Paris On Your Own Excursion

Texas Flood

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are going on the Infinity May 12, 2013 British Isles Cruise. We were wondering if anyone has taken the Paris On Your Own Excursion (Celebrity buses you to Paris and back) and you spend the time there exploring on you own.

We were thinking of doing this and taking the river cruise once we get there if the river is close enough to the drop off point. Does anyone know where they drop you off?

Thanks.

We did this excursion quite a few years ago. From what I recall, the pick-up and drop-off point was at the Eiffel tower. They gave us a map on the bus. I think we arrived about 11:30 am and the bus picked us up again around 5pm. Sorry, I can't remember how close we were to the river; however, we covered a whole lot of ground that day by taking a couple of subways.

we did paris on your own with different cruise company. they dropped us off just off place du concord. if eiffel tower is drop off it is also central. there was a transit strike the day we did this so we walked everywhere. much easier with metro.

there are also hop on hop off tours. both a bus and a boat. also the regular river cruises with or without a meal.

as you have limited time suggest you google tours of Paris and id the items that are must sees. you will not have time to go into much. Louvre would take hours. line for going up the Eiffel tower is always long..except for the steps..did that when I was really young. would kill me now.

have fun

If they drop you off near theEiffel tower, you are very close to the river, and there are boat tours that leave from there. The boat tour is a good way to get familiar with the city, but a hop on hop off may even be better.

You should spend some time figuring out what you want to see in the limited time you will be there. Paris is a wonderful city (my favorite) and there is something for everyone.

If you are familiar with big city transportation, Paris has an excellent system of subways and buses.

Dave

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are going on the Infinity May 12, 2013 British Isles Cruise. We were wondering if anyone has taken the Paris On Your Own Excursion (Celebrity buses you to Paris and back) and you spend the time there exploring on you own.

We were thinking of doing this and taking the river cruise once we get there if the river is close enough to the drop off point. Does anyone know where they drop you off?

Thanks.

Let me suggest an alternative. It's very hard (impossible) to see Paris in a day...actually part of a day given you'll be on a bus in both directions (2+ hours each way). Consider that you will be in Normandy where there is so much WWII history...the cemeteries, the beaches, you can stand in a german bunker overlooking the beaches and see what sitting ducks the allied forces were.....and some incredible French sites like Mont St Michel. Why not save Paris for a trip to Paris...and see the area that's close to where you dock which is wonderful.

Edited by ghstudio

Let me suggest an alternative. It's very hard (impossible) to see Paris in a day...actually part of a day given you'll be on a bus in both directions (2+ hours each way). Consider that you will be in Normandy where there is so much WWII history...the cemeteries, the beaches, you can stand in a german bunker overlooking the beaches and see what sitting ducks the allied forces were.....and some incredible French sites like Mont St Michel. Why not save Paris for a trip to Paris...and see the area that's close to where you dock which is wonderful.

I agree. I would not spend all that time on a bus just for a few hours in Paris. A few hours in Paris just isn't enough.

This is an excellent idea! The Normandy area is very interesting.

We have been to Paris 4 times and still haven't seen everything.

If you have never been to Paris, don't miss the opportunity if only for a few hours. I would suggest touring Paris from outdoors so you don't waste time in lines. It's so fun just to wander the streets and see the sights from there.

As others have mentioned, the two most common drip off points are at the Place de la Concorde or near the Eiffel Tower. Although these two places are not very close together (they are even on different banks of the river) they are both relatively close to the Seine and various boat tours.

As to whether going to Paris is worth the approximate 5 hour round trip ride, we would answer this way. DW tells folks that Paris is her favorite city (to visit) in the world, and we have been to an awful lot of cities (and probably around 100 countries). If the only way you can see Paris is to take a tour from Le Havre, then do it! But if you somehow find the time and money to spend a few days (or weeks) in Paris....take advantage of the opportunity. And for our friends who just do not like the French we often say, "We love Paris despite the French!" And to those that complain that the people in Paris are rude, anti American, and blah blah blah we like to repeat something told to us by a French lady in the south of France. She explained that Parisians do not even like the French :)

Hank

As others have mentioned, the two most common drip off points are at the Place de la Concorde or near the Eiffel Tower. Although these two places are not very close together (they are even on different banks of the river) they are both relatively close to the Seine and various boat tours.

As to whether going to Paris is worth the approximate 5 hour round trip ride, we would answer this way. DW tells folks that Paris is her favorite city (to visit) in the world, and we have been to an awful lot of cities (and probably around 100 countries). If the only way you can see Paris is to take a tour from Le Havre, then do it! But if you somehow find the time and money to spend a few days (or weeks) in Paris....take advantage of the opportunity. And for our friends who just do not like the French we often say, "We love Paris despite the French!" And to those that complain that the people in Paris are rude, anti American, and blah blah blah we like to repeat something told to us by a French lady in the south of France. She explained that Parisians do not even like the French :)

Hank

Good post!

Thanks everyone for the awesome information and advise. You have all been so helpful. I can't wait to sail - no matter what we see - I know it will be great!

I will definitely check out and research all of your suggestions. Part of the fun of traveling is the research and planning. I know - that sounds crazy - right?

Thanks everyone for the awesome information and advise. You have all been so helpful. I can't wait to sail - no matter what we see - I know it will be great!

I will definitely check out and research all of your suggestions. Part of the fun of traveling is the research and planning. I know - that sounds crazy - right?

Bev and I love to do the planning. It is fun. It makes for a better trip when you are prepared:)

Bev and I love to do the planning. It is fun. It makes for a better trip when you are prepared:)

We did a great private tour that included mont st Michel and one of the American cemeteries...most don't realize there are more than one..and most tours don't include it...because no one asks. It is impossible to walk into any of them and not have tears in your eyes. Mont st Michel is unique....I've been there twice.

I do agree, if this is going to be your only opportunity to see Paris, then go...but hopefully you will find a way to get there and really see the city rather than just a drive by.

Edited by ghstudio

Our very first time in Paris was through the Celebrity On Your Own Bus from the Century at LeHavre in May 3009. We were dropped off and picked up right next to the Eiffel Tower. DH and I were VERY ambitious. Photos of the Eiffel Tower (no time to wait in line and go up), then quickly to the Metro to Notre Dame. After viewing inside and the surrounding area we walked back to the Louvre admiring the cafes, flower stalls, the Seine, and so many picturesque sites. We took our own 1.5 hr self-tour of the Louvre's top 10 (I found detailed instructions for exactly how to do this using the elevators, etc. online). EXCELLENT tour and then we walked the entire Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triumph. No time to go up it either it but lots of photos. Then angled back to the Eiffel Tower through the lovely park with fabulous views and our waiting bus for return trip. UNFORTUNATELY, some folks from our bus made us wait for them over an extra hour and had we known in advance we would have had time to walk part way up the Eiffel Tower. Celebrity did give us a rebate on some of our tour cost for the extra long, frustrating wait, as we were designated the "pick-up-the-stragglers" bus and just barely made it back before sail-away.

A couple years later we again ported in LeHavre, and this time I organized a private taxi for 6 of us from our roll call. Since we were the organizers I designed our agenda for the day which was absolutely fabulous. No Louvre this time except exterior, but we climbed the outside stairs of Notre Dame to see the bell and the views. Also Mount Martre and much more! Our taxi driver took us EVERYWHERE except up the Eiffel Tower (missed again due to LONG lines!!)

This May we are going and spending 5 nights in Paris and SLOW DOWN to really experience this beautiful city! DEFINITELY seeing the views from the Eiffel Tower this time, plus a Seine cruise, the Orsay Museum and Versailles!!

Edited by lambs2

I would agree with this. Our first time to Paris, we had an apartment for ten days, and even though every day was full, we still did not get to everything we wanted to see. I can't imagine trying to see even one or two sites in the limited time you will have there. I think having just a few hours would kill me ...

Edited by scdreamer

I would agree with this. Our first time to Paris, we had an apartment for ten days, and even though every day was full, we still did not get to everything we wanted to see. I can't imagine trying to see even one or two sites in the limited time you will have there. I think having just a few hours would kill me ...

I totally agree with you. You cannot rush through Paris, you miss the essence of the city and cannot savor being there because you are trying to see as much as you can. This year I will be going to Paris for the 16th time and I have many things left to see. Of course, I must admit I do get sidetracked strolling around the streets and discovering hidden places which are what Paris is all about. Needless to say it is my favorite city in the world..no other even comes close.

IMO is would be much better to plan a separate trip to Paris and go to the Normandy beaches from Le Havre instead. I did this a few years ago and must say it was one of the best, and certainly the most moving of any tour I have ever taken. Save Paris for when you have time to really enjoy it.

We did the do your own tour on Eclipse a couple of years ago. We had fun walking around Paris, but like others have said, there was not enough time to stand in lines. Fortunately, we had 2 stops in France and were able to do the Normandy Beaches and Cemetery which was just amazing. If I had to pick just one, I would pick Normandy as the Paris tour was so much time on the bus getting there. Paris needs much more time than this.

Don't miss the opportunity to see Paris, even if just for a few hours. Walking is definitely the best way to experience Paris & the Underground is great if you need it but the pre-planning is fun & essential. It is impossible to see the city in such a short time. We have been there several times & always find lots to see & do.With limited time available the view from atop the Arc de Triomphe is easy to do & gives a great 360 degree view of Paris whereas the wait to climb the Eiffel Tower can be long & IMO does not give you any better view.One of the greatest cities in the world & you will want to go back.

We have been to Paris several times on our own. It is absolutely one if not the favorite city in our entire travels throughout the years. Next week we are doing the TA that stops in Le Havre and doing the Paris on your own that celebrity offers. Although the time is very limited, we would not miss this opportunity to visit this beautiful city for even a few hours. If you have been before and have done the other excursions from Le Havre as we have, I would use the time to visit a favorite few places again. If you have never had the pleasure of seeing Paris, in IMHO, you are in for a tease but a real treat. It will certainly make you want to return on your own!

Hi,

Another option you might want to consider...and what we did since my wife and our travel friends had never been to Paris before...depending on the length of your pre-cruise stay in London.

Take a day and take the direct high-speed train to Paris in the morning, and late train back the same night. We did this, and had a wonderful (yes, busy and tight schedule) day/evening in Paris. This is one side-trip that I planned in detail...tube, train, Paris metro, pre-reserved Eiffel Tower tiks, guided Segway tour etc. Well worth every busy minute in Paris...but still allowed us time to enjoy the sights and get a brief overview of Paris.

Whatever you decide...enjoy !!

Woody

Edited by rwr235