Party of 8 – Our Hawaiian Adventure on the POA (with pics)

greatlakesgirl

Our last full day

No alarm set for this morning. We got up and had breakfast then went and slathered on the sun screen. I picked out our luggage tags. We chose a late debarkation time as our flight was at 1:50PM and I knew we didn’t actually have to be off the ship until 9:30.

We headed out to find the free shuttle to the shops and Kalapaki Beach at around ten-thirty. No problem with that, there is plenty of signage to direct you. Here’s a pic of the trolley. There’s also a regular shuttle bus if the trolley doesn’t appeal to you.

HawaiiKauaifreetrolley-resizd_zps87fc6770.jpg

We were dropped off at Anchor Cove Mall. You’ll get instructions on where to go to be picked up if you want to take the trolley back to the ship.

The mall wasn’t anything special, so don’t make a special trip to go there over doing something really great like Waimea or the North Shore. We crossed the street and went over to Kalapaki Beach. It’s very nice over there and they rent snorkel gear, surf boards and paddle boards. We walked the path in front of the hotel for a little while, then decided to go back to the ship for lunch. We spent maybe two hours there, tops.

Us on the right

HawaiiKalapaki-resized_zps2757925c.jpg

People were already on deck getting in position for the Na Pali coast sail-by. We’d already scouted out our spot and I will let you in on the best place to be, if you don’t have your own balcony, that is. Deck six. Forget the top decks unless you like to be with 1000 of your closest friends. These are before the Na Pali. Pretty empty. There were more people later on, of course, but nothing like the top decks.

HawaiiDecksix-resized_zpsc4cec680.jpg

HawaiiDecksix2-resized_zps6ce94b6c.jpg

All aboard was one-thirty and we left promptly at two.

HawaiiKauaisailaway3-resized_zpsb0100b0d.jpg

HawaiiKauaisailaway2-resized_zpsba7b6a0d.jpg

After sail away we went to our cabins for a while to organize and pack. We just didn’t want to put it off until the evening and have to deal with it then. We wanted to enjoy our last night on board. In fact, we’d done some packing the evening before, prior to going to bed, so it didn’t really take that long.

Na Pali sail by next.

I love your review!!! This is just what we needed to see...we are on the POA in three weeks for our first visit to Hawaii. Thank you for sharing and taking the time to write your informative review!!!

You are so welcome. I hope you have as much fun as we did!

Na Pali Coast

We went out on deck six about ten minutes before the narration was going to start. Another convenience to being on deck seven; down a flight of stairs and right out the door. Port side, of course, for the sail by.

The girls are over on the right side near the rail. Plenty of elbow room. And if the wind is too much you can always stand back against the wall and see just fine, like the rest of us are doing.

HawaiiNaPali4-resized_zps80c86e0e.jpg

There’s not much I can said about the Na Pali Coast that the pictures can’t, so I’ll just let them speak for themselves.

HawaiiNaPali-resized_zpsa86f2a97.jpg

HawaiiNaPali2-resized_zps24ea085a.jpg

HawaiiNaPali3-resized_zpsb6d287f5.jpg

It was everything I’d hoped for.

We went for one last dinner at the Aloha Café that evening and put our suitcases in the hallway later on. And the kids played one more time at the ping pong table and took one last swim. It’s sad, that last day. Everything you do, you’re thinking, “Well, that’s the last time I’ll do that.” And you just hope that one day you are fortunate enough to return to the islands.

Breakfast was much busier the morning of debarkation, but we had no trouble finding someplace to sit. After we headed back to the rooms to make sure we had everything and to pick up our carry-on luggage. We met back downstairs on deck five and ran our ship cards through one last time. We found our suitcases right away and then we just had to wait for our shuttle. From the time we left our cabins until getting our luggage, a grand total of ten minutes passed. I wish embarkation had gone that fast!

Anyway, RobertsHawaii picked us and several other people up and we were off. We had lunch in the airport while we waited for our flight. As before, all flights went off without a hitch, the weather was fine on the return and we were home by eleven-thirty Sunday morning. MIL’s suitcase was left in Chicago but they delivered it to her front door Monday morning, thank goodness.

So when you look at everything the eight of us did, and think about all the pieces that had to fall into place, and all the stars that had to align correctly, I’d say it was just about as close to perfect that you could ever get. Except for Mom’s suitcase, that is.

I'll put some final thoughts in another post. :)

Edited by greatlakesgirl

Thank you very much for your review. I enjoyed your descriptions and pictures. I hope that we have half as much fun as you did. Now I have to go and arrange for a port side balcony. Take care.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Final thoughts

Don’t over-schedule yourself. You’ll only become exhausted and frustrated and not really enjoy the things you do manage to see, and you’ll find yourself rushing to finish one thing so you can make the next one. When we were in the planning stages, we picked two things on each island that we definitely wanted to see, and then added a third thing that we were interested in if we had time.

On Oahu our must-sees were Pearl Harbor and the North Shore. We considered a luau if we had time, but didn’t manage it and we didn’t miss it.

On Maui, for my family, it was Iao Valley, Lahaina and Whaler’s Village. I also wanted to continue on around the west side of Maui, as far as the Nakalele Blowhole, but we ran out of time. I wish we had skipped Lahaina entirely, gone to Whaler’s and then up to Nakalele.

For Hilo our desires were Punalu’u black sand beach and Volcanoes National Park. If there was time we wanted to go to Akaka Falls State Park. We didn’t make it there, but we were completely satisfied with what we did do.

Kona was our “down” day and it was what it was. As I said, sometimes I wish we would’ve scheduled something, but we needed the breather.

The north shore of Kauai was tops on our list, while the Waimea Canyon was what my SIL’s family wanted to do. I thought if we had time we might try to make the canyon also, but it would’ve made the day too rushed. The last half day on Kauai was just some final shopping, and that was all we wanted for that day. It took the younger daughter until that final day to find the t-shirt she wanted. Nothing like waiting until the last minute!

Always remember, everything will take longer than you think it’s going to, so leave yourself plenty of time for returning your rental car, if you go that route, getting to your shuttle bus, or even just getting off and back on the ship.

Overall thoughts on the ship

We loved the Pride of America. I’ve read on here “she’s not a ‘traditional’ cruise ship”, and I say “Who cares? What does that even mean, anyway?” She’s beautiful inside and out. The crew is fantastic. Did they fall all over themselves trying to please us? No, but that’s fine with me. I don’t like false niceties. But they were kind and helpful and most of them were very talkative. And remember, smiling works both ways!

Overall thoughts on the islands

We all really loved it here and had a fantastic time. It was a trip of a lifetime. Kauai was my and MIL’s and the older daughter’s favorite. The younger daughter loved Kona, and my husband thought Oahu was great. He didn’t even mind the traffic too much. I enjoyed Oahu very much, also, and loved the vibe of Waikiki. I could definitely go back and spend a week there. I would love to spend that much time on each island! What really stuck with me is how different the islands are from one another. They are in the same chain, yet they each stand apart.

I was a little disappointed with my return trip to Maui, but only a little. It’s still gorgeous, and I love Haleakala. Went to the top with my parents and I’ve never forgotten it. I love the beauty of the West Maui Mountains to the west and Haleakala to the east and the valley in between. And the Iao Valley is visually stunning. But the development that has happened in the past 20 years is sad to me.

Everyone always asks the question, “Can you really see Hawaii on a cruise?” And I say “Yes, you can!”

Here's a few extra pictures I liked. Mom loved the carpet in the hallway outside our cabins. I did, too.

HawaiiPOAcarpet-resized_zps8ab7cf6c.jpg

A model of the Pride of America. Check out the picture above the model. That's the S/S Norway passing the POA. Really cool. The Norway must've been huge!

HawaiiPOAmodel-resized_zps50cab535.jpg

Aloha Tower before our sail away in Honolulu

HawaiiAlohaTower-resized_zps18937701.jpg

Diamond Head before sail away

HawaiiDiamondHead-resized_zps978638fc.jpg

Things I forgot to mention

Ok, you don’t have to do this but if you rent cars sign up for your agency’s membership club or whatever they call it. It’s the Blue Chip program for Thrifty and Buget’s is Fast Break. Because we were members, we received a free upgrade from an economy car to a Ford Edge in Hilo. I wasn’t fond of the Edge. Sorry all you Edge owners. It was pretty to look at, but goodness, the seat killed my back, even with the lumbar support fully inflated. And I don’t even have back problems! And in Kauai we got seventy percent off our upgrade from an economy car to a Chevy Equinox. We loved it! We booked all economy cars, but always upgraded because we knew we might have Mom with us from time to time. Oh, and don’t worry about the gas. I don’t think we ever used more than a quarter tank. Except on Oahu when we had the car for two days, but even then, I think we only used maybe a half tank. And fill up yourselves! You’ll get ripped off if you let the rental car company do it.

One last thing on the rentals. We booked ahead of time on Discount Hawaii Car Rentals and got great rates. If you decide to use them, click on the banner at the top of the website that says Pier Pickup for Cruise Ship Arrivals, and then go from there.

The only ports you can just get off the ship and walk around in are Kona and Nawiliwili. The others are industrial so you will have to rent a car or book an excursion. On Kauai, at Nawiliwili, there is a free shuttle that goes to a little shopping mall near Kalapaki Beach, or it’s a ten to fifteen minute walk there. If you want a beach day, this might be a good place for that. Here’s a website I looked at while doing my planning for our second day on Kauai:http://www.kalapakibeach.org/

If you go to Pearl Harbor they don’t allow bags of any type inside. This means camera cases, purses, diaper bags, etc…There’s a place where you can rent a storage locker for three dollars. It’s very, very small, however.

The sun

Don’t underestimate the strength of the Hawaiian sun. Even when it’s cloudy you can still get fried. We’re from Michigan and while our sunshine isn’t as strong as it is in the islands, we still have to be careful. We were extra cautious, and even more so with the older daughter, who is as pale as a ghost and never tans, only burns if she doesn’t wear sunscreen. Even with the sun screen we still managed to get some color.

Returning to the ship

Make sure you have your picture ID (driver’s license, etc…) and your ship card, because you will be asked to show both upon your return to the port! Every time. Security will board your bus, either your tour bus or the rental car shuttle bus, and check. Again, every time. So don’t forget them.

Well, I think that’s it! Mahalo for reading and I hope you enjoyed it. I also hope that some of you that are planning your own adventures come back and tell us how it went; I know I’d love to read about it. And if you’re contemplating taking the plunge and going to Hawaii: DO IT!

Aloharesized_zps7d3b66ea.jpg

Hawaii-familyresized_zps1d898470.jpg

Edited by greatlakesgirl

Thank you very much for your review. I enjoyed your descriptions and pictures. I hope that we have half as much fun as you did. Now I have to go and arrange for a port side balcony. Take care.

I did one more post with a few more pictures.:)

I wish you safe travels and calm seas!

Loved your review. There are 5 of us going in Sept on the POA. We are going to Kauai for 6 days in a condo before the cruise. So I loved the pictures of Kauai and the tips. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great review! Your closing comments were dead on!

POA has been the best cruise we have ever been on. The staff has been phenomenal! In fact, the steward on our first cruise in 2009, Conrado was awesome. Who was our steward in 2013?? Conrado. I hope he doesn't thing we we're stalking.

Absolutely loved your review and pictures. I know you cannot see everything but I noticed that in Maui you didn't do Road to Hana or Haleakala Crater. Was there any reason why or just too time consuming? It's just me and hubby and I still can't decide what to do on Maui for our May POA trip. Another question about rental cars. Are the times you reserve written in stone or can you pick up/return an hour or two later without charge. I just noticed that on the rental receipt for Maui I said return at 3pm but maybe go later like 4-4:30pm?

Great review; thanks for sharing! We are going in August and are having fun planning.

You are so welcome! Enjoy the ship and islands!

Loved your review. There are 5 of us going in Sept on the POA. We are going to Kauai for 6 days in a condo before the cruise. So I loved the pictures of Kauai and the tips. Thanks!!

Thank you so much, glad you enjoyed it. I am envious of your six days on Kauai. Have fun!

Great review! Your closing comments were dead on!

POA has been the best cruise we have ever been on. The staff has been phenomenal! In fact, the steward on our first cruise in 2009, Conrado was awesome. Who was our steward in 2013?? Conrado. I hope he doesn't thing we we're stalking.

With all your POA cruises under your belt, it's going to feel like coming home when you board the ship, I bet!

Thank you so much for reading and I wish you all the best!

Absolutely loved your review and pictures. I know you cannot see everything but I noticed that in Maui you didn't do Road to Hana or Haleakala Crater. Was there any reason why or just too time consuming? It's just me and hubby and I still can't decide what to do on Maui for our May POA trip. Another question about rental cars. Are the times you reserve written in stone or can you pick up/return an hour or two later without charge. I just noticed that on the rental receipt for Maui I said return at 3pm but maybe go later like 4-4:30pm?

Mainly it was because of the time that would have to be spent in the cars, and we didn't think the kids would enjoy it all that much. I did both with my parents when I was there in 1989 and both are wonderful.

To be on the safe side, it's best to return within the time frame stated or you could get charged more. I think when you pick it up you could certainly ask if you could return it later.

Have a great cruise! I hope you love Hawaii and the POA as much as we did!

Really enjoyed your review. Thank you for posting the pictures of Waimea Canyon. We went on the tour through the ship and when we got to the canyon it was fogged in and raining so we only saw the edge just outside the railing. Our tour guide gave us postcards to see what it was supposed to look like.

The Napoli coast is beautiful in the sun, we had rain for our sail by. So glad you had an amazing time, we did to despite the not so perfect weather.

We loved the boat and really have nothing negative to say about it. The food and service was wonderful no matter where we were on the boat.

Thank you again for sharing!

One more question - my wife drinks Sprint Zero on cruises since they do not have diet coke caffeine free products - do you remember?

Thanx

They had Pepsi products on board, but you should be able to get some Sprite and bring it on board, no problem. :)

Really enjoyed your review. Thank you for posting the pictures of Waimea Canyon. We went on the tour through the ship and when we got to the canyon it was fogged in and raining so we only saw the edge just outside the railing. Our tour guide gave us postcards to see what it was supposed to look like.

The Napoli coast is beautiful in the sun, we had rain for our sail by. So glad you had an amazing time, we did to despite the not so perfect weather.

We loved the boat and really have nothing negative to say about it. The food and service was wonderful no matter where we were on the boat.

Thank you again for sharing!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your cruise! And you're more than welcome. Doing the review was fun! :)

Edited by greatlakesgirl

Thank you for a superb, detailed and well-written review and all your insights and photos. You put some time into this, and it's much appreciated by others!

You are so welcome, it was a joy to do it. :)

Excellent review! We sail her on May 17th. I think I read every post out loud to my husband tonight! Your pictures are beautiful and the narrative was great. Thank you!

Thanks! I know you and your husband will have a fantastic time. Happy sailing!:)

Thank you for your awesome review !

Can't wait to experience POA for ourselves so your review really ramped up our excitement :D

We plan on renting motorcycles on most days; which roads were your favorite scenery wise?

Edited by silvercrikhix

Thank you so much for doing this! We are Michiganders with a 14 and an 11 year old and are sailing on the POA on Saturday!
You are welcome, it was my pleasure. :)

Your family will have an amazing time! Here's to safe travels and calm seas!

Thank you for your awesome review !

Can't wait to experience POA for ourselves so your review really ramped up our excitement :D

We plan on renting motorcycles on most days; which roads were your favorite scenery wise?

I'm so glad I could help! :D

Probably the North Shore drive on Kauai, and the north and east shores of Oahu. The drive down the middle of Maui between the West Maui mountains and Haleakala is pretty nice, too. I hope you have an amazing time!

Thanks for the awesome & detailed review. We're on the POA in September and can't wait.

We have three full days on Oahu before the cruise and have rental car reservations on Oahu, Maui & Kauai. We've opted for a tour in Hilo with Ricky's and have decided on an NCL excursion in Kona to the seahorse farm. The rest of the time in Kona is ours to do what we wish... after picking up some Kona Coffee beans!

Quick question; how long was the drive to Kilauea Point? DW & I were thinking of heading there first, then over to Waimea Canyon if possible. That way, we can use the half day as a final semi-kick back day. What's your thought on that?

Edited by azappraiser

Thanks for the awesome & detailed review. We're on the POA in September and can't wait.

We have three full days on Oahu before the cruise and have rental car reservations on Oahu, Maui & Kauai. We've opted for a tour in Hilo with Ricky's and have decided on an NCL excursion in Kona to the seahorse farm. The rest of the time in Kona is ours to do what we wish... after picking up some Kona Coffee beans!

Quick question; how long was the drive to Kilauea Point? DW & I were thinking of heading there first, then over to Waimea Canyon if possible. That way, we can use the half day as a final semi-kick back day. What's your thought on that?

You're welcome!

Your itinerary sounds wonderful! We didn't go straight to Kilauea Point, so I can't answer that part exactly, but I think if you did and then wanted to head to Waimea after you should have no problem at all.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Thank you for the wonderful review and all the amazing pictures. We are riding Rhapsody of the Seas over to the island and I can't wait.

We are spending time at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel after the cruise so glad to hear you enjoyed it. I also liked that it is down towards the end of the beach and less of a crowd.

Thanks again.