teenage girl disappointed in no formal nights

lakelodge

I don't think they said they were required.

It's always nice to see people get dressed up and years ago if you weren't dressed up at dinner you were the odd man out.....things have changed for sure.

Our last cruise people dressed to the 9's on elegant night ....it was nice to see.

The point is, if something is called formal, tuxes are required. My point is, there has NEVER been a formal night on Carnival, and elegant better describes the event.

Dress up. We all only live once and making memories -priceless. I've been on many Carnival Cruises and on Elegant Night the clothing runs from formal to eat-at-the-buffet wear. Have a wonderful time and take lots of pictures. Grandpa might even order a small wristlet for the young ladies to make them feel special. (Remind him that older ladies like them too.)

Happy Sails. Let us know how it turns out-with a picture please :)

We just got my son fitted for his first tux (well rented tux) for prom .. and he looked so stunning .. he told me I might have to buy it, because he might want to keep it and wear it everywhere! Lol.

I wish it was more formal, but I realize it's just not for everyone. Like DH ....

*sigh*

I say let the girls get all fancy! :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Edited by christyran1228

I hope she still dresses up,as well as everyone in your group. I wear a tux or my dress uniform and my daughter always wears formal gowns. Much better than the slobs in there baggy $250 jeans with the underwear showing! But hey, they paid so they should be allowed to wear what they want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wear gowns for elegant night and I've never been the only one. I wear nice dresses or cocktail dresses for casual nights. It just doesn't bother me if people aren't dressed at the same level though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are taking our two granddaughters on the Carnival Dream for a Christmas cruise. The older one-- age 16- had been on a cruise when she was 12, and was so in awe of the tuxedo'd men and women wearing formal gowns. NOW we announced our plans and she was SO excited to get to wear her first formal, only to read that Carnival has discontinued "formal night" for a less dressy night, where men are expected to wear long pants and collared shirts, with jacket and tie as an option.

Just how "dressy" do the women get on this night? Do you think a short "cocktail" dress would be appropriate for a 16 year old young lady? Or should I buy her a long prom-type dress?

On "elegant" nights, my dh wears a tuxedo and ds is in a suit. I will wear a cocktail dress or gown. You will see any and all. On our last cruise, we saw a few tuxedos. We enjoy dressing up. I work in a casual environment and my dh wears a uniform to work every day. It's nice to wear nicer clothes and have somewhere to wear them to. lol.

She'll have fun. The girls usually always dress up. It's the men who are lazy generally.

The point is, if something is called formal, tuxes are required. My point is, there has NEVER been a formal night on Carnival, and elegant better describes the event.

Oh ok I see what your saying. I agree elegant night is a better than formal.

She can dress as fancy as she wants, and she won't stand out, at least not in a bad way. If she wants to dress up she should, she will not be alone. That's my wife's favorite night, she wears a dress and I wear my military dress blues. Dress up and have fun.

Teen girls are sometimes very much into the peer thing. Please make sure she understands others her age may not be dressing as formally as she would like to do.

LuLu

~~~

Since she asked about it beforehand, I think she knows what she's doing. I loved to dress up when I was a teenager. I hope she dresses like a princess and has the time of her life.

There were many, many formal gowns on our last cruise.

In fact the first elegant night I wore a cocktail dress and felt horribly underdressed. Wore a long gown the second night (which is generally less dressy) and fit right in!

They never discontinued it. They just changed the name to Elegant.

I disagree... When you take it from the showroom and just make it a photo experience... Take away the live band and dancing... Take away the drinks and hor' dourves...

Before, when you went in the showroom it was all formal. Now your in the same common areas as the people that decide not to dress up...

Its more like a "Get somewhat dressed up and take expensive photos" night.

Just my opinion...

I disagree... When you take it from the showroom and just make it a photo experience... Take away the live band and dancing... Take away the drinks and hor' dourves...

Before, when you went in the showroom it was all formal. Now your in the same common areas as the people that decide not to dress up...

Just my opinion...

That's always existed. Having two seatings, only one is formal while others can be in shorts. It was never a requirement that all had to go to the ballroom. We only went if we wanted to do ballroom dancing, or wanted that photo op with the captain. Otherwise, we'd be strolling the promenade or in another bar, and mixing with non dressed late diners at our early captain party.

That's always existed. Having two seatings, only one is formal while others can be in shorts. It was never a requirement that all had to go to the ballroom. We only went if we wanted to do ballroom dancing, or wanted that photo op with the captain. Otherwise, we'd be strolling the promenade or in another bar, and mixing with non dressed late diners at our early captain party.

Yes the promenade and photos have always been there... but to me anyhow, one of the MAIN parts of "Formal Night" was the formal night gathering in the show lounge.

They completely destroyed that. Now it is only discounted drinks on the Promenade, with obviously an bored to death Captain and Staff, standing around, waiting to leave... lol

Just my opinion...

What showroom are you talking about?

The only bands and dancing with free drinks and food is at the past guest party and it was not elegant night.

On the past few cruises we have taken I have only seen one tuxedo being worn. There could have been more but I did not see any.

Do any ships rent tuxedo’s anymore? There use to be a formal night or nights and Tuxes were not required. I don’t own a tux so I wore a suit.

It is called elegant night now or dress up night if you want.

Just have fun.

What showroom are you talking about?

The only bands and dancing with free drinks and food is at the past guest party and it was not elegant night.

On the past few cruises we have taken I have only seen one tuxedo being worn. There could have been more but I did not see any.

Do any ships rent tuxedo’s anymore? There use to be a formal night or nights and Tuxes were not required. I don’t own a tux so I wore a suit.

It is called elegant night now or dress up night if you want.

Just have fun.

There up until a couple years ago, there used to be a Formal Night Gathering in the main show lounge. It lasted an hour... Had the band playing, dancing on the stage, free drinks and appitizers... Then an introduction of the senior staff before it ended.

For many, was the highlight of the cruise...

There up until a couple years ago, there used to be a Formal Night Gathering in the main show lounge. It lasted an hour... Had the band playing, dancing on the stage, free drinks and appitizers... Then an introduction of the senior staff before it ended.

For many, was the highlight of the cruise...

I remember these...but I have to say they were no where near the highlight of my cruises. While the free drinks were nice, we found them to be quite boring and sometimes didn't even bother to go. To each his own though.