Boo NCL! No more par for Canadians!

nursemommy7578

Blame the exchange rate, while we were at or close to par everyone took advantage. Now that the (CAD$) is low we have no choice, unless like us you have booked your next cruise well before the change.

For some reason, the option to pre-pay the DCS is still listed as CDN. I'm sure that will change soon.

cheers...the Ump...:D

I'm so glad our group got in on the par after reading about it on here before they cancelled it. Paid for my gratuities already while they are still in Canadian dollars just in case that changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think somebody at NCL made a big mistake.

Money is money. They were basically giving a discount for Canadians. Nothing to do with exchange rate. Just a discount.

Yea for those that jumped on the deal.

There's still a benefit though to booking in CDN. I booked recently and the price in CDN worked out to an exchange rate of about 1.075, which was much better than the daily rate of about 1.10 (plus conversion fee). In my case I wasn't finding great deals for OBC, so it was to my advantage to just book it and not have to worry about the dollar.

The PCC told me I could transfer the booking to a TA at any time until final payment if a good offer comes up, but I'm not sure I could transfer it to U.S. agent. Since CDN agents give little or nothing, I'll likely stay with what I've got.

So unless you have a good offer from a TA, call NCL and see what their CDN price is. Do the math before booking.

Blame the exchange rate, while we were at or close to par everyone took advantage. Now that the (CAD$) is low we have no choice, unless like us you have booked your next cruise well before the change.

For some reason, the option to pre-pay the DCS is still listed as CDN. I'm sure that will change soon.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Question for you or anyone with a CAD booking...

Is the UDP on your booking now affected by the exchange rate? Mine is different in CAD (164USD/176CAD), but my excursions and all other gifts including OBC are still at par. Wondering if it is a glitch or if it is the same for everyone.

Thanks

I think somebody at NCL made a big mistake.

Money is money. They were basically giving a discount for Canadians. Nothing to do with exchange rate. Just a discount.

Yea for those that jumped on the deal.

This is incorrect. It does in fact have everything to do with the exchange rate.

On another thread it was referred to numerous times as a promotion when it fact it was not. The cruise lines, at certain times, determine what their exchange rate will be based on the current rate. (From my understanding this is usually twice a year unless there is some major movements in the dollar.)

Establishing a set exchange rate allows for consistency in the pricing for the given period. How frustrated and perhaps angry would people be if they called up in the morning and received a quote, hang up in order to confer with their travel party, only to call back later and find out the price is up a couple dollars. That could very well be the case if they used a fluctuating exchange rate.

Scrappytraveller has already posted an example of a slight difference. If the Canadian dollar were to return to an at par level, you will have people posting that they are getting ripped off until of course NCL reestablishes the exchange rate. Vice versa if the dollar were to plummet.

When making a booking it never hurts to request a quote in both currencies, especially if there has been any significant movement in the dollar. You can then determine which currency works best for you and book that way.

Rochelle

I just booked yesterday, and found out the same thing. My PCC told me that they have been doing at PAR for 5 years, and just made the change. As Scrappytraveller said, there is still a benefit to doing it, though. The exchange rate is definitely better than the bank's rate, and when you consider the extra fees that Canadian credit cards charge to convert to US dollars, we're saving even more. Makes it easier to justify some specialty dining and fruity tropical beverages onboard! :D

So I booked a cruise for next year and have only put down the deposit so far. I was quoted in CDN dollars - will this still be honoured when I get to final payment or will it be adjusted to the new rate?

You have paid your deposit so the fare quoted is the cost of your cruise.

Rochelle

You have paid your deposit so the fare quoted is the cost of your cruise.

Rochelle

That would be good! I didn't think that they could change what they agreed to in writing. I understand that DSC and other online purchases might be in US rates now (I haven't looked at that yet and won't for a while) - but that isn't the end of the world. Hopefully the rates will improve by next spring (fingers crossed).

The total price of the cruise was what had me concerned. It would have been a dfference of several hundred dollars.

That would be good! I didn't think that they could change what they agreed to in writing. I understand that DSC and other online purchases might be in US rates now (I haven't looked at that yet and won't for a while) - but that isn't the end of the world. Hopefully the rates will improve by next spring (fingers crossed).

The total price of the cruise was what had me concerned. It would have been a dfference of several hundred dollars.

I completely understand. Those differences in exchange rates can quickly make significant changes in the cost of a cruise.

I am not sure about your online purchases though as I have never pre-purchased anything but I believe they should stay in Canadian funds but at whatever rate has been established when you do eventually purchase them. Perhaps someone with experience with that can chime in about it.

Rochelle

I completely understand. Those differences in exchange rates can quickly make significant changes in the cost of a cruise.

I am not sure about your online purchases though as I have never pre-purchased anything but I believe they should stay in Canadian funds but at whatever rate has been established when you do eventually purchase them. Perhaps someone with experience with that can chime in about it.

Rochelle

Thanks. The only reason I had looked at the online purchasing was for the benefit of buying in CDN funds rather than waiting to get on the ship and purchasing in US funds. Purely economic reasons! I will check that out closer to the cruise - it will be interesting to see if they honour all of my pre-purchasing at the at par rate.

I live in the USA; can someone tell me what 'at par' means? Not really clear here. Thank you kindly. :)

1 USD = 1 Canada Dollar

even exchange rate, but now they are having to pay more because the Canada dollar has lost its value against the U.S. dollar.