Main dining room dress code: dark jeans and sneakers?

You won't be denied entry.

On my last cruise, my party of 5 was seated at a table with 2 parties of 2 (couples). Since RC had somehow dropped the ball and failed to link our dining reservations, we didn't get this table until the first formal night (2nd night of the cruise). My family and I dressed to the 9's. One of the couples wore what I would call "Sunday Best". The other couple looked as though they had just come from the beach. Sundress for her, button front shirt for him. We had a ball!!! I enjoyed dining with them every night!!!

I think the people who make a big deal out of it are definitely a minority.

This is a solid post. Cruising is about enjoying one's self. I've worn very nice attire and also a smart casual coat w/ tie and my best jeans on formal nights. I've also worned black dress shoes and a very nice leather style walking shoe. If someone frowned on me, well then, that's on them. At age 56, I tend to dress to impress myself and my wife.

For us, it's all about lattidues, not attitudes. ;)

While you will likely be admitted to the MDR, I wouldn't dress this way for dinner. You will be out of place in the formal room (white table cloths, chandaliers . . . and sneakers?), and you will be in a small minority who are "dressed down". I can't imagine feeling comfortable in this situation. Additionally, you say you're going to be hiking during the land-based portion of this trip. If you're prepared only with a couple pairs of jeans, and those are damaged (i.e., you fall and cut the knee of your jeans -- it happened to me just a few weeks ago), you may find yourself wearing "holey" jeans in the MDR.

You have better options:

Someone else suggested renting onboard. That's a good option, and it costs very little.

Another choice is to mail yourself a box of dressy clothes at your last hotel in England /Scotland.

A third option is to purchase a dress or two at the close of the land portion of your trip.

You have better options:

Someone else suggested renting onboard. That's a good option, and it costs very little.

Another choice is to mail yourself a box of dressy clothes at your last hotel in England /Scotland.

A third option is to purchase a dress or two at the close of the land portion of your trip.

I assume you meant to include an offer to cover those expenses but just hit submit before you typed it out. Spending over $100 to rent a tuxedo to dress for dinner is not "little cost" in terms of value for dollar in my book.

Remember, formal nights on a cruise are adult costume parties. They celebrate and commemorate no special milestone event amongst a group of strangers and participation is not compulsory. It is not a state dinner, it is not a wedding, it is not a funeral, it is not dining with 1500 lifelong colleagues, coworkers, family members, and acquaintances. It is cruise line theater, it will be just as special the week after as it was the week before. It is to generate photo sales, if that's your thing.

Your cruise fare has paid for table service banquet style meals in the MDR and as long as you meet the minimum requirements for entrance you will be permitted entrance every evening and find that many others choose to dress as they wish as well.

Do not allow anyone to tell you to spend more money for clothing you do not wish to rent, buy, carry (luggage costs) or otherwise wear. Nor do you need to allow anyone to tell you to either go eat at the buffet or pay more for another venue; those are YOUR options and decisions, not someone elses. If they insist that you do what they like, they can pay for you to do it as far as I am concerned.

You will read these sort of opinions on web forums only. On board the ship no one will dare utter a word to you. Enjoy your cruise, order two appetizers!

It is totally fine. We have gone on a few cruises and quite honestly my family is tired of lugging around the suits, cocktail dresses, etc. By the 2nd formal night we are just not in the mood anymore. I hurt my foot and wore a black sundress and sparkly flip flops into the 2nd formal night because I physically could not wear my 5" heels that I brought.

I was all freaked out and prepared to explain myself to others as to why I wasn't very dressed up. Nobody asked. I wasn't out of place at all. I ate my frozen lobster and moved on with my life. :D

Debbie

I assume you meant to include an offer to cover those expenses but just hit submit before you typed it out. Spending over $100 to rent a tuxedo to dress for dinner is not "little cost" in terms of value for dollar in my book.

Remember, formal nights on a cruise are adult costume parties. They celebrate and commemorate no special milestone event amongst a group of strangers and participation is not compulsory. It is not a state dinner, it is not a wedding, it is not a funeral, it is not dining with 1500 lifelong colleagues, coworkers, family members, and acquaintances. It is cruise line theater, it will be just as special the week after as it was the week before. It is to generate photo sales, if that's your thing.

Your cruise fare has paid for table service banquet style meals in the MDR and as long as you meet the minimum requirements for entrance you will be permitted entrance every evening and find that many others choose to dress as they wish as well.

Do not allow anyone to tell you to spend more money for clothing you do not wish to rent, buy, carry (luggage costs) or otherwise wear. Nor do you need to allow anyone to tell you to either go eat at the buffet or pay more for another venue; those are YOUR options and decisions, not someone elses. If they insist that you do what they like, they can pay for you to do it as far as I am concerned.

You will read these sort of opinions on web forums only. On board the ship no one will dare utter a word to you. Enjoy your cruise, order two appetizers!

I seriously could not have said this better myself. This is absolutely hands down the best way to put this.

Debbie

While you will likely be admitted to the MDR, I wouldn't dress this way for dinner. You will be out of place in the formal room (white table cloths, chandaliers . . . and sneakers?), and you will be in a small minority who are "dressed down". I can't imagine feeling comfortable in this situation. Additionally, you say you're going to be hiking during the land-based portion of this trip. If you're prepared only with a couple pairs of jeans, and those are damaged (i.e., you fall and cut the knee of your jeans -- it happened to me just a few weeks ago), you may find yourself wearing "holey" jeans in the MDR.

You have better options:

OP... out of all the posts in this thread... this is pretty much the only one that I would WHOLLY and COMPLETELY disregard.

Well... and maybe the one comment that all Europeans will be dressed in full formal gear and all North Americans (nice touch adding the Canuckistani folks and the Mexicans in!) will look like heathens.

OP, you will be fine. You won't even flinch.

You have better options:

Well it's either the Latitude or the Attitude.

May I suggest that upon arriving on formal night, that you order a Grand Marnier in the form a small crystal glass. ;)

Last year on a RC cruise I packed my Tux. Boy was I out of place!! Think I might have been the only one in the dining room wearing a Tux. Leaving on the Allure this Sunday, and I will NOT be taking a Tux this time. (However, I will take jacket and tie for formal night)

Very well said!

DH and me are headed on the Independence of the Seas to the Caribbean and Southampton.

After reaching England, DH and I will be backpacking and doing walking trails in Scotland. Everything we will carry on the cruise and Scotland will be in large backpacks. Therefore, we've decided to eliminate formal clothes, dress shoes, etc.

The most formal of clothes we'll have are oxfords, dark-blue jeans, and walking shoes. With this, will we be allowed into the MDR? On the formal nights? On the non-formal nights? I know we can do the WindJammer buffett everyday instead of MDR, but we have dietary restrictions that seriously limits our options in the WindJammer. After all, this is a 13-night cruise and we can't survive with limitations on the WindJammer.

Guidance Please?

Thanks!!

-Nina

You can wear jeans; HOWEVER, you WILL get the "stink eye" from some folks and probably their opinion on this thread too :D

Even though people overlook it, I always post this on these threads from my review of Freedom this past October.

Dinner Dress Suggestion in the MDR per the Cruise Compass:

Day 1 Casual (Whatever you wore aboard)

Day 2 – Formal (Monday)

Day 3 – Smart Casual

Day 4 – Tropical Casual

Day 5 – Formal (Thursday)

Day 6 – Casual

Day 7 - Casual

We saw it all in the MDR. We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

Formal Nights:

There are two formal nights on this cruise on Monday & Thursday and the style of dress on these nights were men in some Tuxes, suits, shirt and ties, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open shirt collar. Women wore gowns, evening dresses

And………………………………….(Hold onto your seat)……………………..

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR. I will not give my views as to what we think as that is not the purpose of my review.

Wow as I am currently into booking a cruise on Oasis class, I thought to start reading the RCI board.

As I am a Celebrity cruiser, I know of several "formal night dress code" threads over there.

So I got myself some popcorn when I read this topic and started to read... and was VERY surprised :eek:

Sneakers, jeans and Shirt are okay for formal nights in the MDR on RCI? Wow, I didn't expect that.

Is it really that different from the X to RCI concerning formal nights?

I read lots of threads concerning X vs RCI but never recognized that the biggest difference are formal nights. :D

I suspect a person that can afford a European vacation coupled with a 13-day cruise can afford the charge. Note that cost was not their driving factor in the original post -- you're adding your own reasoning rather than listening to their concerns.

OP... out of all the posts in this thread... this is pretty much the only one that I would WHOLLY and COMPLETELY disregard . . .

OP, you will be fine. You won't even flinch.

Feel free to disregard, if you wish, but the OP should hear a variety of opinions from a variety of cruisers. In my experience, these boards protest against dressing up for dinner considerably more often than the general cruising population.

I am 100% certain that I personally would feel very uncomfortable going to a formal dinner in sneakers.

Well it's either the Latitude or the Attitude.

May I suggest that upon arriving on formal night, that you order a Grand Marnier in the form a small crystal glass. ;)

I'm not a big fan of Grand Mariner, regardless of the glassware involved.

^^^THIS! LIKE button please! :D

Apparently the police feel the need to ignore OP and tell them what they should or should not do!:mad:

To OP: How many pairs of jeans can you pack in those backpacks? Have a wonderful vacation!!!:p;)

I suspect a person that can afford a European vacation coupled with a 13-day cruise can afford the charge. Note that cost was not their driving factor in the original post -- you're adding your own reasoning rather than listening to their concerns.

Their driving factor, much like your opinion, is largely irrelevant here. They asked if what they wanted to wear is permitted, and as a matter of fact, it is. Let us supply them with the facts and let them make their own decisions. I don't particularly care why they don't want to wear formal wear and it has no bearing on my cruise enjoyment.

Double LIKE!

You have better options:

I think you summed up the biggest problem, You would feel uncomfortable if it was you. Just because you would feel uncomfortable, does not mean other would feel uncomfortable dressed like the OP asked. So you telling him he should not go to the MDR is your phobia of feeling awkward, maybe it's not his. He might feel perfectly fine walking in the MDR, even on formal night. I notice that you focus on the chandeliers and white table cloths. Those don't make a dining experience for some people. Some people are more concerned about the food and the company they are with. It is dinner on royal caribbean, not the queen mary.

can you not at least wear khaki pants while climbing and use them for dinner? i dont like the idea of people dressing poorly to dinner imo . it wouldnt bother me , but i certainly would not do it. it isnt hard to bring one dress pants and a few dress shirts and tie and jacket.

Edited by Harooni

OP: There have been some very good posts in this thread please be comfortable, no need to over load your backpack with formal wear.

Others: I don't care what you are wearing - the only thing I just ask is that you take your hat off at the table.

Thank you.

can you not at least wear khaki pants while climbing and use them for dinner? i dont like the idea of people dressing poorly to dinner imo . it wouldnt bother me , but i certainly would not do it. it isnt hard to bring one dress pants and a few dress shirts and tie and jacket.

But...but.. but you're clearly bothered.

Wearing a nice pair of jeans, a coat & tie is not dressing poorly.

But...but.. but you're clearly bothered.

Wearing a nice pair of jeans, a coat & tie is not dressing poorly.

Goodtime: This is your opinion. To some people jeans, a coat and tie is dressing poorly.

But I again state. Royal Caribbean is a budget line and they don't care what you wear. Go for it.

Cool retort!! :cool:

Goodtime: This is your opinion. To some people jeans, a coat and tie is dressing poorly.

But I again state. Royal Caribbean is a budget line and they don't care what you wear. Go for it.

Of course it's my opinion! No arguement there.

If some people think this is poorly dressing, then they don't need to be cruising with RCCL. This is why they are relaxing the Formal Nights going forward. The two cruises I've had the pleasure of w/ RCCL, I saw a totsl of 3 men in tuxedos and less than half the men were wearing a tie. (both cruises). It's outdated. Wearing a Tux on a stateside cruise these days? I see it as a fashion pooh myself.

But seriously, I don't need your permission to do so. But you can bet I will wear what I'm comfortable with and I only hope my table mates that aren't happy will have the pleasure of my company before placing judgement. :) If not, I hope they request a different table before they decide to sit down the first night!

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin