Holy random pricing!

We booked a VH (solid steel balcony railing) verandah on the Oosterdam on the 28 day south pacific crossing in February for what we thought was an amazing price of $2800 each. It has since gone down to $1900 FOR 28 DAYS WITH A BALCONY AND INCLUDES $300 PER PERSON ONBOARD CREDIT!!!!!! YIKES! Our agent called and begged and managed to get us the $300 pp onboard credit, but we still paid $900 per person more than we could have! Hopefully we get an upgrade! And now, with the cruise only 3 weeks away, the cheapest balcony room jumped to $4200! This really shouldn't be this random. . .

We booked a VH (solid steel balcony railing) verandah on the Oosterdam on the 28 day south pacific crossing in February for what we thought was an amazing price of $2800 each. It has since gone down to $1900 FOR 28 DAYS WITH A BALCONY AND INCLUDES $300 PER PERSON ONBOARD CREDIT!!!!!! YIKES! Our agent called and begged and managed to get us the $300 pp onboard credit, but we still paid $900 per person more than we could have! Hopefully we get an upgrade! And now, with the cruise only 3 weeks away, the cheapest balcony room jumped to $4200! This really shouldn't be this random. . .

It is not at all random.

Cruise prices are first set by the market.

Then they are driven and fluctuate minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day, week to week, month to month, and year to year by supply and demand. The more fickle and unpredictable the buyer (that's you in this case), the more the prices fluctuate - but certainly not randomly.

This is one of the basic pillars of American Capitalism that everyone learns when they study Economics 101 in College.

The Stock Market, Currency Exchange, Car Rentals, Insurance Rates, Hotel prices, Airline Tickets, the price of gold, gasoline prices, pork bellies, and Superbowl Tickets all work exactly the same way.

Edited by BruceMuzz

The problem with Hal is that they have sky high prices to begin with then give away the farm at the end. Most people are on to their games. As much as I don't like celebrity they do have a better pricing strategy. They have moderate prices for early bookers but they still do have some deals for the late bookers. I'm fed up with Hal's pricing policy. This is the first time I haven't had multiple cruises booked with Hal. I'm prepared to cruise more with Princess which seems to appreciate my business. It's got nothing to do with supply and demand when it comes to booking early.

I'm new to HAL but find their pricing predictable: The vast majority of cruises go down in price at the very end. Why would anyone book a cruise so far out when the prices almost always drop at the end? From what I gather HAL gives early bookers perks such as a drinks package that they'll lose if they switch out to the lower rates. (Who in their right mind would drink 15 drinks a day??) I understand early bookers get the cabins they want etc but they've trained me to wait 'til the last minute.

I'm new to HAL but find their pricing predictable: The vast majority of cruises go down in price at the very end. Why would anyone book a cruise so far out when the prices almost always drop at the end? From what I gather HAL gives early bookers perks such as a drinks package that they'll lose if they switch out to the lower rates. (Who in their right mind would drink 15 drinks a day??) I understand early bookers get the cabins they want etc but they've trained me to wait 'til the last minute.

It takes a while to get the hang of the pricing system. Our next cruise, 14 day Canada New England dropped $3000.00between the time we booked it and final payment. We were able to take advantage. However, the next cruise, 14 day Alaska out of Seattle went up $4000.00, and we are locked in at a much lower price. Again supply and demand.

Those last minute cruise deals are a great way to discover cruising. If you don't care where, when, or what cabin, the price of doing business can really favor the buyer.

When it is all said and done, HAL has been doing this for 150 years. You and your money are not both going home after the vacation. :D Bon Voyage!!

Why would anyone book a cruise so far out when the prices almost always drop at the end? From what I gather HAL gives early bookers perks such as a drinks package that they'll lose if they switch out to the lower rates. (Who in their right mind would drink 15 drinks a day??) I understand early bookers get the cabins they want etc but they've trained me to wait 'til the last minute.

Yes - to get the desired cabin. I booked my August Alaska trip close to 2 years ago (very shortly after the itinerary was announced).

Drink 15 drinks a day.... 1. yummy coffee from Explorations cafe. 2. Water to take on shore 3. soda with lunch. 4. more yummy coffee. 5. pre dinner cocktail. 6 and maybe 7. wine with dinner. 8. after dinner drink or yummy coffee.

So I don't get to 15... but I don't pay for those 8 either.

And (to the next quote's point) the price for my cabin has gone up as much as $1000pp so far. It went down briefly, and I was able to save $80pp and that's when the Explore 4 program was added.

It takes a while to get the hang of the pricing system. Our next cruise, 14 day Canada New England dropped $3000.00between the time we booked it and final payment. We were able to take advantage. However, the next cruise, 14 day Alaska out of Seattle went up $4000.00, and we are locked in at a much lower price. Again supply and demand.

Those last minute cruise deals are a great way to discover cruising. If you don't care where, when, or what cabin, the price of doing business can really favor the buyer.

Those late price drops are great. They've drawn my attention before. We're thinking now that if there is a great deal in the fall, we might decide to go.... There aren't many places on most 7 day itineraries that we haven't been to, so it's more a matter of getting away than where we are going.

And to the OP's point about the price skyrocketing 3 weeks out.... HAL probably has lots of guarantees lined up and don't want anymore cabins booked on those categories.

The problem with Hal is that they have sky high prices to begin with then give away the farm at the end. Most people are on to their games. As much as I don't like celebrity they do have a better pricing strategy. They have moderate prices for early bookers but they still do have some deals for the late bookers. I'm fed up with Hal's pricing policy. This is the first time I haven't had multiple cruises booked with Hal. I'm prepared to cruise more with Princess which seems to appreciate my business. It's got nothing to do with supply and demand when it comes to booking early.

I think you'll find that Princess's pricing statagy is the same and even worst than HAL's .. After 18 cruises in a row with Princess I've given up on them, specially if and when we need to booked a specific date in the future. Their rediculous starting out price's are usually at least double of the other main stream cruiselines, so it's gotten impossible, yes I know for certain the price will usually drop closer to departure, but after almost 50 cruises between HAL. Celebrity and Princess I'm tired of playing the Princess game..

So since last summer when we had to be in Europe for a family wedding Priccess's pricing structure FORCED me to book our Med cruise on Celebrity, and guess what we had Great Celebrity Cruise...

So I've now returned to HAL and Celebrity full time, and since last year have already sail both twice again, and have my next two booked with them also.

Thankfully we still have choice's :)

Srpilo

I book early also to ensure that I can find the airfare that I am willing to pay. If I waited until the fire sales after final payment date, I can bet you dollars to donuts that I wouldn't be able to find a reasonably priced flight. It is also important to us to get the dining time that we like. YMMV.

I think you'll find that Princess's pricing statagy is the same and even worst than HAL's .. After 18 cruises in a row with Princess I've given up on them, specially if and when we need to booked a specific date in the future. Their rediculous starting out price's are usually at least double of the other main stream cruiselines, so it's gotten impossible, yes I know for certain the price will usually drop closer to departure, but after almost 50 cruises between HAL. Celebrity and Princess I'm tired of playing the Princess game..

So since last summer when we had to be in Europe for a family wedding Priccess's pricing structure FORCED me to book our Med cruise on Celebrity, and guess what we had Great Celebrity Cruise...

So I've now returned to HAL and Celebrity full time, and since last year have already sail both twice again, and have my next two booked with them also.

Thankfully we still have choice's :)

Srpilo

I agree, Princess does that as well. One thing Princess does is value my business so they give me substantial discounts when I sign in under my account. HAL never does that. My friend is a one star mariner and she gets pricing that I can't get.

Who in their right mind would drink 15 drinks a day??

In all fairness. They're not exactly big drinks in terms of alcoholic content. They're measured pours. You can also use the package to get specialty coffees, smoothies, and bottled water.

Don't fret that you cannot wrap your mind around 15 drinks a day. Not everyone can aspire to greatness. :D

Yup. We are hoping to get summer cruise to Alaska and a Sept/Oct Med or Black Sea cruise inside the final payment window. We have found that air is about the same for us 6 months out or 45 days out. We are in Vancouver often...an easy drive for us.

Based on prior years pricing that we have observed, if we do get the cruise my guess is that Alaska will be on HAL and Med/Black Sea will be on Celebrity. Princess always seems late to the game in the final payment window period.

We booked our future cruise right after our last cruise when we got the offer for $200 obc for booking another one right away. Plus we had the $200 obc for paying for the deposit onboard the ship and another $100 for CCL stock. Then the Explore 4 was announce and they added that, too. The cost of our cruise never did go down--at least not in the million times I checked it.

If you want connecting cabins (we are travelling with young children), you need to book early too.

We simply accept that booking early and wearing those all-too-often high, initial prices is what we need to do in order to bring our kids.

Not everyone can book last minute and wait for that price drop . . .which may or may not happen.