If we only eat in Main Dining Room, will that be good enough?

Pomcoach

Doing a 4 day cruise on the Sky to Bahamas. We got a balcony room. I feel like we've already spent a good amount of money. (yes, I'm cheap.) I just don't want to spend even more money going to special restaurants. I feel like we already paid for food, and don't want to "fork" over even more money.

Is the food OK in the main dining room or buffet? Or are we going to be disappointed? We are used to Carnival main dining rooms and have never been on a ship that had specialty restaurants before.

Doing a 4 day cruise on the Sky to Bahamas. We got a balcony room. I feel like we've already spent a good amount of money. (yes, I'm cheap.) I just don't want to spend even more money going to special restaurants. I feel like we already paid for food, and don't want to "fork" over even more money.

Is the food OK in the main dining room or buffet? Or are we going to be disappointed? We are used to Carnival main dining rooms and have never been on a ship that had specialty restaurants before.

It's very subjective, but I could certainly eat in the MDR for an entire cruise (not just a 4 day one).

I really like the Speciality Restaurants and usually go there a couple of times in a week, but that isn't because I have any problem with the MDR's, just that the specialities are that bit more of a treat.

Many people cruise on NCL and never go to a speciality restaurant.

I liked the food on NCL better than what was served on Carnival. The food is hotter, seasoned more to my taste. And I sure don't like assigned dining so NCL fits me just fine.

The portions may be smaller than what you are used to; if you're still hungry ask for another serving. Or go to the buffet for a wider variety of foods. Most of the time, it's the same items that are on the dining room menu with a few extras thrown in for good measure.

HI,

I have never been on the Sky but on all the other ships we have been on the MDR is usually great. (until we got to Platinum we never did the pay places weither).

There are usually several other non pay options -- the buffet, a 24 hour place (on the Jewel it is the Blue Lagoon on the Breakaway it is OSheehans). On some ships there is a second MDR that you can chose also.

Last time we were on the Breakaway we kept going to Taste (not the MDR) because the had the best scallop appertizer!

Edited by agargoyle

We are usually on 10 day cruises and are platinum members, so we get two free meals in a couple of the specialty restuarants. Until we became platinum, we had not eaten anywhere but the main dining rooms, the buffet, the burger places, Blue Lagoon, etc. We also figured that we had paid for food, and since it was so good, why go elsewhere. I am still that way. So, do not feel awkward that you do not go for the specialty restaurants. It is no big deal. We like excursions and use our money for those.

This is our first cruise altogether.... and we are wondering the same....! Incidently, when I saw your nickname and from Iowa.... you are the same pomcoach that was on biddingfortravel back in the day.... you may still be there, my daughter has now worked for various major hotel chains and we don't use Priceline nearly as much as we did 10 or so years ago! Her discount works well for us :-). Glad to see you online again! Have a great trip!

Just got off Getaway this morning. It was our first time on NCL. We usually do RCCL. I found that the menu in the main dining room for dinner didn't change very much. Maybe just 4 or 5 entrees would change. The food was very good but like I said it pretty much stayed the same. We did Cagney's and La Cucina, which we had already planned. If we go again I think we would definitely do the dining package. As for the buffet, I can't comment much. We only ate there once and it was only lunch. Food was your average buffet food.

We have only eaten at specialty restaurants twice out of 48 dinners on board. We did enjoy Cagney's on the Gem and Moderno on the Breakaway but have always been very satisfied with the main dining rooms. The food in the buffet is also good, but we prefer the ambiance in the dining rooms over the buffet [and we eat a lot less!] Have a wonderful cruise!

The food at the buffet & the MDR is just fine. Frankly for the price it's the food in the special restaurants that I don't think is worth it.

We have taken 7 day cruises & never ate in a specialty restaurant. At this point we usually only go if we find a 2 for 1 deal which only come about if the ship isn't making enough money.

You will be fine.

That is entirely up to you. If you decide it is 'good enough' it will be. If you decide to let it ruin your cruise, it will do that. Between all of the free places to eat you will have some great food and it will go well unless you choose to be otherwise.

Oh I am so grateful to hear everyone's opinions! I was feeling cheap and awkward, and worrying that we wouldn't have a good time eating!

We love being waited on. At home we go out occasionally, maybe every 3 months, so a sitdown dinner is a very special treat! We marveled at the Carnival main diningroom. We felt like royalty. So I'm so glad to hear that Norwegian is every bit as good.

And to KitinIowa:

Yes I am that same Pomcoach from Biddingfortravel. And yes, I am still on there and bidding every few months. In fact I was trying to get a post-hotel night on Priceline just last night, but bombed out. It tickles me that you remember my name! Ha Ha! Love that website and Priceline and love bidding! So much fun! Glad we are looking for some warmer weather soon here in Iowa. Can't wait for that 70 degree temp. tomorrow!

For breakfasts we're about 90% buffet

For lunch we're about 75% buffet and 25% dining room

For dinner we're 80% dining room, 10% specialty, 10% buffet

We've never gone hungry and enjoy all our meals.

To sdmike: Love the percentages. I'm a teacher and that really helped me think about it logically. Thanks for taking the time to think that through.

And to Mary: Your record of cruises is absolutely astounding! So cool!

We have always be pleased with the MDR and buffet on NCL...

As others have said..you can always find something you will like and can always ask for more..! And freestyle is great ! ( AND....No reason to feel "cheap and awkward!")

Totally fine. The dining room food was decent to good and the buffet was better than Carnival IMO. I feel the same way, we paid for our food already, not really interested in paying more money for food. My husband prefers to save that money for alcohol ;)

On all of our cruises we have only eaten in the specialty restaurants a handful of times. In my opinion, sitting down in the main dining room for dinner is a real treat. Some else is doing the slicing, dicing, chopping, cooking, serving, and cleaning up for me!! Ah, vacation!!

For lunch we're about 75% buffet and 25% dining room

For dinner we're 80% dining room, 10% specialty, 10% buffet

We've never gone hungry and enjoy all our meals.

Yes, this is us, but just a little different:

For lunch we're about 75% bar/somewhere on deck and 25% buffet

For dinner we're 80% dining room or bar, 10% specialty, 10% buffet

You'll be just fine with the MDR or buffet. The food is good to very good and sometimes downright excellent. Definitely prefer NCL food and find it better than Carnival. Carnival does have better deserts.

If you decide to splurge and go to a specialty restaurant you'll have a lovely evening, but it's not a must.

:)

On our first two NCL cruises, we actually never even ate in the main dining room, lol. We always ate at the Blue Lagoon or at the buffet. We were even satisfied with those options! :)

YES.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

this will be my 4th NCL cruise.

I've eaten in the main dining room maybe twice. Buffet the rest of the time. I love the way they're set up with stations. I get in, eat and get on with it! I hate wasting time on a cruise waiting for service :o

I have never done one of the specialty restaurants, and probably never will.

It's very subjective, but I could certainly eat in the MDR for an entire cruise (not just a 4 day one).

I really like the Speciality Restaurants and usually go there a couple of times in a week, but that isn't because I have any problem with the MDR's, just that the specialities are that bit more of a treat.

Many people cruise on NCL and never go to a speciality restaurant.

We too choose the specialty dining rooms a few times each cruise, but we have never felt the MDR food is so bad we had no choice and I am considered a pretty darn good cook. so when I see people on these boards bitch about the food I have to wonder what do they expect?