Puzzled about reservation rules

no fuss travel

On the R ships you are allowed 2 reservations per restaurant for sailings 18+ days, but for the O ships you are only allowed 1 reservations per restaurant for 18+ days sailings for Concierge, Verandah and Inside cabins. Does this make sense?

Number of reservations (Regatta, Insignia, Nautica):

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite and Concierge Level Veranda

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

8-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Number of reservations (Marina and Riviera):

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Oceania Suite

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at each restaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Penthouse Suite

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

18+ Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

I know that JimandStan will chime in on this. On the R ships there are only 2 specialty restaurants. On the O ships there are 5. Hence your actually get more reservations for the same amount of cruising. Of course, that also means that you are committed to a specific time rather than taking advantage of the open seating in the other venues.

Your choice-your way

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I must have missed one, I only count 4, unless you are counting La Reserve, which is at an extra cost, or Privee which has the Polo or Toscana menu, and also is an extra cost.

You don't need reservations for anything else.

On the R ships you are allowed 2 reservations per restaurant for sailings 18+ days, but for the O ships you are only allowed 1 reservations per restaurant for 18+ days sailings for Concierge, Verandah and Inside cabins. Does this make sense?

I believe that the logic is that both sets of Passengers will be dining for the same number of nights in a Specialty Restaurant.

The R ship Passengers are guaranteed 2 nights in each of two Restaurants.

Whereas the O ship Passengers are guaranteed 1 night in each of four Restaurants

I believe that the logic is that both sets of Passengers will be dining for the same number of nights in a Specialty Restaurant.

The R ship Passengers are guaranteed 2 nights in each of two Restaurants.

Whereas the O ship Passengers are guaranteed 1 night in each of four Restaurants

It may also have something to do with capacity -- the number of passengers and the available space in the restaurants. There are twice as many passengers and twice as many restaurants on the O ships -- so the net net is the same: 4 meals total

But why is the Penthouse suite treated differently than the other suites?

There are a whole host of reasons, from how many more Penthouses there are on the newer, bigger ships to the fact that with four Restaurants it's fairly useless to give anyone more than two reservations per restaurant unless the cruise exceeds three weeks.

Confidentially speaking, the Penthouses on the Marina and Riviera a SO much of an improvement over those on the R ships that we are lucky that there isn't a greater price differential................ssshhhhhhh

One reason for a PH is you can order in your cabin from any of the specialty restaurants including the menu from the GDR. This is nice when you have a port intensive cruise with little or no sea days. You can return to your cabin from a long tour day, fix your drink of choice and wait to be served course by course in your underwear if you dare. :D

But it is what it is. I do not like all of the specialty restaurants, so they give you two each (OS) but we only take them in three of the four specialties. I am not sniffing...we love The Terrace. Just saying..unless you don't like all the specialties, it isn't across the board. We are always treated very fairly though.

But it is what it is. I do not like all of the specialty restaurants, so they give you two each (OS) but we only take them in three of the four specialties. I am not sniffing...we love The Terrace. Just saying..unless you don't like all the specialties, it isn't across the board. We are always treated very fairly though.

Now Caroldoll, dry your tears, dear. You may be correct insofar as making Reservations in advance of the Cruise is concerned-

But what does that matter when you will virtually have Carte Blanche once you step onto the Ship?

There are a whole host of reasons, from how many more Penthouses there are on the newer, bigger ships to the fact that with four Restaurants it's fairly useless to give anyone more than two reservations per restaurant unless the cruise exceeds three weeks.

Confidentially speaking, the Penthouses on the Marina and Riviera a SO much of an improvement over those on the R ships that we are lucky that there isn't a greater price differential................ssshhhhhhh

Damn......you have let out the secret !!!!

With regard to Dinner Reservations it is the old adage......Not what you know but WHO

Brian

The most important thing I learned from my Jan cruise on Marina in regard to restaurant reservations was to make the 4 or whatever reservations allowed asap online when they open for your cabin category. People who waited until they were on board did not get all the reservations they wanted. I just wanted to try all 4 at least once and that is what I want to do again on our summer O cruise. There were many strategies used to get extra reservations on our cruise but as Brian said, sometimes it is who you know as one friend got some of us extra reservations at the last minute more than once. The extra reservation I got myself was done by going to the reservation desk early in the morning on a day when many would be off the ship at night. My expert friend said sometimes she pretends to offer money, sometimes she offers a few dollars and sometimes she just gets lucky. It is a crap shoot fair or not. I say it pays to read cruise critic to see what others do.

The most important thing I learned from my Jan cruise on Marina in regard to restaurant reservations was to make the 4 or whatever reservations allowed asap online when they open for your cabin category. People who waited until they were on board did not get all the reservations they wanted. I just wanted to try all 4 at least once and that is what I want to do again on our summer O cruise. There were many strategies used to get extra reservations on our cruise but as Brian said, sometimes it is who you know as one friend got some of us extra reservations at the last minute more than once. The extra reservation I got myself was done by going to the reservation desk early in the morning on a day when many would be off the ship at night. My expert friend said sometimes she pretends to offer money, sometimes she offers a few dollars and sometimes she just gets lucky. It is a crap shoot fair or not. I say it pays to read cruise critic to see what others do.

Frist, EVERYONE gets their basic number of reservations whether they book beforehand or on board. The only difference is choice: date and time - to share or not to share.

Offer money? Outrageous. Gauche. I cannot believe that an O employee would take a bribe which is what it is.

I have no idea if anyone actually took money. But even though everybody gets their fair chance for 4 reservations, on our January cruise, some did not get all they were entitled to for whatever reason (too large a group, waited too late, would not share, who knows?). Those are some of the people who complain and say unfair whether their fault or not. I thought the 4 reservation policy and filling of empty seats was fine thanks to following legal advice I got here-book at first chance and ask for extra at the reservation desk. I thought it was too bad, everyone that goes on these cruises is not able to research and read here ahead of time.

This is a subject that was discussed at great length when the Marina fist debuted. For me it was not so much about the new policy but the fact that Oceania did not tell us about it until very close to those first five sailings. They kept the information to themselves when naturally we assumed the policy would be the same as on the R ships. To me the fact that there are more restaurants on board does not mean one should not get the same amount of reservations in each.