If we only eat in Main Dining Room, will that be good enough?

Pomcoach

To Gordon Chick: We sure had a big laugh when reading your quote in your signature! Hilarious!

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Still laughing!

Unfortunately, I continue to encounter people who prove that to be true!

I'm glad you asked, because I had the same question. The specialty restaurants seem to be very popular here and I was wondering if I was really going to miss something by skipping them. I really like French food so I was thinking about booking Le Bistro on the Dawn but maybe I'll just save my $40 and eat in the MDR.

Yes I am that same Pomcoach from Biddingfortravel. And yes, I am still on there and bidding every few months. In fact I was trying to get a post-hotel night on Priceline just last night, but bombed out. It tickles me that you remember my name! Ha Ha! Love that website and Priceline and love bidding! So much fun!

Wow! Small world. I used to be a mod over at BFT and I too recognized your username, LOL. I no longer post at BFT for the obvious reason :rolleyes:. FWIW, I really like the new PL Express Deals. I've booked them in the past and also used their prices as the "upper limit" for bidding.

On the SKY the 24/7 venue is named LONGBOARDS (Longboard Bar) and it it complimentary. There will be wings, brownie sundaes, artichoke dip and other delights to be had there!!

Interesting that NCL doesn't list that as a 24/7 venue

I sailed the Pearl on a 5 day cruise. Only ate at La Cucina for $10 but that's because our group went there. It wasn't anything to rave about. The rest was all included dining, the MDR and Indigo were our favorites. Half the menu stays the same the other half changed. The cruise was too short to exhaust the menu. You will love it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I am loving all the fantastic info.! You guys have so much knowledge! Thank you so much!

To sdmike: Thank you for the great list of the restaurants and times on the Sky.

To Sauer-Kraut: I will be trying out the Longboard for those Brownie Sundaes. And I want to try the Artichoke dip too!

To Gordonchick: I loved your 2nd quote too! "Everyone brings joy to a room. Some when they enter, others when they leave." I'll be teaching that tomorrow to my Kindergartners! I won't tell them I secretly smile inside when a couple of them are absent!

To robinbtigger: I instantly recognized your name! (but I don't remember the "b" in the middle.) You were the best & one of my favorites! So glad to see you are on here now! I also watch the Express Deals and use them as a gauge of the upper limit. Clues help!

To all: Thank you & keep that info. coming! I have a notebook!

Edited by Pomcoach

We sail on multiple cruise lines, including NCL. The MDR food on NCL is our least favorite of the lines we sail. When on NCL, we do like to sample the specialty restaurants in addition to dining at the MDR. Le Bistro is our favorite specialty.

Taste in food is subjective, and many find NCL's MDR food to be perfectly acceptable.

Our first NCL cruise, we ate breakfast and lunch at the buffet and dinner almost exclusively in the MDR. Both were terrific. Did not lose one pound. We've cruised HAL our last 2 cruises and did room service breakfasts three times, buffet the rest. Dinner in MDR every night. Food was so good in all places we ate in on HAL, we were extremely satisfied. Twice we had Thai food in the buffet and both times it was the best I've ever had... better than many mainland restaurants I've eaten on. Next cruise will, again, be on NCL. I see absolutely no need to spend on the specialty restaurants because the food on the other venues has always been so good. If I were to pick a specialty restaurant, I'd probably choose the steak house ----- although I've had the steak many times in the MDR and it was always delicious. You don't have to feel cheap... you did, after all, pay to cruise. That's all you need to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just spent three weeks on the Dawn and are leaving Saturday for two weeks on the Epic. Very simple concept. For those that watch pennies, go to the MDR. We found the food much better than expected in the MDR. But unless you have the same waiter each night, a bit mechanical. Only issue, were wait times at primetime. They give you a pager and have you sit in a bar and wait. Not our way of cruising. We found the MDR to be THEiR time dining not YOUR time Freestyle dining. Week two, we bought the $ 119.00 dining option. Best money spent not the cruise. NO CROWDS. Always room. Never had to wait. MDR cannot come close to Cagneys or Moderno. Made a few reservations, but then just showed up. There are monitors all around the ship showing availability. Do the math. Ten years ago, we paid 50% more for our cruise. Add the $ 119.00 and don't worry about it. Go and eat when and where you want. Food was much better than CC.

We always have a wonderful time on our cruises, and we NEVER eat in the specialty restaurants. There is plenty of great food in the MDR, with different offerings every night, and also a standing menu if you don't like one of the nightly offerings. There is also the buffet and Blue Lagoon if you want to mix it up and still not pay more. We also only book inside cabins (never in it but to sleep and change clothes). We prefer to spend our vacay dollars on excursions and extra night before and sometimes after. We have cruised on several lines and have decided that NCL suits us best, mostly bc of the entertainment. We like RCCL, too. I must say I've never had a bad meal on a cruise ship. If I'm not wowed on a particular night, I just remind myself that I didn't have to cook it, so it's always a treat. And, yes, I am a foodie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk