Dining allocation

asda

Surely everyone books the fare that suits them. We usually book a Select Fare because that is what we want - yes the situation of the cabin does matter to us, yes the dining sitting and table size matters to us - so that is what we choose to do.

If someone chooses a Saver Fare then that's fine, that's their choice - I certainly don't look down on them. However, I do mind when someone says that I am a fool for booking a Select Fare.

When we're on board unless someone says what type of fare they have paid, no-one knows so I'm not sure where all this "looking down" on Saver Fares passengers comes from.

I think English Lady summed it up pretty well. It makes sense that P&O have to try to give the people who choose to book a Select Fare, extra for their money compared to those who choose to book a Saver Fare.

We choose to book the Premium Cabin when we go on a Fly Cruise - that doesn't mean we look down on those who choose to go Economy - it's a choice, neither is right nor wrong. It's what suits the individual cruiser - it's called Choice.

It has been said but maybe worth repeating, when you are on board, nobody knows what fare anyone has paid, unless one decides to enlighten all , by moaning about paying for shuttles ,or not getting the dining option you would have liked.

If you do not moan on board, nobody will know what type of fare anyone paid.

Should add the % of people on a cruise ship that read the forums are probably a very very small % overall.

It has been said but maybe worth repeating, when you are on board, nobody knows what fare anyone has paid, unless one decides to enlighten all , by moaning about paying for shuttles ,or not getting the dining option you would have liked.

If you do not moan on board, nobody will know what type of fare anyone paid.

Should add the % of people on a cruise ship that read the forums are probably a very very small % overall.

Once again, very well put. 100% agree.

Why are a few being so aggressive and offensive? Totally unnecessary.

David

I can only say that P&O have done exactly the right thing. those that book early get the extra perks that go with paying the higher fare. We book early because we want a particular cabin on a particular deck and we must have second sitting. If you want all those things, then book early, if not wait until the end and make a considerable saving, but go without the perks.

I can only say that P&O have done exactly the right thing. those that book early get the extra perks that go with paying the higher fare. We book early because we want a particular cabin on a particular deck and we must have second sitting. If you want all those things, then book early, if not wait until the end and make a considerable saving, but go without the perks.

Here, Here!

I've 'known' Heywood for some time on the Cunard board and, unlike some, her replies are invariably helpful, knowledgeable and polite. As a little bonus, her understanding of the post mentioned is the same as mine.

Mary

Hello Mary!

Thank you for the kind words! We are taking our second P and O later in the year and enjoyed a FO cruise last year (saver fare - so no choices :) )

Sadly, no more transatlantic crossings due to circumstances but life on board a ship is still our first choice.

Apologies to others for deviation.

heywood

Hello Mary!

Thank you for the kind words! We are taking our second P and O later in the year and enjoyed a FO cruise last year (saver fare - so no choices :) )

Sadly, no more transatlantic crossings due to circumstances but life on board a ship is still our first choice.

Apologies to others for deviation.

heywood

Pleasure!

We've done two P&O and one FO (loved FO, loved one P&O, not the other). I remember you posting about your circumstances - hope things are improving.

Mary:)

This is a reply to "Jog On", I have read your posts with interest it is not the "Select Fare" payers who are moaning but those who have selected "Saver Fare" and then discovered that some options are not available to them that are complaining "You pay the fare you take your chance".

Get off your high horse and stop being rude and abusive, pay the fare you want and enjoy your cruise.

Pleasure!

We've done two P&O and one FO (loved FO, loved one P&O, not the other). I remember you posting about your circumstances - hope things are improving.

Mary:)

Everything is fine,, thank goodness. It's just when the insurance quote was expensive than the 'voyage', we thought it best to sail elsewhere :) Yes, we loved FO also and we discovered Lisbon through P and O and FO and are visiting again this year - life isn't that bad :D

This is a reply to "Jog On", I have read your posts with interest it is not the "Select Fare" payers who are moaning but those who have selected "Saver Fare" and then discovered that some options are not available to them that are complaining "You pay the fare you take your chance".

Get off your high horse and stop being rude and abusive, pay the fare you want and enjoy your cruise.

Actually it is Select Fare passengers that are moaning. Saver fare passengers seem pleased that where possible the head waiters will grant their dining preference once on board. This has outraged Select passengers.

Let's be clear here, ANYONE can request a dining change once on board. They are dealt with subject to availability. Obviously if you book a Select fare or an Early Saver fare, you get a preference, a priority before boarding. If there is a full ship, availability on board to request a change is very limited, if available at all.

What Saver passengers are really suggesting is that it would make life easier for everyone to take their preferences, and deal with them last, to save head waiters the hassle to reallocate. They are still dealt with last, just without the queuing. I spoke with the head waiter on board and he agreed. He went as far as to say that they will always try to accommodate ANYONE'S request irrelevant of fare.

Yes Saver passengers pay for transfers and yes they book a category of cabin rather than a specific grade (hence no in-category upgrades are available) and they have no preference/advance choice on dining but once on board everyone is the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually it is Select Fare passengers that are moaning. Saver fare passengers seem pleased that where possible the head waiters will grant their dining preference once on board. This has outraged Select passengers.

Let's be clear here, ANYONE can request a dining change once on board. They are dealt with subject to availability. Obviously if you book a Select fare or an Early Saver fare, you get a preference, a priority before boarding. If there is a full ship, availability on board to request a change is very limited, if available at all.

What Saver passengers are really suggesting is that it would make life easier for everyone to take their preferences, and deal with them last, to save head waiters the hassle to reallocate. They are still dealt with last, just without the queuing. I spoke with the head waiter on board and he agreed. He went as far as to say that they will always try to accommodate ANYONE'S request irrelevant of fare.

Yes Saver passengers pay for transfers and yes they book a category of cabin rather than a specific grade (hence no in-category upgrades are available) and they have no preference/advance choice on dining but once on board everyone is the same.

Well said.

This thread was started by someone who, like me, wanted clarification of how dining allocations for those on Saver fares were operating. This is only necessary because P&O are deliberately uninformative and ambiguous in their t's and c's relating to this and simply say "Dinner seating as allocated on board". How this is done is unclear. It could mean that preferences are taken on board and used to fill available tables. No where does it say that you can't ask the restaurant manager to change the allocation subject to availability.

P&O have confused the matter further by stating on cruise documentation AFTER BOOKING that "In line with the applicable Terms and Conditions, your dining arrangements will be confirmed on board AND CANNOT BE CHANGED" when the "and cannot be changed" is NOT in the t's & c's. I have spoken with P&O and they say the dining arrangements are totally at the discretion of the restaurant manager and requests for changes ARE allowed.

Dining preferences were given on the Getaways fares. How the new system works for Saver fares is important in deciding who to cruise with. I realise P&O are trying to make the Saver fares less attractive in order to encourage more Select fare bookings but I'm afraid it's more likely that people will just pick a different cruise line where they get dining choice on a late fare.

Unfortunately this thread was quickly jumped on by people prepared to pay Select fares accusing those on Saver fares of moaning about not getting more than they paid for. It's sad to see that the thread has degenerated into a slanging match on occasions. Maybe those on Select fares could create their own thread with ideas on how those on Saver fares could be further inconvenienced. How about allocating them cabins in the crew quarters?

Like most on Saver fares, I fully accept the actual t's and c's and don't expect extras. I do want to read feedback on how the dining allocation works in practice in order to make an informed choice on whether or not I want to book a P&O Saver fare or take my business elsewhere.

People who book select fares do so presumably because they want to choose their cabin, dining option etc etc. That's their choice.

People who book saver fares do so because they presumably aren't bothered about where their cabin is or which dining option they have. That's their choice.

Why then is there always a lengthy queue on day 1 looking to change their cabins and dining options? You pay your money and take your chances.

Insulting people for whatever reason is not necessary. People are entitled to their view and should accept others may have different views. What is even more unacceptable is the few who come on and try and goad and wind up people to get a reaction.

David

People who book saver fares do so because they presumably aren't bothered about where their cabin is or which dining option they have. That's their choice.David

Why do you presume that? Just because we are not prepared to pay the extortionate Select fare it doesn't mean we don't have a preference. That preference was always asked for with Getaway pricing but has been removed with the Saver fare in order to placate those paying Select.

Why then is there always a lengthy queue on day 1 looking to change their cabins and dining options? You pay your money and take your chances.David

Obviously because the restaurant manager has no idea of preferences when allocating tables for Savers and consequently many will not get their preferences even if there is plenty of availability to satisfy them. As it's not against the t's and c's for the manager to change the allocation then there will be many people seeking alterations. It's fair enough for those on Saver fares to have lowest priority in getting their preference, but not asking a preference at all is just silly and needlessly adding to the workload of the restaurant manager.

We have changed dining from early to late in the past no problem. Had people on our table you have changed as well. As long as they can accommodate the change they will. If there was a queue they would have been better off waiting to change later.

Why do you presume that? Just because we are not prepared to pay the extortionate Select fare it doesn't mean we don't have a preference. That preference was always asked for with Getaway pricing but has been removed with the Saver fare in order to placate those paying Select.

Obviously because the restaurant manager has no idea of preferences when allocating tables for Savers and consequently many will not get their preferences even if there is plenty of availability to satisfy them. As it's not against the t's and c's for the manager to change the allocation then there will be many people seeking alterations. It's fair enough for those on Saver fares to have lowest priority in getting their preference, but not asking a preference at all is just silly and needlessly adding to the workload of the restaurant manager.

A recent post elsewhere would prove this to be wrong. Apparently those wishing to change were told that when there were too many the time of booking would be the deciding factor. Someone on a saver fare was able to move from first to second very easily because the majority of people wanted to go the other way.

Recently second sitting would appear to be the easiest to get, ie. the least popular.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One point seems to be overlooked in this discussion. Of course select passengers should get a dining preference but when saver fares come on board, how many people book and pay the select fare? I would think that they would be rarer than rocking horse manure.

Why a potential saver booker can't have a choice of whatever is left is beyond my comprehension. This in no way interferes with the select passengers as they already have their bookings sorted. This is how it has always worked. The late booker can then decide whether the arrangement is suitable. Having to wait until you get on board is ludicrous.

I must agree with those who make the point that P & O are just making things unecessarily difficult for saver bookers in an attempt to appease select bookers instead of giving them some meaningful incentive for booking early.

Whilst in theory it should be easy for anyone to change their dining types and times regardless of their booking type, nobody seems to have looked at this from the point of view of P&O and those who work on the ships. Presumably, waiters are allocated their tables and even which restaurant they are due to be working in based on lists compiled before the cruise sets sail. Ditto people working in the galley preparing meals. Wholesale changes of times and restaurants from 3:00 on embarkation day will have a knock on effect on these arrangements which is hardly fair on those who serve us so well. I guess it is easiest for them to have similar numbers on first and second sittings and maybe this is what they aim to achieve when allocating times or freedom dining to saver passengers. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I know that waiters have areas but if they aim for a 50/50 split between first and second sitting in order that waiters are able to serve both sittings and changes to times change the split to 60/40, there will be difficulties. Ditto the galley staff. This is not reasonable. Of course P&O are a service provider but they have to see the bigger picture and run the operations efficiently for the benefit of all rather than just people who want to change their dining arrangements having booked a fare that does not allow a preference to be expressed.