Why never to carry your passport when abroad!

Theodorable

Maybe things have changed over the past 6-7 years or so, but we each have two passports.

When they first came out with the card we had the option to get the card or regular passport or both. So we opted to get both. I have a regular passport book and a passport card. So leave the passport book in the safe and take the card with you?

"On every cruise we have taken we have been told to bring our passport with us when we get off of the ship. "

I have been on over 30 cruises and on ALL of them, it is strongly suggested NOT to take your passport off the ship. Infact, in most cases, it is writtin on the daily planner. Take a some other form of identification....not a passport.

Nicola

On our last cruise in January we were told repeatedly the day we were in St Thomas to bring our passports with as they were checking them on the pier and sure enough they asked for them.

My passport never left my body unless I was in my hotel room the entire time I was in Europe for 17 days and when I was in China for 28 days. I carried it in a pouch under my shirt. They would have had to rip my clothes off of me to get it :p

First off - let me say that I am not saying there is an absolute answer to the take with or lock in safe question. It is a personal decision that lies in the middle of the strong sentiments discussed above. My own practices are stated in my post above.

...I have NEVER been on a cruise where we were told to bring our passports ashore unless it was required by local laws....

...I have been on over 30 cruises and on ALL of them, it is strongly suggested NOT to take your passport off the ship. Infact, in most cases, it is writtin on the daily planner....

As I said in a prior post, Celebrity used to always say to bring your passport ashore with you in Europe. Perhaps the rules have changed but the following is taken from a daily bulletin about 5 years ago and the section on passports appeared on EVERY port day of the cruise:

04.08.2014-05.51.png

As I said above this was the norm a few years back for Europe cruises. I scoured the more recent bulletins for our few Europe cruises within the past four years or so and there was no mention one way or the other on the matter of passports.

We are US citizens and on our Med cruise last year we were not required to surrender our passports for any part of the cruise. We visited Greece, Turkey and Slovenia, as well as Spain, France, and Italy. Our passports were in our room safe the entire time.

Whether or not passports must be surrendered to the ship depends on the specific requests of the local authorities in the port cities who clear the ship for disembarkation there. They will occasionally, perhaps randomly, notify the ship in advance that they require passports available for inspection before allowing disembarkation. If one or more ports provide such notice then the ship will collect passports in advance. If not then they will not. The alternative would be for every passenger to have to present passports to authorities before any passenger would be allowed to leave the ship and that would delay disembarkation at a port of call by hours and also require those who planned on just relaxing on board to get up early to stand in line. There is no standard practice for many ports of call and the decision is made by the port authorities and not the cruise line.

...When they first came out with the card we had the option to get the card or regular passport or both. So we opted to get both. I have a regular passport book and a passport card. So leave the passport book in the safe and take the card with you?

As I said in a prior post the passport card is nothing more than mere identification for purposes other than land crossings from the USA into Canada and Mexico or closed loop, round trip, cruises from a USA port. The passport card "might" help identify you to a USA consulate if your passport book goes missing but it will not substitute for a passport book for flights or other purposes outside North America.

Edited by Lsimon

Here's a right from the horse's mouth story for you. We missed our ship in 2000 in St. Thomas. We were instructed NOT to bring our passports on shore, so we left confidently with our snorkel gear, ship card and a Visa and very little cash. There were a huge number of cruise ships in port that day - Valentines day and the traffic was insane. We were in a cab on the way back from Coki Beach and there was a traffic accident and major traffic hold ups and congestion getting back to the docks where the tenders were. We got back to the pier, the ship was pulling up anchor . We raced to the port authority and they radioed the ship and told them there were 4 passengers there that missed their ship (another couple missed it too) and they asked our names and bid us farewell.

Keep in mind that this was before 911 and luckily it was a U.S. Port. We are Canadians. The port authority was able to verify who we were, and wrote us a letter to allow us to board a plane to Miami to wait for the ship to return 3 days later. The next stop was HAL's Half Moon Cay, so we couldn't meet up with the ship without hiring a float plane to get us there. So we waited for the ship to return to port and we reboarded (after pleading with the cruise ship to let us back on to pack our things), packed our room and off we went. They were going to pack our cabin up and send our suitcases out to the terminal.

So, lesson learned for us. We will NEVER leave our passports on board again. I really don't think we'd be so fortunate after the tightened security measures after 911.

Lesson learned for us. I now watch people sauntering back to get on the ship and I don't really think they realize - they WILL leave you there without a doubt.

You absolutely never know what can happen when you leave that ship.

My opinion, regardless of who will get what from my safe and deliver to whomever, if I'm on foreign soil, I will have my passport with me unless it is held by the ship due to visa requirements. Period.

If that means when I walk off the ship that I have a flashing "Passport Here!! Get your American Passport Here!" neon sign above my head, then so be it.

I don't walk around the States without my driver's license; I'm not frolicking in a foreign country without my passport.

Completely agree. I have serious doubts that a copy would be sufficient identification in all ports, and I have a passport for a reason.....to use it on foreign soil. Many times a photo ID would work (for instance in St Thomas, where they have been sticklers to say the least....they mostly want to compare your ID to your seapass to verify you are the same person), but why take the chance? Do you not bring money/credit cards ashore "just in case you are robbed"?

Completely agree. I have serious doubts that a copy would be sufficient identification in all ports, and I have a passport for a reason.....to use it on foreign soil. Many times a photo ID would work (for instance in St Thomas, where they have been sticklers to say the least....they mostly want to compare your ID to your seapass to verify you are the same person), but why take the chance? Do you not bring money/credit cards ashore "just in case you are robbed"?

Totally agree. We carry our passports in secure pouches under our clothes, but they are travel documents to be used when in foreign countries, so we do not chose to travel without them. We regard copies as helpful in the unlikely case that we loose the originals, not as any usable form of identification.

Edited by smtcan

The passport card is fine for photo ID. It will not get you on a plane.

We just ordered renewal passport books--with cards. I am now wondering what good the card actually is? While the card is not for use in all places...would it be better than a paper copy at least?

Here's a right from the horse's mouth story for you. We missed our ship in 2000 in St. Thomas. We were instructed NOT to bring our passports on shore, so we left confidently with our snorkel gear, ship card and a Visa and very little cash. There were a huge number of cruise ships in port that day - Valentines day and the traffic was insane. We were in a cab on the way back from Coki Beach and there was a traffic accident and major traffic hold ups and congestion getting back to the docks where the tenders were. We got back to the pier, the ship was pulling up anchor . We raced to the port authority and they radioed the ship and told them there were 4 passengers there that missed their ship (another couple missed it too) and they asked our names and bid us farewell.

Keep in mind that this was before 911 and luckily it was a U.S. Port. We are Canadians. The port authority was able to verify who we were, and wrote us a letter to allow us to board a plane to Miami to wait for the ship to return 3 days later. The next stop was HAL's Half Moon Cay, so we couldn't meet up with the ship without hiring a float plane to get us there. So we waited for the ship to return to port and we reboarded (after pleading with the cruise ship to let us back on to pack our things), packed our room and off we went. They were going to pack our cabin up and send our suitcases out to the terminal.

So, lesson learned for us. We will NEVER leave our passports on board again. I really don't think we'd be so fortunate after the tightened security measures after 911.

Lesson learned for us. I now watch people sauntering back to get on the ship and I don't really think they realize - they WILL leave you there without a doubt.

You absolutely never know what can happen when you leave that ship.

You indicate that you were on a HAL ship. I can't comment of how HAL handles such situations, but I have heard Celebrity officers say in Q&A sessions that they will retrieve your passports from your safe if you miss the ship. Other's on this thread have reported that they have heard the same thing from Celebrity staff and officers. If you attend one of these Q&A sessions on a future cruise, it might be helpful to ask this question.

I have a tendency to believe what I am told by people in a position of authority on a cruise ship. Am I being naive? I don't think so. Our satisfaction is their goal, and I have no reason to believe they would tell us information that would compromise that goal. And besides, the US State Department also recommends that passports and important items be kept in our safes unless we are required to have them on our person.

I don't think all this advice is incorrect. I would much rather deal with the consequences of missing a ship than having my passport stolen. Based on statistics, there is a much larger chance of being separated from your passport that missing your ship. I personally would not want to go through the experience of dealing with the fallout of what might happen with my lost passport. I absolutely would not want to go through the media attention and scrutiny from law enforcement authorities searching for that missing Malaysia plane that those two men had to endure all because their passports were stolen and used on that missing Malaysia plane.

Bottom line is that everyone must do what they think is right for them. There is no right way that fits everybody. Do what you think is best for you. And, if the unthinkable happens, you will know instantly whether you made the right decision or not.

Edited by fortinweb

You indicate that you were on a HAL ship. I can't comment of how HAL handles such situations, but I have heard Celebrity officers say in Q&A sessions that they will retrieve your passports from your safe if you miss the ship. Other's on this thread have reported that they have heard the same thing from Celebrity staff and officers. If you attend one of these Q&A sessions on a future cruise, it might be helpful to ask this question.

I have a tendency to believe what I am told by people in a position of authority on a cruise ship. Am I being naive? I don't think so. Our satisfaction is their goal, and I have no reason to believe they would tell us information that would compromise that goal. And besides, the US State Department also recommends that passports and important items be kept in our safes unless we are required to have them on our person.

I don't think all this advice is incorrect. I would much rather deal with the consequences of missing a ship than having my passport stolen. Based on statistics, there is a much larger chance of being separated from your passport that missing your ship. I personally would not want to go through the experience of dealing with the fallout of what might happen with my lost passport. I absolutely would not want to go through the media attention and scrutiny from law enforcement authorities searching for that missing Malaysia plane that those two men had to endure all because their passports were stolen and used on that missing Malaysia plane.

Bottom line is that everyone must do what they think is right for them. There is no right way that fits everybody. Do what you think is best for you. And, if the unthinkable happens, you will know instantly whether you made the right decision or not.

I have always worried about this since we always do private tours. I always carry the telephone number of the ship to let them know if we would be late. We always plan for return to the ship at least one hour before departure. Anything can happen even with a one hour cushion. We don’t carry the passport but do carry a copy which of course in no way would work as a passport, but is something to go by.

My understanding is that if the ship sees that you are not aboard when they depart that they will leave your passport at the port authority. If you were able to communicate with the ship they might wait if you were not too late. You could also tell them where your passport was and would they retrieve it and leave it with the port authority. Sometimes the ship is holding your passport for general clearance at different ports. If they have no information they cannot afford to wait when they don’t know when you are expected to show up.

I have seen the ship re-lower the gangplank for people running to catch the ship.

Most of the information posted here is useful, however, some countries require that you have an original passport at all times. A copy will not be accepted. My current readings of travel information give an example that a passport is needed in Japan for all foreign visitors. You may be stopped at any time by an official/police. If you do not have an original passport you may be detained at a facility until arrangements can be made to correct the issue.

Other countries may also have similar rules. I think that Russia and China are also in this style? On some cruise ships, we were informed about local regulations before leaving the ship. I am not an expert but do much traveling.

I have always worried about this since we always do private tours. I always carry the telephone number of the ship to let them know if we would be late. We always plan for return to the ship at least one hour before departure. Anything can happen even with a one hour cushion. We don’t carry the passport but do carry a copy which of course in no way would work as a passport, but is something to go by.

My understanding is that if the ship sees that you are not aboard when they depart that they will leave your passport at the port authority. If you were able to communicate with the ship they might wait if you were not too late. You could also tell them where your passport was and would they retrieve it and leave it with the port authority. Sometimes the ship is holding your passport for general clearance at different ports. If they have no information they cannot afford to wait when they don’t know when you are expected to show up.

I have seen the ship re-lower the gangplank for people running to catch the ship.

We have personaly watched "runners" and also have watched numerous YouTube videos of people running for the ship. Some just make it and others don't and are left waving at the ship.

What I haven't seen is the Port Agent running down the Pier after them yelling "Wait, wait I have your passports!!"

We normally carry our passports, especially in Europe.

If it is Celebrity's policy to go to the stateroom and open the safe to retrieve passports of missing passengers, that's fantastic. How would they get the passports to the port authorities? Someone goes to your cabin to get the passports while the staff is scrambling trying to track down the missing passengers, and get cleared to pull out of port on time? I really hope they do. That would be exceptional service.

In my experience, if you miss your ship (unless you're with a ship based excursion), they have no obligation to wait for you. They lay that out perfectly clearly.

My point is, that so many things can happen to stop someone from getting back to their ship. Something as simple as tripping on a cobblestone and slicing your knee and requiring medical assistance, a traffic accident, a flat tire on the cab etc. etc. I would just make sure I look out for myself under all circumstances and make sure I am prepared for any and all emergencies when visiting ports. I guess we learned that the hard way. Things could have been quite a bit worse for us. The whole ordeal was very costly, not to mention the years it took off of my life from stress.

"On every cruise we have taken we have been told to bring our passport with us when we get off of the ship. "

I have been on over 30 cruises and on ALL of them, it is strongly suggested NOT to take your passport off the ship. Infact, in most cases, it is writtin on the daily planner. Take a some other form of identification....not a passport.

Nicola

I would agree with this recommendation. I have been on 45 cruises and 75 different countires over 7 continents. I think if stopped for identification a copy of the passport and a cabin key (ship boarding id) would suffice. I have personally never been stopped and asked for any ID. When travelling from Germany to Switzerland by car we didn't even get stopped. We just drove right on into Switzerland.

Edited by scapel

We just ordered renewal passport books--with cards. I am now wondering what good the card actually is? While the card is not for use in all places...would it be better than a paper copy at least?

There is no reason to believe that a passport card is better than a paper copy of your passport book for travel where an original passport book is required. Some people have posted on Cruise Critic that they believe a passport card might help expedite the replacement of a lost passport but I've never seen any reports of actual experiences or other information on this.

Info in passport card: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.
Edited by Lsimon

There is no reason to believe that a passport card is better than a paper copy of your passport book for travel where an original passport book is required. Some people have posted on Cruise Critic that they believe a passport card might help expedite the replacement of a lost passport but I've never seen any reports of actual experiences or other information on this.

Info in passport card: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

Since I have ordered the book and card--I will take the card and a copy of the book with me and hope I am never in a position to find out!

What I haven't seen is the Port Agent running down the Pier after them yelling "Wait, wait I have your passports!!"

The ship's staff knows at all times who is or is not on board through the scanning of your sea pass card when you leave and return. Just listen to the PA system prior to almost any departure and you will hear announcements for "John Doe, please call customer service on the white phone" or words to that effect. These are passengers who have not yet scanned themselves back on.

As soon as the almost late passenger scans their card upon boarding, the ship's staff will know the passenger has made it onto the ship. Any passports retrieved for late passengers are held at the scanning station until the last moment before the ramp is removed. If the passenger makes it, their retrieved passport is given to them at that time. Only when the ramp is removed will passports be turned over to the port agent for those that did not scan in.

If it is Celebrity's policy to go to the stateroom and open the safe to retrieve passports of missing passengers, that's fantastic. How would they get the passports to the port authorities? Someone goes to your cabin to get the passports while the staff is scrambling trying to track down the missing passengers, and get cleared to pull out of port on time? I really hope they do. That would be exceptional service.

Yes, this is just about what they do, according to what I have been told by ship staff and officers. It is security who will retrieve your passport, not a cabin attendant or other staff member. Only security has the authority to do so.

A disclaimer: I have never had to test this system, not know personally anyone who has. I do, however, believe that what I am being told by Celebrity staff and officers is true, so put my trust in that information.

Edited by boogs

We visited our local AAA office and they have a number of RFID Blocking Products, We got a pouch that holds 2 passport books and a small purse for credit cards, etc...

Dennis & Sue

MyCruisingProfile.png

Aluminum foil is as effective and a lot cheaper. Good for credit cards too, if you have chip and pin.

We carry our passports in a Megellan pouch inside our clothes.

Total malarkey. If you miss the ship, the ship's security people will retrieve your passport from your safe where it should be kept and turn it over to the port representative for you to retrieve when you finally show up. It is a total myth that you will be without your passport.

I have NEVER been on a cruise where we were told to bring our passports ashore unless it was required by local laws. We have always been told by the cruise lines to keep our passports locked in our safes. Even the US State Department recommends that we kept our passports locked in our safes.

We were on a cruise in 2012 that stopped in Dubrovnik. We were told to take our passports, and when we got on the bus to transfer to the old town, we were checked.

Dave

My opinion, regardless of who will get what from my safe and deliver to whomever, if I'm on foreign soil, I will have my passport with me unless it is held by the ship due to visa requirements. Period.

If that means when I walk off the ship that I have a flashing "Passport Here!! Get your American Passport Here!" neon sign above my head, then so be it.

I don't walk around the States without my driver's license; I'm not frolicking in a foreign country without my passport.

I agree. Our passports are in a secure hidden pocket in my travel pants.

Dave

We have personaly watched "runners" and also have watched numerous YouTube videos of people running for the ship. Some just make it and others don't and are left waving at the ship.

We normally carry our passports, especially in Europe.

I was on the Summit last year and just as our ship pulled out of St. Maarten we saw two passengers being driven down the pier on a golf cart.

The port agent didn't run after them; instead she waited for them at the end of the pier. When the passengers arrived they were handed their passports. Thankfully for the passengers the Summit pulled back in to get them so they didn't end up missing the ship. I was later told the only reason the ship did this was because there was a Carnival ship stuck at that port with generator problems and the port agents were already busy with trying to get those 2000+ passengers home.

Edited by lovemylab

If your passport is lost or stolen in port, yes.

But if you missed the ship, you would first check with the port agent

And my post was in response to just that- someone asking about what happens when your passport is lost or stolen. :)

I just Googled lost and stolen passports in Canada last.....about 55,000 in Canada alone.

There's a big difference between lost, as in 'I can't remember where I put it here at home," and stolen. :)

Here's a right from the horse's mouth story for you. We missed our ship in 2000 in St. Thomas. We were instructed NOT to bring our passports on shore...We got back to the pier, the ship was pulling up anchor .... The port authority was able to verify who we were, and wrote us a letter to allow us to board a plane to Miami to wait for the ship to return 3 days later.

Before someone says, "See? They didn't need their passports to board the plane" please note that this was a domestic flight, and Canadians do not need to show a passport for a US domestic flight.

The card will get you over the border into Canada and Mexico in a vehicle. So will your passport. To me, the card is a waste of money. If I lived near a border and went back and forth frequently, I might feel differently about the card.

The card is an acceptable form of photo ID.

The paper copy of your passport will get you nothing. Some places might consider it acceptable photo ID. Others not. You want to have a paper copy for a record of your passport number.

As others have said, you need to do what makes you comfortable. I'm comfortable carrying my passport in a secure location on my person. I've been doing this now for 50 some years and haven't had a problem yet. I usually don't bother in the Caribbean.

Before someone says, "See? They didn't need their passports to board the plane" please note that this was a domestic flight, and Canadians do not need to show a passport for a US domestic flight.

Also remember that this was in the year 2000. Security and passport regulations have become significantly stricter since then. I am certain we would have been delayed longer than 1 night in St. Thomas and would have had a much harder time getting things organized to return to Florida with just a ship I.D. to prove who we were.

We were on a cruise in 2012 that stopped in Dubrovnik. We were told to take our passports, and when we got on the bus to transfer to the old town, we were checked.

Dave

Just like I said - leave them in your safe unless required by local laws to have them on your person. When visiting St. Petersburg, Russia, you must have your passport checked at the port when disembarking from the ship for a tour.

However, in all of our travels, we have only had to do this a very few times.

Edited by boogs