Back from carnival splendor and it was awful

ColdinNH99

OP was active on the CC Roll Call for the sailing and had a long checklist, including a First Aid Kit & Sea Sick Meds, but no basic OTC's ??

Nursemommy & others were on the Roll Call, following their disembarkation - posted no report of unusual pattern (or widespread ??) of illness on the ship, and nothing alarming about the sailing - sounded like the rest of them had a great time (same as us last September on the Splendor - as I'm watching her for rock-bottom last minute/sale prices for a future sailing ...)

Let's not pounce on her for being sick - working in health care do not generate immunity from illness ;) and try to be civilized about it.

It is, however, unrealistic nor standard practices for cruiselines to issue future cruise credits for illness of unknown origin. Sorry. But, I would still encourage OP to contact CCL about their guidelines & practices for supervising and managing soiled dishes & proper handling of used glasses & mugs, etc. to avoid contaminations, etc. If there is anyone else from that cruise with facts to share or writing up a Review, let's look at that as I'm sure this post should catch their attention sooner or later - in fairness & not rush to judgement, yet.

Edited by mking8288

I'm blaming the ship because I'm a nurse by trade and I haven't even had a common cold for at least ten years, I don't take medications at all, i don't get head aches etc I have not even taken a aspirin in over twenty one years? I only drink water, I exercise daily, I eat healthy, I take all precautions possible so I don't get sick in my daily life.

No one at home was sick or at work

But yes I saw other passengers That were sick on the ship and people I was talking to on cruise critic before and during my cruise.

Said that they also got sick on the cruise.

I'm not one to blame but after seeing what that staff member did and how I felt while being on this cruise I do feel they are to blame.

I don't care if you don't feel the same that is your believe and I respect that.

I pray you never get sick on a carnival Cruise ship they were heartless. It wasn't fun at all and I'm still sick eight days later.

Just be cautious that's all

No one cAres if your sick on a cruise and there's no one to take responsibility for any wrong doing just remember that

Wow! As a nurse, you should definitely know that you can get a common cold from anyone, anywhere. Take all the precautions you want, it doesn't matter. It's norovirus they're trying to protect you against, not a cold. You could have gotten a cold from anyone you came in to contact with on the way to the port. They can't project an entire ship from getting a cold. And if you were sick so soon after boarding, chances are you caught it prior to boarding.

As a nurse, I would think that you would know about the incubation period of a cold or flu, and by the time you start showing even the slightest symptoms, the virus has already been in your system for at least a few days.

As a nurse, you should know that this is one of the worst flu seasons we've had in years and years, so that you caught it is no surprise. It is also lasting a long time, so that you still have it 8 days later is also no surprise.

Yes, as a nurse you should know all this. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Fitzget

If you are a nurse....you should know that the more exposure you have "to germs"....the better your immunity. That's why health care professionals don't get sick all the time. Nor do nursery school teachers. Because they are surrounded by germs...on a daily basis.

BTW...do you think that drinking from a "used glass" will automatically make you sick? I'd think that the person who used it previously would have had to be sick.

I want to know, if OP was so sick, why she was at the spa at all. I guess if i was sick on the cruise i would have kept myself mainly at my room to keep everyone else from coming in contact from my germs. It seems that a lot of people would have been exposed to germs from her use of the facilities. Just a thought......

OP so you are saying you "caught a cold" on the Splendor. You as a nurse should know if you "catch a cold" it takes 3 to 4 days to show signs. So where were you before you left for your cruise? IMO you infected other passengers.

I am sorry but the CDC does not respond to people with colds. I believe thy have more important issues to handle.

Edited by deborahjo

I want to know, if OP was so sick, why she was at the spa at all. I guess if i was sick on the cruise i would have kept myself mainly at my room to keep everyone else from coming in contact from my germs. It seems that a lot of people would have been exposed to germs from her use of the facilities. Just a thought......

Your thought is right.......

I'm still stuck on a few comments regarding those "dirty mugs/glasses. Wouldn't the staff pick up the bug handling them? What about her cabin mate? Shouldn't he/she have gotten sick too? Her immunity crashed for some reason.

Other than saying she has not had a cold in years, did she ever quote she had contracted one?

I am sorry the OP was sick on her cruise, certainly not something any of us want to happen however I do not think the dirty glasses were to blame (she mentioned in one post that they gave her bottled water so why drink out of the glasses anyway)? I am curious though if she hasn't had a cold in "over twenty year or in at least ten years", which is it? I do hope she returns to answer some of the questions asked.

Edited by ShellLoves2cruise

I was on this cruise, and I'm sorry you were feeling poorly - when I saw the header I thought maybe you were seasick!

I was healthy the whole time and I'm still feeling pretty good, but I didn't use the spa and I didn't spend much time in the big public areas - we made good use of our balcony.

Interesting how the OP was well enough to write a trash review as soon as she got home. You'd think she would have gone straight to the ER!

BTW, our daughter and son-in-law were on this same sailing and had a great time all-around, with no complaints whatsoever.

There is nothing more miserable than cruising with a bad cold. on my 2008 cruise I woke up the morning of departure with a scratchy throat, but wrote it off to allergies. By the time we boarded I had the sneezes, sore throat, runny nose. By day 3 I was trying to expel my lungs one at a time while coughing! Turns out I had bronchitis and was I ever miserable... but I also stayed in my cabin as much as possible til the last day when I was feeling better, to avoid infecting everyone around me!

I don't wish that on anyone, and the OP has my sympathies... BUT I doubt she caught the cold on the ship. And I'm also surprised that she left the dirty glass issue alone... had it been me to witness that, I'd have been on the phone to have the hotel manager in the spa so fast their head would spin- not just show up after the fact to complain here and comment that the CDC needs to get involved :rolleyes:

I'm blaming the ship because I'm a nurse by trade and I haven't even had a common cold for at least ten years, I don't take medications at all, i don't get head aches etc I have not even taken a aspirin in over twenty one years? I only drink water, I exercise daily, I eat healthy, I take all precautions possible so I don't get sick in my daily life.

No one at home was sick or at work

But yes I saw other passengers That were sick on the ship and people I was talking to on cruise critic before and during my cruise.

Said that they also got sick on the cruise.

I'm not one to blame but after seeing what that staff member did and how I felt while being on this cruise I do feel they are to blame.

I don't care if you don't feel the same that is your believe and I respect that.

I pray you never get sick on a carnival Cruise ship they were heartless. It wasn't fun at all and I'm still sick eight days later.

Just be cautious that's all

No one cAres if your sick on a cruise and there's no one to take responsibility for any wrong doing just remember that

Based on your comments and statement that nursing is your "trade" i'm assuming that you are an LPN and not an RN. I am a nurse practitioner and am appaled that your nursing school (I also teach at the BSN level) did not teach you about viruses, bacterias, as well as communicable diseases. If you are practicing as a nurse you are in contact with patients with possible contagions and leave yourself at a higher risk for infections. Please do the profession of nursing a favor and read what you write prior to pushing the send button.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

It scares me that I took so many precautions and I still got sick, and that so many other passengers were also sick and the ship doesn't have to report it. No one will ever now about what happen to me and others .

Also upsetting that they only thing they did was offer a few bottles of water and a sorry.

I took ten days off from work unpaid , paid for hotel before and after, paid for transportation from nh to ny, paid for a spa cabin $1400 and all I get is I am sorry or staff made you sick.

I would at least like to know that the cdc is doing something about this health risk on these ships.

No credit for a future cruise or a free trip on another ship nothing!

I caught a nasty cold on a Carnival cruise and I was sick for a month, it was the worst ever. Like you, I took precautions but that wasn't enough I guess. I didn't demand a free cruise, or anything from Carnival. You would have to prove that you got sick from the dirty glasses which is a hard thing to do. One can get sick just about any where - the measles are going around here and it's because one person did not know they had it and boarded buses and rapid transit exposing thousands to it. Get in line and take your chances.

I am sorry you had a rotten time. I have been sick on vacation and it was miserable. But I do agree with others, the justation periord for a cold is more than 2 days. My guess is you brought it with you.:(

I sure DON'T excuse them for putting used and dirty glasses in where the clean ones were, that's just gross!!!

HOWEVER, being a nurse you should know better, I don't understand why you thought it acceptable to go into public places and spread your germs, while you were ill?:confused:

Now someone else is coming home from their trip and has your cold.

My family and I just got off the Splendor this morning and we're still missing her. The sea was pretty rough the first two days of the cruise and the last two days because of some storms going through. While rough seas do not cause an URI, it can cause sea sickness. Fortunately for me and my family the rough weather did not affect us. We had a great time on the Splendor and would sail on her again despite a problem with the FTTF a which Carnival took care of immediately. We witnessed the staff working very hard and cleaning every day. We did not see any thing that indicated they were being careless. We enjoyed our cabin steward, Jocelyn, and our dining room waiter, Emiliano. Even though we had anytime dining, we asked for Emiliano each night and were placed in his section every time. I can't say enough good about the Splendor and Carnival. They are our cruise company of choice!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If there were so many other passengers sick on this cruise, how come this person is the only one to complain? I was on the Splendor in November and i'm going again next week and i follow these boards all the time and any time there is an illness on a ship there is certainly more than 1 person posting about it

Unfortunately you can get sick just about anywhere. Now putting dirty clean glasses is absolutely unacceptable but because you got sick two days into the cruise, it could mean you caught the bug before you went on the ship.

I've been on Splendor twice. I've been on over 9 other cruises. Two days into my Med cruise on sunshine I had a terrible cold and sore throat. I don't blame the cruiseline. I likely got sick from someone on the airplane I flew 8 hours in recycled air with.

I know if I 'm getting the cold on the Splendor its because of either :

1. finally getting fresh air or different type of air in my lungs that is not NYC air pollution(when you had nothing but smog / bad air most of your life without going to sea beach in years - that one day out in sea is going to hurt hard, just saying...:()

• I have Co-workers right that don't know how to stay away from the office when they are suffering from the flu (they have laptops to take to home from work but don't want to) who got 2 other people sick around their work area. I trying to avoid them so I don't get sick but for so reason they like coming to my desk. Bastards.....:mad:

Cold and Flu takes about 2-5 days (if it takes less than a day, than that means the person has a very compromise immune system which means they can't prevent it no matter what) before finally showing up. You're a Nurse, that means one of your patients might have cough on you or didn't cover their mouths, or a fellow bus rider was sneezing hard and didn't cover their nose, or the temperature was going from one extreme to another (which is exactly what's happening in NYC right now, hot one day, freezing cold the next, then humid and raining, then high pollen - which is making alot of people to sneeze & cough which sadly some people don't know how to cover their mouths /noses when that happen on the subway or the streets of all places). I think you need to look back and realize where exactly did someone in your life or travel before you got on the boat made you sick. Not defending Carnival or anything but if you got off at the 42nd Street Port Authority bus terminal then you should know that there are alot of sick people around that area; some of which are homeless with tubiculous plus the air is bad and sometimes have a nasty smell to it that is not all the times bus fumes - Are you sure you didn't get a cold from there?

So you don't get sick, don't take aspirin, take all the precautions- well guess what! Newsflash- jet airliners and cruise ships are chock full of germs, viruses, bacteria, etc., things that occur everyday everywhere. As a nurse you should know that. Like a previous poster said what a pile of BS!!:cool: