I am honestly curious

TC1957

Why do people keep track of who is currently Captian and Cruise Director on the various ships and does it really matter to you?

For the Captain...all I want to know is can he (or she if there is a female Captian) get the ship from point A to point B on time and as smoothly as possible without hitting anything or causeing the ship to sink.

For the Cruise Director...can your people just execute the events on time and minimize the really, really cheesy same-old lines. If they get old I will simply ignore their opening part or find something else to occupy my time.

I can understand the crew and staff wanting to know.

Sorry...I just find it odd.'

Yeah, I don't get it, either. As long as the Captain knows how to sail the ship, I'm good with whoever it is! As far as a CD goes....I don't pay much attention to them...

I remember when I first joined CC, there was a thread about "How to find a CD"...I thought, for the longest time, they were talking about music!!! Never occured to me that anyone would care who the Cruise Director was!!!!

I am mildly curious to know who the captain is because I have an avowed irrational preference for Norwegian captains :D. And after Costa Concordia, a somewhat irrational aversion to Italian captains :eek:.

That said, the captain's identity wouldn't cause me to book or cancel a booking on a particular ship.

Couldn't give a rat's butt about cruise directors.

Having met and made friends with both captains and cruise directors, it can be nice to know if they are going to be on your next sailing.

Conversely, I'm sure there are people who have had bad times that were traced back to either the captain or CD and want to avoid them.

Interesting that the idea matters so much that a thread is started for it. "I don't care about the Captain or CD, but I DO care that other people care."

Edited by alfaeric

Are there people who actually book cruises based on who the Captain and CD are????

I did however enjoy the antics of Richard Spacey last year as CD, but on my Serenade cruise, I actually enjoyed the Activities staff at different functions than I did the CD!

:confused:

Edited by bigque

Are there people who actually book cruises based on who the Captain and CD are????

I did however enjoy the antics of Richard Spacey last year as CD, but on my Serenade cruise, I actually enjoyed the Activities staff at different functions than I did the CD!

Yes.

Not me....frankly I don't care who the Captain is...or who the CD is...or Activities Manager, LA, piano player, chief bottle washer or whatever..

I DO care about who the CD ISN'T as there are 2 who really just totally rub me the wrong way....they'll remain nameless....

Edited by megr1125

Personally I just like to know to get an idea of what to expect when onboard. Does it matter, no, but makes me more informed.

For the captain, they set the tone for the entire ship. Some captains have very loyal staff and you can just tell that the crew loves their captain. The entire "vibe" of the ship changes.

For the CD, I have had some really good ones and some really bad ones. Do they make or break my cruise, absolutely not, but again if I know that a CD that is not as involved or doesn't carry an audience well will be onboard I may plan my day a bit different by skipping the shows and going to something else.

Just my 2 cents on the question.

Why do people keep track of who is currently Captian and Cruise Director on the various ships and does it really matter to you?

If nobody kept track, how would you know if Captain Johnny was going to be on board and possibly ride his motorcycle down the Royal Promenade? :p

I was on a "Hogs on the High Seas" cruise on Mariner years ago and he did that. It was awesome and the bikers loved it.

Yeah, I don't get it, either. As long as the Captain knows how to sail the ship, I'm good with whoever it is! As far as a CD goes....I don't pay much attention to them...

I remember when I first joined CC, there was a thread about "How to find a CD"...I thought, for the longest time, they were talking about music!!! Never occured to me that anyone would care who the Cruise Director was!!!!

I thought cross dressers!

Personally I just like to know to get an idea of what to expect when onboard. Does it matter, no, but makes me more informed.

For the captain, they set the tone for the entire ship. Some captains have very loyal staff and you can just tell that the crew loves their captain. The entire "vibe" of the ship changes.

For the CD, I have had some really good ones and some really bad ones. Do they make or break my cruise, absolutely not, but again if I know that a CD that is not as involved or doesn't carry an audience well will be onboard I may plan my day a bit different by skipping the shows and going to something else.

I concur with every word you said! I was happy to see a certain captain on my last cruise. The crew has a whole different attitude and they are happy with the captains that actually USE the stabilizers in rough seas...as am I.

Edited by Nhsaltshaker

Heck yeah! Some of us have a very flexible schedule and will select our dates to coincide with who will be on board. And when booking back to back cruises, some people make sure they book them to overlap captains in order to cruise with each.

Obviously RCI only hires capable captains so my safety isn't ever on my mind.

But as someone said, the crew and ship atmosphere can have a whole different feel depending on who the captain is for multiple reasons.

There are some cruise directors I really enjoy seeing. Not many. But if I know one I really like is going to be there, I look forward to the cruise even more.

Gina

Never really considered who the captain or cruise director is when booking a cruise. Plus to be honest I have had the same question run through my head when I noticed the actual thread mentioned.

However, having read some of the replies (and due to hopefully now being in a position where I can start cruising on a more regular basis) I may have a sneaky look at the thread to see what it is all about ;)

I'll admit that I've had good times sailing with Marc Walker of Enchantment (formerly on Monarch). He seems to be EVERYWHERE on the ship, and quite chatty/friendly. However, it's doubtful that I'd ever pick an itinerary based on whether he's the CD on it. Doesn't really matter to me...just find me a drink and a lounge chair; I'm good to go. :cool:

I agree with this. Of all our cruises I only remember 2 names because they were out and about and really enjoyed the interaction with cruisers.

We have had very good CD's and wouldn't mind sailing with any of them again. Would not book a cruise based on either one.

Because it makes some people feel important that they cruise so much that they may actually know the name of a captain or cruise director.

True.....Very True

Or better yet they feel they were so memorable and special to the captain, that the Captain will surely remember them.

That being said I actually had a waiter remember us one time and come over to us to say hello.......and we ARE NOT memorable at all, as a matter of fact we are kinda forgetable........so maybe my sarcasm is not really sarcasm at all.

For the Captain...all I want to know is can he (or she if there is a female Captian) get the ship from point A to point B on time and as smoothly as possible without hitting anything or causeing the ship to sink.

For the Cruise Director...can your people just execute the events on time and minimize the really, really cheesy same-old lines. If they get old I will simply ignore their opening part or find something else to occupy my time.

I can understand the crew and staff wanting to know.

Sorry...I just find it odd.'

You have said you are "honestly curious" and you have gotten some honest answers. And you have gotten some snide remarks, also.

Had you asked, I'd have told you that it's not just Captains and CDs. It's also other crew members. Let's face it, no one who works on board is some sort of god. They are all people. And just like on land, some people hit it off better than others. It makes no difference what their occupation may be.

After a whole lot of cruises people become recognizable to each other, passengers, crew, and officers alike. Some enjoy seeing each other and getting reacquainted.

Not only do I follow where certain captains and cruise directors are, I also keep track of where certain waiters, bartenders, security officers, and facilities cleaners are. But that's just me. Why it bothers anyone, I don't know. And yes I've booked certain cruises to see some of my long time friends who just happen to work on a ship.

Let's not even talk about concierges. They almost ARE gods. LOL

I also go to certain restaurants on land in order to see certain owners or servers. It makes no difference what they do to earn their living.

What is it you find odd about wanting to know where someone is working at any given time? How does working on a ship affect that other than they are harder to keep track of?

Gina

Edited by mommabean

If nobody kept track, how would you know if Captain Johnny was going to be on board and possibly ride his motorcycle down the Royal Promenade? :p

I was on a "Hogs on the High Seas" cruise on Mariner years ago and he did that. It was awesome and the bikers loved it.

I shared an elevator with him and his motorcycle. A very nice captain in the RCCL fleet

Unfortunately Mr Spacey isn't doing the CD thing any more. Really loved the dynamic between him and activities director Jamie onboard Freedom last year.

I believe Ken Rush is onboard for my Allure trip, so I will finally get to experience the true "company man" that I've heard all about on these boards.