Anyone Going to Alaska Soon - For the First Time?

sjmbruce

Headed on my second cruise - to Alaska for the first time! There are a lot of moving parts - flying from Detroit, layover in Toronto, landing in Vancouver. Spending a night in Vancouver before embarking. Lots of planning for independent tours and car rentals at all ports. A long day in Anchorage at the end of the cruise, with the flight home leaving at 11:57pm, a layover in Denver and finally arriving in Detroit at 3pm the next day.

Starting to get anxious about all of the planning and keeping it all together!

Headed on my second cruise - to Alaska for the first time! There are a lot of moving parts - flying from Detroit, layover in Toronto, landing in Vancouver. Spending a night in Vancouver before embarking. Lots of planning for independent tours and car rentals at all ports. A long day in Anchorage at the end of the cruise, with the flight home leaving at 11:57pm, a layover in Denver and finally arriving in Detroit at 3pm the next day.

A great place to post this is on the Alaska board. :) Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Flying up Sunday for work.

Seattle, Anchorage, Kotzbou (sp?), Anchorage, Juneau, Sitka, Juneau, Wrangell, Juneau, then back to Seattle.

Kotzebue?! In April. Wow, that will be an adventure. That will officially make you one of a very few who has seen "real" Alaska.

Have fun. :)

Kotzebue?! In April. Wow, that will be an adventure. That will officially make you one of a very few who has seen "real" Alaska.

Have fun. :)

I've had the pleasure to work in Bethel, Nome, Barrow, Fairbanks, and up and down all of SE Alaska. Even better, it's usually for just a couple of days, week max.

If I were to do an Alaska cruise, I might as well take my tools with me and get the company to pay for it. I've actually suggested it and was shot down. Even though it would save them about $3- $5K in airfare/hotels/meals/ and rental cars.

Well I don't know if you can really call it "soon" but we are booked on a 2015 Alaska cruise. We are heading up a week early to do some independent touring so we also have quite a bit of planning. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been planning it for over a year. Lots to plan! We are East Coasters, so we have a long flight to get to Seattle. We are getting in two days early and leaving two days after, so I have pre/post cruise planning too. We are on the Pearl RT out of Seattle. Just from the planning I have been doing, I already think we will have to do a return trip someday. There is just SO much to do! But, we can't spend more than a few weeks. Between our jobs, and all the commitments our teens have, AND leaving our beloved dog behind, being gone close to two weeks is max for us. I am so very excited to go on this trip!!

Happy sailing!

Sjm,

You mention that you are renting cars at ports. Everyone is free to choose what they do, but are there any particular reasons?

Just going from my experience traveling to and working at all of the port stops, I can tell you that you may find the expense and experience not worth the money or hassle. Cabs are cheaper, faster, and more friendly.

I remember that on one of my first trips, I rented a car. I drove all over the place site seeing. Turned in the car the next day,,,,,I had gone 12 miles. Hell, Juneau only has 50 miles of paved road.

Just sharing my experience

Actually traveling with husband next month from east coast into Seattle then on Celebrity Solstice to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria. Into Seattle 2 days early and staying overnight at end of cruise. Can't travel across country and not have time in Seattle!

Absolutely excited !!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by itsabouttime14

Going to Alaska in August for the first time. Doing a 7 day return out of Vancouver on Celebrity with 30+ Zumba enthusiasts. Icy Strait, Juneau and Ketchikan. We will arrive the day of our cruise as we live a 1 1/2 hr ferry ride from Port so will take the local transit in Vancouver. Only other cruises I've done have been Pacific coastal heading south to California. Be strange going north to cooler climate lol. Still it's cruising and I'm excited!!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

sjm,

Yes, we are headed to Alaska on our first cruise EVER in late July. I too am amazed at how much planning is needing to be done for a trip that I assumed would be just a book it and go type trip.

Frankly, one of the reasons we've never cruised is that I really like to do some of the plotting and planning. Who knew?

We are flying to Anchorage, arriving late, spending two nights in Anchorage and then heading south to Whittier for our southbound to Vancouver. Unfortunately we have to head straight home after the cruise.

We just planned this about 2 weeks ago so I'm kinda overwhelmed with planning excursions, etc.

And yes, there is a lot of info on the Alaska board.

Have fun,

Heidi

• 3 weeks later...
Actually traveling with husband next month from east coast into Seattle then on Celebrity Solstice to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria. Into Seattle 2 days early and staying overnight at end of cruise. Can't travel across country and not have time in Seattle!

Absolutely excited !!

Hey I am in your Alaskan Roll Call :) How did your celebration get together go the other day for the cruise? Learn any new tips? Just 2 1/2 more weeks now woohoo :)

Hi TX Cherbear! It was wonderful to meet the folk in our group. It was a fantastic meet with great folks, food and information. It did make me realize I just may need to get a beverage package. But not too much other info friends and this board haven't shared. I actually decided to use those packing bags for this trip...like those sold by ebags.com. They appear to minimize space (at least I am hoping). Just getting excited! Be in touch!

hi it's about time. :). glad to hear you had such a wonderful time. looking forward to meeting you at the meet and mingle and hopefully some if the crew from your get together as well. :)

Woohoo just two more weeks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too am headed for an Alaskan cruise in July with Celebrity. So looking forward to getting away. My flight is also to Denver late night so decided to spend day in Seward then take the Alaska railroad to anchorage just in time to fly home. Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First cruise for us! DH said "Anything you want, dear" for my (insert number that ends with zero) birthday! We have a DIY land tour before sailing south on RCI Radiance. I am having so much fun with the planning!:D

Lei

Hubby-to-be and I are taking our honeymoon cruise on May 1, 2015 on Celebrity Solstice - flying into Vancouver, spending a few nights, embarking on the Sawyer Glacier cruise, disembarking in Seattle, spending a few nights there, and then coming back home.

5th cruise -- 1st Alaska - started packing and not leaving for 24 days -

Oosterdam Vancouver 5/25 crazy excited now

have a roll call going on the Holland Oosterdam site -- check it out if you are on this cruise

thanks for all of the reassurance and advice! almost a month later, I am even more nervous than I was when I first posted. I know it is all going to be worth it once we are there....my stomach is in knots now though

thanks for all of the reassurance and advice! almost a month later, I am even more nervous than I was when I first posted. I know it is all going to be worth it once we are there....my stomach is in knots now though

Hope you have a great cruise - my first is in 63 days and everyday I get more excited about it! Hopefully I'll come back to find a happy happy review from your cruise.

Our first Alaskan cruise is in August. :)

We fly from Houston to Vancouver where we will spend four nights prior to boarding Radiance of the Sea. Two weeks of DIY land travel after the cruise and then fly from Anchorage back to Texas.

All of the plans and reservations have been complete for several months. No car rentals except for Denali, we are using Alaska rail for everywhere else.

Why are you so nervous with your stomach in knots? This is a fun exciting thing you are doing, a happy vacation, it will be good! :D Relax and look forward to it.