Is the Dawn being replaced in Boston?

wildescapade

I don't think it is too far, but it would be mostly sea days and maybe 2 ports. I would love to see a 10 or 11 day from Boston to the Caribbean.

I would also love to see something with lots of sea days to relax, going from Boston to the Caribbean-I think it would be another cash cow for NCL!

I haven't seen (heard?) the advertising campaign you mention, but I suppose you could call the Dawn's repositioning cruises from/to Boston a Caribbean cruise. I agree, though, it's misleading. The reason I'd pay top $$ is for the convenience of both embarking and disembarking in Boston.

The TV marketing campaign they were doing was during the local news cycles in Boston. Specific channels the 30 second spot was airing on was WCVB and WBZ. The spot featured their new jingle about the Caribbean which they launched with Norwegian Getaway. The song says Caribbean repeatedly and so did the words on the screen. At the tail end of the 30 second spot it said sail from NYC or Boston and listed the ships. It didn’t say where the ships were going and given the entire content of the commercials saying Caribbean, one could believe you’d go to the Caribbean from these locations.

It is a stretch to say their ships go to the Caribbean only twice per year and for the repositioning cruises. I contacted NCL after a person at a party I attended mentioned to me it was awesome that NCL was starting to sail to the Caribbean and wanted to know more about the itineraries. The person figured I’d know about the itineraries. If this person thought that then how many others would think the same thing?

Since I’ve contacted them the ads have not appeared again. :cool:

Is it too far? The Gem can make it to San Juan from NYC in 2.5 days. I always assumed that the cruise lines liked sea days: thousands of captives to tempt with overpriced baubles and gewgaws and "art."

While cruise lines do like sea days for the captive audience to spend money, the fuel economy for the ship would make such an itinerary un-doable. They’d have to gamble on the fact that people WOULD spend money on the ship and buy things when the ship was at sea to off-set the higher fuel prices for gunning it down to the Caribbean. They’d also have to go through the whale mating area off Nantucket which requires them to go slow.

Too bad they couldn’t cut through the Cape Cod Canal to get south and avoid the area. Not to mention, could you see a ship going through the Cape Cod Canal like that?

LOL at your reference to the knock off art of Park West. :D

Just found the press release from NCL. They’re contracted to do the Boston to Bermuda run through 2018. It’s up to NCL to decide if they want to use the run or not but no other line can offer the same Boston to Bermuda run if they don’t through that time period.

Reference: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_110707

I don't think it is too far, but it would be mostly sea days and maybe 2 ports. I would love to see a 10 or 11 day from Boston to the Caribbean.

I'd definitely be onboard!!!!!! Turks & Caicos, Key West ??

Edited by fridaythe13th

We're considering this cruise this summer, only because we can't wait til Christmas for our next cruise, and we can drive to Boston from Canada. Can someone tell me, what kind of condition is the Dawn in? I see from the website it's a smaller (ish) ship (we're used to the 3000+ passengers on Princess). Has it been updated/put in drydock anytime recently? I hate the older Princess ships...

[quote name='MAMATAMA']I hope that they do not leave boston. It is so easy to get to and park and it saves on air fare……

I would love a two week cruise….[/QUOTE]

Could always do a back to back!

Speaking of parking...is there lots of parking at the pier? How much would it cost for the week?

[quote name='Weluv2cruise2007']Could always do a back to back!

Speaking of parking...is there lots of parking at the pier? How much would it cost for the week?[/QUOTE]
Plenty of parking. [url]http://www.massport.com/port-of-boston/cruiseport-boston/parking-amp-passenger-drop-off/[/url]

Regarding filling the Breakaway on the NYC to Bermuda run, it seems as if they've even [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42572631&postcount=1"]eliminated single supplements[/URL] on some cruises. I don't recall NCL doing this often (ever?) during the past five years.

Boston's probably a safe port for NCL?

[quote name='CruisinMaterial']...we'll see whether there's any truth to NCL leaving Boston. Based on the current condition of the cruise pier in Boston I know we're not going to receive a Breakaway ship. The current marketing trend has been for their newer ships which it seems based on (NYC Breakaway) pricing as you've mentioned... are having a hard time filling.[/QUOTE]