Azamara vs Seabourn?

casperthecat

We just completed 68 days on Seabourn and have taken two crossings on Azamara. The standard verandah stateroom on Seabourn is superior due to an additional 100 square feet. The ships (Sojourn on Seabourn) are the same size, but Seabourn carries 150 fewer passengers, so the public spaces are much larger and better-designed. Lots of space, lots of features. The Seabourn Square is a huge success, unlike anything I have seen on any line among the 9 we have traveled. We felt very crowded on Azamara and could not find a quiet space to sit and read. On the other hand, we found the food in the main dining room on Azamara to be superior to Seabourn, and the specialty restos on Aza to be very good. With Azamara's new all-inclusive drinks, I think that area is comparable. But be aware that the beverage service on Seabourn is virtually perfect. On the whole Azamara is the better buy, IMO.

Unless you are in a suite on Azamara the square footage difference between a regular cabin and one on Seabourn is 149 sq. ft. with balcony or 135 without. Big difference.

As long as the stateroom has a comfortable, nicely-linened bed, satisfactory storage, a place to sit, a desk at which to write, and is well-maintained and stocked, the additional size matters only if one is throwing a party. Some people get hung up on trappings, perceived status, bragging rights ("Well, my stateroom was this big; how big was yours?"), etc., while others base their satisfaction on less-quantifiable criteria.

Better to leave the measuring tape at home and enjoy the many other--and to me, at least, more important--aspects the ship, senior staff, and crew have to offer.

Why assume this is a matter of status, or bragging rights. Why not assume that one can enjoy a roomy shower, separate living area and bed area, a dining table to have dinner in the cabin comfortably, etc. What is the need lately on EVERY thread to denigrate someone's opinions and/or facts? It seems each thread has become filled with blatant "cheerleaders".

Different people enjoy different experiences. It does not mean they are necessarily status conscious. We have traveled many cruise lines and each offers a different level of comfort, value and experience. Each one has been wonderful in it's place.

Edited by 3418ahl

As long as the stateroom has a comfortable, nicely-linened bed, satisfactory storage, a place to sit, a desk at which to write, and is well-maintained and stocked, the additional size matters only if one is throwing a party. Some people get hung up on trappings, perceived status, bragging rights ("Well, my stateroom was this big; how big was yours?"), etc., while others base their satisfaction on less-quantifiable criteria.

Better to leave the measuring tape at home and enjoy the many other--and to me, at least, more important--aspects the ship, senior staff, and crew have to offer.

Sorry Al, I have to disagree with you. I love having the extra room in the suite. We love having the bathtub to soak in after a busy day walking our feet off.

I think most Azamara cruisers are sophisticated enough to know not to ask anyone what kind of cabin they're in OR to brag about being in a suite.

We love Azamara whether we're in an OV, a balcony, or a suite - but the suite is more comfortable, particularly on a long or B2B cruise.

Regarding the ship, it's about the people I share it with, the places we go, the memories we make.

Oh

and

I would never, ever again, not even if paid (depends on the amount maybe), sail inside on an NCL! People lovely, cabin horrendous.

:)

Sorry Al, I have to disagree with you. I love having the extra room in the suite. We love having the bathtub to soak in after a busy day walking our feet off.

I think most Azamara cruisers are sophisticated enough to know not to ask anyone what kind of cabin they're in OR to brag about being in a suite.

We love Azamara whether we're in an OV, a balcony, or a suite - but the suite is more comfortable, particularly on a long or B2B cruise.

Yes, the bathtub is nice--if you can stand erect while taking a shower--but the added space, to me, is not a big deal. Now if you're talking a separate sitting room, that's worth something. But unless there's a way to close one room off from the other, it's just an ordinary stateroom to me.

All the staterooms on Seabourne have heavy drawable drapes to close off the sleeping area from the living area if desired. All the cabins also have a coffee table that raises up to a dining table, which is nice.

marinaro44,

I completely disagree too. I like extra room in my suite. I like a large bathroom with a separate tub and shower. I like a sitting area with a table and couch. I rarely throw parties in my suite but I like the comfort of space.

This has been an interesting discussion.

I don't think anyone has commented on the differences in the respective smoking policies.

In people's opinion, are they a nonissue?

You'll find a lot of discussion of Seabourn's smoking policy on the CC Seabourn threads. Note that a new policy is in the process of being put in place. On our recent 68-day trip on the Seabourn Sojourn, there was a lot of smoke in the Observation Bar, and many passengers experiences smoke coming from neighboring balconies and cabins. There are two very smokey bar/lounge areas on deck. I don't remember any smoke on Azamara, but maybe my brain is fuzzy on this issue.

You'll find a lot of discussion of Seabourn's smoking policy on the CC Seabourn threads. Note that a new policy is in the process of being put in place. On our recent 68-day trip on the Seabourn Sojourn, there was a lot of smoke in the Observation Bar, and many passengers experiences smoke coming from neighboring balconies and cabins. There are two very smokey bar/lounge areas on deck. I don't remember any smoke on Azamara, but maybe my brain is fuzzy on this issue.

Although Seabourn has many itineraries we find attractive, we have decided not to consider Seabourn because of the smoking. The world has changed. I think it's time Seabourn caught up.

Although Seabourn has many itineraries we find attractive, we have decided not to consider Seabourn because of the smoking. The world has changed. I think it's time Seabourn caught up.

You won't find me defending Seabourn on this issue! While I am not an anti-smoking activist, I am very aware of the health issues related to second-hand smoke. It seemed to me that the rights of a handful of smokers on Seabourn trumped the rights of the rest of us.