Ft Lauderdale Procedures

NW Pacific

flew out of FLL March 1- first time through security( well in the last 10 yrs. or so) that we did not have to take off shoes, in fact told not to, and were told to keep jackets on?? It was done in such a hurry up mode, not sure but I think we went through "regular xray scanners" versus the type where you step in, rasie your arms above your head and the scan rotates around you.

Is this a trend???

Not necessarily approved for Pre-Check. TSA has been randomly pulling people out of the normal cattle line and sending them through the Pre-Check line for a few months. It's supposed to be a step toward making Pre-Check the norm and the other line for more rigorous testing.

If you do get pulled again and sent to the Pre-Check line, you don't have to take off your shoes, you can leave your jacket on, and your 3-1-1 bag can stay in your carryon.

Not necessarily approved for Pre-Check. TSA has been randomly pulling people out of the normal cattle line and sending them through the Pre-Check line for a few months. It's supposed to be a step toward making Pre-Check the norm and the other line for more rigorous testing.

If you do get pulled again and sent to the Pre-Check line, you don't have to take off your shoes, you can leave your jacket on, and your 3-1-1 bag can stay in your carryon.

Depending on the airport and how busy they are at a given time, sometimes they are randomly pulling people out for Pre-Check, and sometimes they are just doing what they called "expedited screening" or something to that effect.

Full Pre-Check: Shoes and light jackets stay on, 3-1-1 bag and laptop stay in bag

Expedited Screening: Shoes and light jackets stay on, but 3-1-1 bag and laptop still have to come out.

FLL, at least in terminal 2, tends to go to "expedited screening" while shutting down full Pre-Check once it gets past a certain point in the early evening and passenger volume slows.

In GRR yesterday the Pre Chek lane was closed for repairs (?) so they had me go through the regular lane. I was told to keep my shoes and shuit jacket on, but had to take out my 3-1-1 bag--fortunately old habits die slowly and I still pack toiletries into the 3-1-1 bag inside my toiletry bag with everything else.

Another thought ... I believe that travelers over a certain age (I think the magic number is 70) are not required to remove jackets or shoes to process thru security.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/screening-passengers-75-and-older

Passengers 75 and older receive modified screening procedures as part of TSA's overarching risk-based security methodology. These procedures are similar to screening procedures for passengers 12 and under and improve screening by better focusing resources on passengers who may be more likely to pose a risk.

Passengers 75 and older can:

Leave on shoes and light jackets through security checkpoints.

Undergo an additional pass through Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) to clear any anomalies detected during screening.

An expanded use of explosives trace detection technology is also deployed on a wider basis to resolve alarms. Travelers may be required to remove their shoes or undergo a pat-down if anomalies are detected during security screening that cannot be resolved through other means.

Hey there, AOK, just wanted to let everyone know that our experience had nothing do with age at FLL- well at least I think not??(lol) we were not the only ones directed to leave shoes and jackets one, etc.

Nice experience- but unfortunately for me, I already had my shoes off- like I am programmed for this- so put them back on in a hurry to comply with directions! got to love TSA

• 3 weeks later...

I am loving this pre check thing -- get it on the ticket well over 1/2 the time in the last year. Puts a smile on my face -- doesn't take much in airport to make me a little happier.

Quick side note: If your shoes happen to have a lot of metal on them, you will still have to take them off. This past Saturday I was wearing a pair of wedge heals that have big metal buckles on the side. They've alarmed the metal detector before, so even though I was in the PreCheck line I slipped them off. However, the TSA agent berated me and insisted that I put them back on so I complied. Of course, the metal detector then beeped and THAT agent naturally made me take them off and go through again. I shot a brief "told ya so" look at the first agent who said nothing and turned away.

I often fly in ballet flats that have a silver dollar sized silver ring on the front, and they've never set the machine off. I suspect that your wedges have a metal shank in them, and that might be contributing. Of course I could be wrong. :)

I often fly in ballet flats that have a silver dollar sized silver ring on the front, and they've never set the machine off. I suspect that your wedges have a metal shank in them, and that might be contributing. Of course I could be wrong. :)

Could be, as I've had flip flops with no visible metal that set them off for exatly that reason. The buckles are the same size as on some belts I have that set it off though, and there are also metal studs all the way around the back part of the shoe. Either way, it's enough visible metal that I would have thought when I told him they have set it off before he would have seen the buckles and nodded in agreement. But no, he wanted to be Mr. Rules Enforcer and by God the rules for PreCheck say DON'T take your shoes off so he was having none of that LOL.

Went to see daughter in Denver- flight back Den-PDX- got in the "lucky line" again- keep liquids in suitcase, leave shoes and light jacket on- regular "xray machine" so nice- not so, PDX-DEN- the complete "shakedown"- I guess it is totally random? Oh well, just wanted to add this note.

Went to see daughter in Denver- flight back Den-PDX- got in the "lucky line" again- keep liquids in suitcase, leave shoes and light jacket on- regular "xray machine" so nice- not so, PDX-DEN- the complete "shakedown"- I guess it is totally random? Oh well, just wanted to add this note.

For those who don't have standard PreCheck "approval" by virtue of frequent flyer status or Global Entry, yes it is random. For those I just mentioned, PreCheck is SOP, unless they are randomly chosen NOT to get it, which is generally rare.

...regular "xray machine"...

You keep referring to this x-ray machine or x-ray scanner. Are you talking about the walk-through metal detector? Just to let you know, they use an electromagnetic field to detect metal. Not x-ray in any form.

Edited by ghulett

The walk through metal detector- don't know why I called it an xray machine? (oops) The newer type scanner is the one where you have to put your arms above your head and put your feet in the appropriate markings on the floor.