Bonine.. How much to take?

EasyBreezy83

I get very seasick!! I've been taking Bonine every time I cruise now. Question is: I usually take 2 and that works great, but I fight a little sleepy feeling. Do you think 1 a day would still work for someone that gets very sick without anything?? Or should I stick to 2?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

I get very seasick!! I've been taking Bonine every time I cruise now. Question is: I usually take 2 and that works great, but I fight a little sleepy feeling. Do you think 1 a day would still work for someone that gets very sick without anything?? Or should I stick to 2?

I am very prone to motion sickness and I take one. I start the night before the cruise and take it every night before bed. I find I'm not as sleepy during the day if I take it at night.

Have you tried ginger tablets/capsules? Several people that cruise with us that are prone to motion sickness take them and never seem to have a problem. They also don't have the problems with blurred vision and drowsiness that you sometimes get with the pills and patches. You might be able to cut back in the Bonine by taking the ginger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I took it- I took one. I am someone who can't do anything in the back of the car or I'm puking. I somehow no longer need to take it on a cruise. One made me want to go to bed by midnight; however, I'm asleep for six hours on a half a Benadryl.

The lovey Mrs., starts the day before we sail, and takes one every morning, and has NO problems. She is very prone to motion sickness as well. Also, she takes Meclizine, which is the generic of Bonine, and is far less expensive. You can ask for it from Wal-Mart, Walgreens, or probably most any other pharmacy. It's only about $6 or $7 per 100 tablets by purchasing it that way.

Good luck, and hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise! ;)

"SKY"

I also get very seasick and have tried to take 1. Doesn't work as good as 2 at once but I only have to take them once a day, first thing in the morning starting the morning of the cruise and they work great. I have found Walmart has the best prices. Never go on my cruises without them :)

For medical advice on taking medications, you don't come to a message board. You consult your health care professional. Just because it is over the counter, there are still SIDE EFFECTS and nobody here knows your history, etc.

IF you aren't going to do that, then don't go beyond what is WRITTEN on the package of the drug, and ask a pharmacist. I've seen several variations, that are recommended - again, by health care professionals, for taking this drug.

Have you tried Sea Bands? They go around your wrist and press your pressure points. It's a great preventative step. You can get them on the ship or at Amazon. They make for some funny looking tan lines, but no seasickness for me when I use them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

For medical advice on taking medications, you don't come to a message board. You consult your health care professional. Just because it is over the counter, there are still SIDE EFFECTS and nobody here knows your history, etc.

IF you aren't going to do that, then don't go beyond what is WRITTEN on the package of the drug, and ask a pharmacist. I've seen several variations, that are recommended - again, by health care professionals, for taking this drug.

WOW! This is an OTC medication. It clearly states on the box not to take it if you have certain conditions, and also advises you HOW to take it, and also, possible side effects.

CHILL OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking you didn't read my post before positing your comment and jumping on the worry wagon. The box says you can take up to 2 pills a day, which I said I always have. I'm asking if taking only one has worked the same as taking 2 for others. Sheesh.. Relax. :rolleyes:

One Bonine and One Ginger Pill each morning.

Been using that mix for the last 10 cruises with no problems. Before that, I would get sick on every cruise.. especially in the main showroom.

Catrin

WOW. Just WOW!

I normally have taken 1, but a couple of cruises back the water was a little rough so I took 2 a day that cruise. The 2 definitely made me sleepy. Switched back to 1 and felt better. Also switched from morning to evening. So now unless I really feel the need, I am sticking to 1.

I am very prone to seasickness. I take one Bonine/meclizine in the evening, starting the evening before boarding. The reason I take them in the evening is because that's when they usually speed the ship up to make time, which can lead to a sometimes rougher ride. If I ever see ship crew putting out the barf bags, I march back to the cabin and pop another one. I've been fine with this method. If the 2nd one does cause drowsiness, I'm going to bed in a few hours anyway.

Edited by GORDONCHICK

Thanks for the reminder, Budget Queen. :)