teenage girl disappointed in no formal nights

lakelodge

My kids are 17 and 19 and they both love to dress up, always have. My son actually wanted to purchase a tux for prom so that he would have it to wear at other times and my daughter loves wearing her formals on both "elegant" nights. My husband and I dress full hilt also, it's our chance to dress up as we don't get a chance to at home. For us it's a fun, change of pace evening. But if others want to spend their evening in shorts, that's their choice as well. Whatever rocks YOUR boat is what is best!

You're going to be on a holiday sailing. Definitely have your daughter bring her prom dress or any other dressy dress. You will have the oportunity to take portraits with a holiday background.

We sailed in early December and one of the not to miss things was to take photos with the holiday background.

Lots of young girls will wear their prom dresses and make an effort to look "elegant" and quite grown up. Even some of the younger males (9-12) will be in formal dress and while they might have been forced to wear the outfit, they look very nice.

While Carnival may not seem to be as formal as some of the other lines (i.e, Cunard, Holland American, etc.), you will be surprised at how many passengers do dress up at least for the first formal night. Many Scots in kilts as well as military dress.

MARAPRINCE

We are taking our two granddaughters on the Carnival Dream for a Christmas cruise. The older one-- age 16- had been on a cruise when she was 12, and was so in awe of the tuxedo'd men and women wearing formal gowns. NOW we announced our plans and she was SO excited to get to wear her first formal, only to read that Carnival has discontinued "formal night" for a less dressy night, where men are expected to wear long pants and collared shirts, with jacket and tie as an option.

Just how "dressy" do the women get on this night? Do you think a short "cocktail" dress would be appropriate for a 16 year old young lady? Or should I buy her a long prom-type dress?

Having sailed the last 4 Christmas out of Galveston and NOLA to me people dress up more the first Elegant night than the second. And with it being Christmas people dressed up more than at other times of the year. Many dressed up for Christmas dinner which was not an Elegant night. I would say what you have in mind would be perfect. I used to tell friends that were cruising for the 1st time for Elegant night think Church for Christmas or Easter as those are the two times people tend to dress up more. ;)

I think it all comes down to if you like dressing up. Many people will be dressed down, so you will not feel out of place if you dress down, but many people will also be dressed to the nines and if you thought you might have wanted to dress up, you will certainly wish you had once you see that many other people have.

Basically, the fact that you have seriously pondered this question, makes me think you will be dissapointed if you do not dress up once you see that other people have.

I always wear a tux or dinner jacket and my wife wears a gown on "Cruise Elegant" night. We stand out a little more on Carnival, but we don't care.

We love to get dressed and I love the looks from all the ladies ;)

I also like watching some of the other men get the elbow from their wives when they see us!

In the end, dress for yourself, not me.

I think it is refreshingly charming that young girls would like to get all 'gussied up'. You did say it was a Christmas cruise after all. Our family always gets out their best duds for Christmas. And on a cruise ship. What better backdrop for fancy clothes?

I wear a suit and tie, with cufflinks, but lately have been wearing vest, and pants from suit with tie with french cuff shirt and cufflinks. I think you'll find more people than not dressed up on formal/elegant night, especially if you go down (or up) to the areas where the photographers are. The lines are pretty long for that special picture. I only do one formal night, but part of the excitement is the going to the photo shop and looking at the other pictures when I'm picking up the ones I took.