Walkie Talkies on Ships (for advanced travelers))

IgorK

you guys are too right of citizens, you are having fun on a cruise, this would be a nice adventure, you would not interfere with emergency because once you hear some other party on your channel you switch the channel until you find a free one

as per 50W base stations, well, I will still get the 5W ham radios and try them out, if they dont work, i will return them back to amazon lol

nobody will come up to you on the ship to ask you what walkie talkie youre using because they look exactly like regular family talkies

using an amateur transceiver doesnt make you look like a shady james bond with pedophile glasses and fedora immediately suspicious to everyone, youll just have an advanced walkie talkie which nobody will care about

Edited by IgorK

you guys are too right of citizens, you are having fun on a cruise, this would be a nice adventure, you would not interfere with emergency because once you hear some other party on your channel you switch the channel until you find a free one

as per 50W base stations, well, I will still get the 5W ham radios and try them out, if they dont work, i will return them back to amazon lol

nobody will come up to you on the ship to ask you what walkie talkie youre using because they look exactly like regular family talkies

using an amateur transceiver doesnt make you look like a shady james bond with pedophile glasses and fedora immediately suspicious to everyone, youll just have an advanced walkie talkie which nobody will care about

Except for those poor people within hearing range:

"CAN YOU HEAR ME? I CAN BARELY HEAR YOU! MOVE AWAY FROM A WALL. HOW'S THIS? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? WHAT? I DIDN'T GET THAT! SAY IT AGAIN! NO, LOUDER, I STILL CAN'T HEAR YOU! WAIT, LET ME TRY SOMETHING. IS THIS BETTER? WHAT?....."

and on and on and on and on, because you spent so much money on these things you will have to keep trying to get your money's worth out of them, no matter how many people you annoy.

Edited by boogs

you guys are too right of citizens, you are having fun on a cruise, this would be a nice adventure, you would not interfere with emergency because once you hear some other party on your channel you switch the channel until you find a free one and how does your other party on the other end of your HAM radio know what frequency you've changed to? Keep switching, and saying "can you hear me now?"

And HAM operators are jealous of their territory, and may get inquisitive if an unidentified station (you get a station number when you get a license) comes up on their frequency, and may report you.

Ah, the radio version of the rum runner debate.

Edited by chengkp75

No matter how supercalifragilisticexpialidosiously military and wonderful they are, no one wants to carry one around. We barely want to carry our seapass card (and would a walkie talkie fit on a lanyard??).

Thank you for doing the research on this Igor, but as you can see, most people don't want to deal with any form of walkie talkie. For me personally, it's okeydokey with me if I can't be found for a while. :)

Except for those poor people within hearing range:

"CAN YOU HEAR ME? I CAN BARELY HEAR YOU! MOVE AWAY FROM A WALL. HOW'S THIS? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? WHAT? I DIDN'T GET THAT! SAY IT AGAIN! NO, LOUDER, I STILL CAN'T HEAR YOU! WAIT, LET ME TRY SOMETHING. IS THIS BETTER? WHAT?....."

and on and on and on and on, because you spent so much money on these things you will have to keep trying to get your money's worth out of them, no matter how many people you annoy.

$90 is not a lot of money for me, plus 5W UHF will work I am sure of it, I found my schools walkie and took it home, I charged it, and I can pick up signal from my school

my school is 5000 yards / 4.5 kilometers / 2.8 miles from the building where i live, I live in brooklyn so there are tons and tons and tons of buildings in between, on top of that my apartment is facing south and the school is north, now I dont pick up everything and often times i have to push the static button to listen to the air, but i still hear 70% of everything

the radio is Motorola Radius CP200, 5W UHF, encrypted transmissions because they are connected to security, EMS, and utility people with one channel reserved, I can pick up everything, im sure the signal could bounce around 100 yards through a ship

We can speculate all we want, but truth is we don't know the answer until we test it out, and I am willing to do it, and I will do it, and I will get back to you guys with results

Edited by IgorK

No matter how supercalifragilisticexpialidosiously military and wonderful they are, no one wants to carry one around. We barely want to carry our seapass card (and would a walkie talkie fit on a lanyard??).

Thank you for doing the research on this Igor, but as you can see, most people don't want to deal with any form of walkie talkie. For me personally, it's okeydokey with me if I can't be found for a while. :)

well again they are the size of your iphone, a little fatter, light, and you can put it either on lanyard or your shorts or throw it in the purse,its not the stereotypical walkie the size of a brick with a 2 meter antenna lol:D

And HAM operators are jealous of their territory, and may get inquisitive if an unidentified station (you get a station number when you get a license) comes up on their frequency, and may report you.

Ah, the radio version of the rum runner debate.

well good thing i wont have a license so there will be no one to report, as per ham people getting jealous of their territory, who gives a :rolleyes:

...I found my schools walkie and took it home, I charged it, and I can pick up signal from my school

my school is 5000 yards / 4.5 kilometers / 2.8 miles from the building where i live, I live in brooklyn so there are tons and tons and tons of buildings in between, on top of that my apartment is facing south and the school is north....

What school is that - Ebbetts Field Middle School?

I feel like you are not even reading what I am saying, I am recommending professional ham radios, not family 7 channel walkie talkies, of course you can listen to those with a pro ham radio

Well, we feel like you aren't even reading what we are saying. No one here is looking for a super-duper, thin as a credit card, lighter than air, walkie talkie. There is no need for them. You haven't even been on a cruise and you are trying to tell us what we want. It's disrespectful and not necessary.

I hope you enjoy your cruise. Enjoy your walkie talkie. But, if you find that people glare at you and perhaps keep their distance, please don't come back here and report that cruisers are a hostile, unfriendly bunch.

Let go of the technology son. Embrace the freedom of having no one to report to (except maybe the maitre d' at dinnertime :)).

$90 is not a lot of money for me, plus 5W UHF will work I am sure of it, I found my schools walkie and took it home, I charged it, and I can pick up signal from my school

my school is 5000 yards / 4.5 kilometers / 2.8 miles from the building where i live, I live in brooklyn so there are tons and tons and tons of buildings in between, on top of that my apartment is facing south and the school is north, now I dont pick up everything and often times i have to push the static button to listen to the air, but i still hear 70% of everything

the radio is Motorola Radius CP200, 5W UHF, encrypted transmissions because they are connected to security, EMS, and utility people with one channel reserved, I can pick up everything, im sure the signal could bounce around 100 yards through a ship

We can speculate all we want, but truth is we don't know the answer until we test it out, and I am willing to do it, and I will do it, and I will get back to you guys with results

Yeah, you know better than every shipping company in the world for the last several decades as to what will or will not work onboard.

You just lost your radio knowledge credibility with your example of talking to your school. Regardless of whether there are buildings between your place and the school, or which direction you are facing, radio waves emanate in such a way to go around and over obstructions. Now try your radios when each of you are standing in a steel box, with the door closed, inside a second steel box with the door closed. Yes, solids will transmit radio waves, but if you know so much about them, you'll know that each time a radio wave transits through a solid, it loses signal strength. And that the wavelength of the signal also determines how badly the signal attenuates at each barrier.

While I doubt it would happen unless you transmit a lot, what I'm saying is that the licensed operators could report the transmissions to the FCC, and they use triangulation to find unlicensed stations, and the fines can be up to $25k.

And if you bother other guests with your radio chatter, don't expect them to remain silent and not mention it to guest services.

So, go ahead and pack your radios next to your rum runners, and don't forget to break quarantine when you get noro, because, hey, its your vacation and you can do whatever you want, right? You're entitled, you paid for it, right? Everyone else can go screw. Right up until they put you off the ship in some foreign port and you don't have your passport.

I'm done with this guy. Thanks but no thanks, we don't care about your results.

Edited by chengkp75

well again they are the size of your iphone, a little fatter, light, and you can put it either on lanyard or your shorts or throw it in the purse,its not the stereotypical walkie the size of a brick with a 2 meter antenna lol:D

Maybe not the size of a brick but.......

The two models you recommend:

7x6.1x3.9 1.5 lbs.

8.3x6.5x3.7 1.5 lbs.

My cell phone including a hard plastic case:

2.5x4.5x.5

.5 lb.

Yes, I have nothing else to do right now, waiting for a dental appointment.:D

What school is that - Ebbetts Field Middle School?

Apparently, schools in Brooklyn no longer teach proper punctuation, capitalization and sentence structure.

Don't bother. We "advanced travelers" already know the answer. Unlike you who thinks you know the answer without ever having been on a cruise ship. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

well good thing i wont have a license so there will be no one to report, as per ham people getting jealous of their territory, who gives a :rolleyes:

I'm impressed! Not only is he super smart, but he's very articulate as well. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

Doesn't matter.

Finding people on the ship isn't hard and your neighbors don't care to listen as you discover the radios don't work all that well.

Yep! I also do not want to listen in on your cell phone conversation when I'm having dinner or shopping. I have been known to join a conversation when "the look" doesn't work.

If you are really advanced go for the ones the FBI uses and use your quiet most secretive inside voice.

I'm another who feels that "advanced travelers" know they don't need walkie talkies on cruises. From previous discussions on the topic, it is 'newbies' who are concerned/obsessed about keeping in contact with walkie talkies.

write where you'll be on a post in and put it on the mirror.

That's my super-duper-advanced-high-tech method when I'm going to disappear for vast periods of time. (Which almost never happens.)

Even the best walkie-talkie will annoy most people trying to enjoy their cruise .

Choose one that floats in case it accidently ends up overboard.

i wouldnt have a full on convo on it, it would only be used for meetups and accidental split ups

i wouldnt have a full on convo on it, it would only be used for meetups and accidental split ups

andyouwill stillbeannoyingeveryone nearby

comeback andtellus aboutthe lackofofreception

ipredict thatsome willsay nannynannyboo....sti****ur head in....

well anywayyouwilldiscoverthatyouarentthe first totrythesedevicesanddiscover that theydon'tworkverywell but theyareverygood at annoyingpeople

andyouwill stillbeannoyingeveryone nearby

comeback andtellus aboutthe lackofofreception

ipredict thatsome willsay nannynannyboo....sti****ur head in....

well anywayyouwilldiscoverthatyouarentthe first totrythesedevicesanddiscover that theydon'tworkverywell but theyareverygood at annoyingpeople

Looks like you went to the same writing class as the OP! ;)

Looks like you went to the same writing class as the OP! ;)

I remember years ago when I worked in a shop in a state I'll not name.

This was 6000 sq feet. Flat roof. I had worked in this building for six or seven years, along with the owner of the business and several others. They hired a few new people to help with a big job. This was in late July into August. Assume the building had no real cross-ventilation and no air-conditioning and we were building scenery. A new guy, we'll call him Brian, notices that it gets REAL miserable and hot as the day progresses-kinda similar to the Gates Of Hades. For about eight straight days he arrives with a new idea for placing fans so as to make it more tolerable. Eventually, one us regulars gently pointed out that we had worked in the building a lot of years and it wasn't a secret that it got hot and by the way--we weren't idiots and that if he REALLY thought he had an idea that we hadn't tried that he should bring beer before presenting his next idea.

These are just some thoughts that ramble through when I hear such as these or that type of radio will be real good at penetrating five decks over the length of a ship in the vain hopes that the fool on the other end is stupid enough to carry the radio and have it turned on.

But.......my mind wanders sometimes.

Off topic, but this comment got my attention. Care to share what it was for? I ask only because I own a business that does that for my customers.

Well, that was for a Ralph Lauren trade-show booth.

I built a lot of stuff-----Off Broadway, movies, commercials, 'music' videos....

Scenery. Fake stuff that gets thrown out quickly. Actually kinda depressing after a while.