Breakaway - just returned 03/30

Fivehole

Outstanding cruise! Balcony cabin deck 8, great location to dining and entertainment venues. Saw Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, Cirq Dreams - all excellent. Had a lot of fun at Howl at the Moon, dance parties at Spice, Fat Cats. Moderno was excellent, La Cucina was just okay. MDR food was fine. Weather was impeccable at all ports. People in T-shirts/swimwear (a little brave on the latter!) by afternoon of first sea day. On the return, first sea day was outstanding, full sun. Second sea day was warm in a.m., got progressively chillier as we moved north, brought people inside and that was the only time I really noticed crowds, but not overwhelming. Did a wine tasting, did the ice bar (can't figure out the attraction of the ice bar, but we did it anyway).

Can't say enough good about the Waterfront - just an outstanding concept. Spent a lot of time there, on port and sea days. What a beautiful place to dine, relax, have a drink all while overlooking the ocean.

Really had a wonderful, relaxing and fun cruise. Highly recommend!

Welcome home.

Thanks for your quick review fivehole.

You guys did have good weather. How was GSC?

Glad you loved Breakaway :)

We plan on handing out on the Waterfront a lot, too.

Can't wait!

Happy Sailing!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

GSC was awesome! Had a small cabana, worth every penny for our family. It was a perfect escape from the sun, we ate lunch in the cabana, basically used the heck out of it!

Walked over to the Bacardi Bar. That beach was crowded - another time we noticed the sheer volume of people on Breakaway. I believe if we were on a smaller ship we would have had the cabana beach to just cabana guests probably, but there appeared to be plenty of people who kept walking past the main beach so there were non-cabana people there too. Not a bother, though. We used the newer buffet area to eat, no crowds. Lagoon is beautiful, too. Husband and son snorkeled and enjoyed it.

In Pt. Canaveral we ate at Moderno outdoor seating, watching the sun set and saw dolphins splashing in the water while we ate. It was really cool. On our first sea day back the entire waterfront was open for business. Before we left I was wondering if it would be too windy to dine or use Waterfront on the sea days but that was not the case at all - it was perfectly fine to use in any capacity, and was busy. Had Gelato, lobster rolls from Ocean Blue (the walk-up portion of which was not open as much as other venues, but we kept an eye on it!). Loved sitting outdoors by Fat Cats with a beer listening to blues in the beautiful evening weather.

Woohoo!!

Drinks on the waterfront at Fat Cats after dinner sounds heavenly.

ETA: How was the new band there?

Next year we want to try the Gem just so we can go to GSC.

Want to have a couple drinks at the Ice Bar, too. Just don't want to think about being cold right now after the winter we just had. Just to say we did it and take some pix.

Thank you for your thoughts. Soooo excited. 90 days to go.

Get me on the ship!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

New band is Les Getrex (sp?) Creole band - they were good. I'm not a blue aficionado by any means, but we enjoyed them.

Ice bar was lost on us, to be honest. We did it, drinks were really sweet and not my preference. The bar is the size of a cabin, maybe, and there's really nothing to it. You go in, drink your sweet concoction, take a few pictures in your parka/cape, and get out, wondering why you didn't just throw two $20 bills off the balcony. There's not a lot of ooohhh and aaahhh, in my opinion!

Our only disappointment was the pizza, or what they refer to as pizza, in the buffet, in La Cucina, and room service (we tried it all). For a cruise from NY, they are honestly better off not serving any, since it is on par with Tombstone frozen pizza - and that may be a generous comparison. I am a NYer, and we tend to be pizza snobs, but what they are passing off for pizza on the ship is pretty horrendous.

Another note on dining - we never had to wait for a table for 6, not in MDR or O'Sheehan's for breakfast, lunch or dinner, not in Moderno or La Cucina (called for reservation within 1 hours and got it, both times). And we went at all different times of the day.

The pizza would honestly be our only disappointment. We had probably our best cruise as a family yet, and we have been on 11 or so with the kids so far.

Cool, thanks. No blues expert here either. As long as the music is good, the drinks are flowing and we are aboard BA, then life is good :)

The drinks are that sweet? Maybe we will skip it then. Who needs to be in a 17* freezer when it was below 17* here since December?

ETA: geez about the pizza. Tombstone bad? Even the room service one? My son is gonna p****d at that. He was planning on ordering some midnight ones. (He's 18 and will be allowed to have beers).

Not too bad that the pizza is all you have to complain about. Yeah, we got good pizza here. We will just wait till we get back to NYC to have some.

Good to hear about dinner times not a problem. We are a group of 10!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

GSC was awesome! Had a small cabana, worth every penny for our family. It was a perfect escape from the sun, we ate lunch in the cabana, basically used the heck out of it!

Walked over to the Bacardi Bar. That beach was crowded - another time we noticed the sheer volume of people on Breakaway. I believe if we were on a smaller ship we would have had the cabana beach to just cabana guests probably, but there appeared to be plenty of people who kept walking past the main beach so there were non-cabana people there too. Not a bother, though. We used the newer buffet area to eat, no crowds. Lagoon is beautiful, too. Husband and son snorkeled and enjoyed it.

In Pt. Canaveral we ate at Moderno outdoor seating, watching the sun set and saw dolphins splashing in the water while we ate. It was really cool. On our first sea day back the entire waterfront was open for business. Before we left I was wondering if it would be too windy to dine or use Waterfront on the sea days but that was not the case at all - it was perfectly fine to use in any capacity, and was busy. Had Gelato, lobster rolls from Ocean Blue (the walk-up portion of which was not open as much as other venues, but we kept an eye on it!). Loved sitting outdoors by Fat Cats with a beer listening to blues in the beautiful evening weather.

More and more people are talking about the lagoon and how nice it is, so I'm sure a lot of non-cabana people will check it out, not that it is meant only for cabana renters anyway.

Thank you for the review. My sister and her gang are sailing on the Breakaway in June to Bermuda. I'm glad you had such a good time. I hope she loves it too, it will be their first cruise ever.