ official press releases, this is not true. Princess states that they recognize that some of their passenger base enjoys “smaller” ships and plan on keeping them as part of the fleet. The Sun Class was probably built with the Personal Choice philosophy in mind (hence two dining rooms and multiple show lounges) and both Tahitian and Pacific offer the alternatives that Personal Choice demands – they don’t offer Anytime Dining in the dining room because there’s only one…but there are alternative restaurants which give the passenger choice. I would venture to guess that those choosing and filling the smaller ships aren’t looking for Anytime Dining as one of their top reasons to choose a cruise anyway.

Princess has always been a big-ship line - Sun Princess was the largest ship in service when she was inaugurated as was Grand Princess. The question is, where do they stop and how important to the cruise line is the population of passengers who feel that bigger than Panamax is too big? Princess should aready be noticing that some of its passengers are defecting to Oceania - sailing sister ships to Tahitian and Pacific - its a matter of whether or not they care if the trend continues.

We have sailed the Sun and her sister ships the Sea and the Ocean and I must say I have never felt crowded.As spongerob mentioned,it gets worse as the ship gets bigger and that was certainly true when we sailed the Star.

Still,all things considered,the Sun is a wonderful ship and like most,I consider this size ship just about right for me.While the Sun will someday be fazed out (after all she IS over 10 yrs. old!),I don't see Princess going all mega-liner either.People really like this size ship and it's one I feel most comfortable on.The only time I felt chaos was in the HC but I have a hard time dealing with buffets anyway...like I wouldn't eat in them if I didn't have to.Getting early to see a show is a way of life on these ships but to me it really doesn't matter much...I'm there to relax and if slipping into a nice warm hot tub with my sweetie while everyone else is craming into a theater like sardines into a can,that's what one has to do to remain sane.:rolleyes:

I personally hated RCL's Navigator of the Seas with all that promanade/rock climbing/rollerblading crap and that ship is about as mega-sized as they get.Who really cares about Johnny Rockets anyway?

How many gut-busters can one eat in a week anyway?:eek:

bdjam, I don't disagree with you that Princess says they're going to keep the bigger ships...but what they say, and what they do, are two different things. They said they were adding MUTS to Golden and Star, but they haven't, and it looks now like they won't. I'm just looking at the moves that Princess had made over the past few years, and the focus on bringing new megaships into the fleet, and thinking, "This looks like a trend towards big-ship cruising." Is it a good trend? I don't think so, but I don't think there's much I can do about it, other than book my next cruise on a small ship, which I have. I hope you're right and I'm wrong about their plans!

We were on the ship in Feb. I think that the review was fair. Keep in mind, each sailing can be different. We are certainly not 'married' to any one cruise line. Have been on four different ones, they have all been great in different ways.

My husband and I have sailed on the Sun Princess three times, the Ocean Princess two times and and the Dawn Princess three times. Having sailed on this class ships for a number of times, we feel the review is not really fair. After eight cruises, we have never encountered the problems the review states. The sister ships are perfect in our opinion. We love the mini-suites on the Sun Princess. We have never felt crowded or stood in long lines. In fact, embarkation is always speedy and much more pleasant than on the larger ships. The service is outstanding and we have never had any complaints about the food. Of course, our attitude is there are those who wouldn't be satified with anything, They are unhappy where ever they may be. It is ashame the review is available because it really could sway someone who had not sailed on the beautiful Sun Princess. Having just sailed on the Caribbean Princess (where there was lots of rust obvious if you were looking to complain) we are delighted some cruisers like the larger ships. It leaves more room for those of us who just enjoy being at sea and do not have to have high tech things to entertain us. A balcony, comfortable chair, and a good book is a delightful retreat from the hurried fast pace we experience in our daily lives. We have sailed on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity, but we are most at home on the the Sun Class Princess ships. In fact, we will sail next January on the Sea Princess for 14 days. Can't wait!

OK - I have had just about had enough of the nonsense on Cruise Critic - Not from the posters but from whoever wrote the Cruise Critic review on the Sun Princess (not a reader review). This individual should be fired. You have people starting to believe that the Sun Princess is not a worthy ship to sail on.

If I were Princess I would initiate a lawsuit against Cruise Critic and probably win.

Your CEO should be advised of this and take corrective action!!

Ron

I personally hated RCL's Navigator of the Seas with all that promanade/rock climbing/rollerblading crap and that ship is about as mega-sized as they get.Who really cares about Johnny Rockets anyway?

:D:D :D

We have sailed the Sun and her sister ships the Sea and the Ocean and I must say I have never felt crowded.As spongerob mentioned,it gets worse as the ship gets bigger and that was certainly true when we sailed the Star.

I have sailed the Sun Princess in both warm and cooler climates (Mexico and Alaska). I wonder about the complaints about the Sun Princess being crowded more relates to when people are sailing coastal and Alaskan sailings. In Alaska, you don't have 1000 people laying on the decks near the pool - people are inside more....therefore, there is more congestion inside (it feels more crowded).

Like cruiserforlife, I really didn't find the Sun crowded, even in Alaska.

Our first cruise: Sea Princess, sister to Sun Princess, at absolute maximum load of over 2600 passengers (lots of kids). At the time, I didn't think I'd be a fan of cruising. Did we ever feel crowded? No, except that the standard balcony cabin is admittedly small, but not cramped. 30 minute waits at the dining room - maybe for Anytime, at 7:30, with no reservations and wanting a table for two, but not for Traditional. Whoever posted that needs to qualify their comments, because it sure sounds like the the spin cycle was going.

Did we fall in love with cruising? Look at my history.

And PeterV, if you think I'm being a cheerleader, look up all the posts ripping me for being too critical and see if I deserve that label.

Augie, your comment about some cruises being more crowded than others is true. We were on the Sun Princess to Alaska and the ship was capacity plus. Many families booked with 3rd and 4th berth occupied. At times, It was difficult to find a seat in the Horizon Court and the theatre filled up quickly. The issue on the Sun class ships is passenger space ratio.

I thought Personal Choice dining worked well on the ship and I didnt agree with that criticism. . Really we had no complaints about the ship . Being 10 years old, it does not compare to the newest ships but it is usually priced accordingly. We're taking Coral to Alaska this year which was consideribly more expensive than the same itinerary on the Sun.

One other thing I thought interesting in the review on Cruise Critic was that the reviewer really did not like the Sterling Steakhouse. The reviewer did not like the food nor the location yet ate there THREE times..............wonder why............. :confused:

If I were Princess I would initiate a lawsuit against Cruise Critic and probably win.
I just went back and reread the review. There are a couple of complements about the ship – the author says it was well run and welcoming. On the other hand, the author contradicts him or herself – mentioning that the ship came “long” before Personal Choice and it “shows” – then goes on to describe the Anytime Dining options on board. Then the author makes a complete error in stating that the dining rooms face aft and have views over three sides of the ship. The dining rooms on Sun Princess are mid-ship – they don’t face aft and they don’t have aft windows. I’ve had drinks in the Rendezvous – they certainly sell more than wine as the author states. With blaring errors like that included in the review, is it any wonder that some of us are questioning it? The author didn’t do a very good job…I think I agree with Ron.

Archived