should RCCL offer a seperate formal dining room?

Wowsers!!

Are you serious?

You are saying that because I want to dress up, I would be looking down on those who chose not to? I would never say that someone is Riff-Raff, due to the fact that they didn't decide to scrub up in formal wear, on formal night.

That is not the case at all!

I am not upper class, I am actually

"Working Class"

Wanting to take full advantage of the chance to dress up, look and feel special, have a lovely meal, and have a photo taken with my family.

It will be nice to have a photo hanging in our home, where we all look lovely!

And here in Australia, with a comment like the one you just wrote, you would be classed as a bogan!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was generalising but please feel free to take my comments in whatever context you feel fit. As it happens I've been working for years to lose the unnecessary sophistication thrust upon me as a child and it finally appears to be paying dividends.

Miopyk

I was generalising but please feel free to take my comments in whatever context you feel fit. As it happens I've been working for years to lose the unnecessary sophistication thrust upon me as a child and it finally appears to be paying dividends.

Miopyk

Congratulations 👏

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not a numbers person but a couple of percentages I saw in a post here, 85%-95% of people want to dress casual on formal nights?

On all the cruises I have been on I would say the majority, probably 60% or more were nicely dressed. Few tuxes and evening gowns, many, many suits and several just collared shirts with a few ties, many pretty dresses long and cocktail or Sunday go to meeting. Very very few were just casual.

The folks here on cruise critic are a small percentage of cruisers and I think there is still alot of first time cruisers out there that want to do the dress up thing on formal night. Yes airlines have kind dictated that for some its not possible but to say most want to dress casual every night I don't agree with. Most on crusie critic might want to :D.

Should dress up be required or suggested? Should there be no dress code? Just like food this is a very subjective topic and I don't think there is a right answer as everyone has their own personal opinion on this. I just don't get why some folks "attack" others that have the opposite opinion.

For us, we like to dress up on formal night as that is part of our cruise experience. But we also drive to the port so luggage weight is not an issue. We do look around at what others are wearing but not to judge, just because we like to see all the pretty dresses and a man in a suit or tux is just handsome. But if you are sitting at my table in jeans and a T-shirt while I am in my nice dress it has no effect on my dining experience or my opinion of you. We will have a nice meal together and hopefully great conversation. And we can coexist and both have the cruise experience we were looking for.

Too bad the passion some folks have for dress codes, booze smugglers, etc can't channel that energy to something more productive.

PS. This isn't directed at the person that posted that percentage...that was only to contrast my experience with the people I have seen dressed up. As a matter of fact this isn't directed to anyone just my general opinion after reading all the other posts. :p

For those of you who call people riffraff (FYI check the dictionary on the spelling), your just a BIGOT (look that word up to)! If you can call people that, your most likely calling people with a different race or ethnicity than yours names also. You certainly fit the term BIGOT.

For those who don't like us not wearing formal wear, we don't care what you think, your a complete stranger and what you think or say doesn't matter to us (but I do have a problem calling people riffraff when in fact most people here on these boards are nice people and certainly do not deserve the name calling on your part). You alone do not have any class and you show it too! I am going to continue going to the MDR and not wearing formal wear, go complain to the cruise line for allowing me to do so, don't complain to me or play your childish games calling people names on these boards. These boards are to help people, give suggestions and opinions and explain our experiences not to use this board to satisfy your liking to be offensive to people. (by the way,we are not being offensive by not wearing formal wear, we dress as if we dining at a 4/5 star restaurant at which is by no means offensive to you...so get over it).

If your thinking I am too blunt here, sorry, but to call people riffraff should not be placed on these boards.

For those who complain that people wear jeans in the MDR, I gather your not aware of what is acceptable in these days to wear even at a 5 star restaurant....it is now totally acceptable to wear dark jeans in these types of restaurants. Over the past several years, the American dining scene has become less and less formal. Once upon a time, high-end dining was synonymous with white tablecloths, waiters in tuxedos, and moe forks than you can count, but today you could find yourself sitting at a counter in jeans at some of the country's most expensive restaurants. Years ago if you were to go to a Broadway show, people would dress up but today people attend these functions in shorts and flip flops...what I am trying to say is that times are different now, so if your raising your nose in the air to a person who does not wear formal wear in the cruise MDR or you will see a person wearing jeans, please take note times have changed within the years.

Edited by lyndamr

I know a touchy subject , that trend is to dress down and those get offended that they have the right not to. Why not have a Formal Main dinning room with an enforced dress code. This way everyone will win.

I like the idea. Those who want a more upscale formal experience can go there and those who want to sit in their shorts and TB shirts can as well. Both win.

I dont know which ships you have been on perhaps carnival but its higher quality then your applebees.

Actually Carnival food is comparable to RCCL and Celebrity. All cruise lines are good at convincing cruisers that the food is high quality, when actually it is banquet quality and probably below most chain restaurants. Just think about their steaks, salads, desserts; would you be willing to pay restaurant prices for them.

I think a lot of current cruisers have cruised for less than 5 years and don't remember or never experienced the truly lavish food and service on cruises, not just Royal Caribbean, but pretty much all the cruises. The food and service were worth dressing up for. Now that the food is average, the service/presentation nothing special, and the dining rooms larger and more chaotic and noisy than ever before it just doesn't feel special enough to dress up. The varnish has worn off on formal night and I now recognize it for what it is; a photo opportunity.

I remember when Lobster night for formal night was NOT just a small tail. I remember flaming desserts. I remember sorbet between courses. I remember silver platters with side dishes served by the waitstaff. Some of the Gala Captains dinners you would be presented with a keepsake menu.

Believe me, I totally understood the intent and purpose of what you said; I can see how others would take it out of context but it came across clearly to me.

It will be interesting to see how The Grande on Quantum works out. I'd be willing to dress for the occasion to experience it...once.

I appreciated reading your post. We have only been cruising for about 2 years and feel like we are late to the party, so to speak. I've read many posts about how the quality of cruising has generally declined, food used to be much better, etc. but specifics weren't given. It's interesting to read actual details about dining before all the cutbacks.

For those of you who call people riffraff (FYI check the dictionary on the spelling), your just a BIGOT (look that word up to)! If you can call people that, your most likely calling people with a different race or ethnicity than yours names also. You certainly fit the term BIGOT.

For those who don't like us not wearing formal wear, we don't care what you think, your a complete stranger and what you think or say doesn't matter to us (but I do have a problem calling people riffraff when in fact most people here on these boards are nice people and certainly do not deserve the name calling on your part). You alone do not have any class and you show it too! I am going to continue going to the MDR and not wearing formal wear, go complain to the cruise line for allowing me to do so, don't complain to me or play your childish games calling people names on these boards. These boards are to help people, give suggestions and opinions and explain our experiences not to use this board to satisfy your liking to be offensive to people. (by the way,we are not being offensive by not wearing formal wear, we dress as if we dining at a 4/5 star restaurant at which is by no means offensive to you...so get over it).

If your thinking I am too blunt here, sorry, but to call people riffraff should not be placed on these boards.

For those who complain that people wear jeans in the MDR, I gather your not aware of what is acceptable in these days to wear even at a 5 star restaurant....it is now totally acceptable to wear dark jeans in these types of restaurants. Over the past several years, the American dining scene has become less and less formal. Once upon a time, high-end dining was synonymous with white tablecloths, waiters in tuxedos, and moe forks than you can count, but today you could find yourself sitting at a counter in jeans at some of the country's most expensive restaurants. Years ago if you were to go to a Broadway show, people would dress up but today people attend these functions in shorts and flip flops...what I am trying to say is that times are different now, so if your raising your nose in the air to a person who does not wear formal wear in the cruise MDR or you will see a person wearing jeans, please take note times have changed within the years.

Perhaps a little harsh but nonetheless I agree with your sentiment.

I for one have no problem with people calling me riffraff, bogan or any other derogatory term they may choose as I'm at a point in my life where I'm perfectly comfortable with myself and pay little regard to their irrelevant insults. It does however amuse me when this subject pops up in respect of certain people who choose to advise others on what to do in order to serve their own desires.

For example, if you don't want to dress formally in the MDR, eat somewhere else. It smacks of snobery to the highest degree and I hope I never have the misfortune to sit with anyone that is so delusional to even think that such a statement could be seen as either normal or acceptable.

There are many examples in the past of segregation being considered normal practice but it seems that other than some peoples view of the what should happen in the MDR many of these have been consigned to history where they belong.

Miopyk

...don't complain to me or play your childish games calling people names on these boards.

You're right about one thing - there's entirely too much name-calling in this thread. That INCLUDES this post.

Is the irony of chiding someone for "childish games" and name-calling while spending a large part of your own post calling others names completely lost on you? :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I am stunned that this thread has continued and devolved into name-calling and hurt feelings all around.

PEOPLE, IT WAS INTENDED TO BE TONGUE-IN-CHEEK!!! The OP was obviously making an ill-spelled attempt to tweak noses by writing like a stereotypical high-class snob (British, from his phrasing).

Right now, he's sitting back somewhere, ROFL at people's utter failure to "get the joke."

This is a non-issue. Bottom line is that less than .000001% of anybody CARES what you wear to eat. If you feel defensive and hostile because you wear very casual clothes to dinner and think everyone is looking down at you, I suggest you either dress up a notch or go see a shrink because you've got self-esteem issues.

(OK, don't kill me. I'm joking! Another example of tweaking your nose. If I just got you all hot and bothered instead of smiling at my absurdity, you didn't get it. :D)

Take a deep breath and lighten up. Your blood pressure will thank you. :)

I am stunned that this thread has continued and devolved into name-calling and hurt feelings all around.

PEOPLE, IT WAS INTENDED TO BE TONGUE-IN-CHEEK!!! The OP was obviously making an ill-spelled attempt to tweak noses by writing like a stereotypical high-class snob (British, from his phrasing).

Right now, he's sitting back somewhere, ROFL at people's utter failure to "get the joke."

This is a non-issue. Bottom line is that less than .000001% of anybody CARES what you wear to eat. If you feel defensive and hostile because you wear very casual clothes to dinner and think everyone is looking down at you, I suggest you either dress up a notch or go see a shrink because you've got self-esteem issues.

(OK, don't kill me. I'm joking! Another example of tweaking your nose. If I just got you all hot and bothered instead of smiling at my absurdity, you didn't get it. :D)

Hmm, looks as though I'm going to have to wait for the next MDR dress code thread to come along now.

Miopyk

I think a lot of current cruisers have cruised for less than 5 years and don't remember or never experienced the truly lavish food and service on cruises, not just Royal Caribbean, but pretty much all the cruises. The food and service were worth dressing up for. Now that the food is average, the service/presentation nothing special, and the dining rooms larger and more chaotic and noisy than ever before it just doesn't feel special enough to dress up. The varnish has worn off on formal night and I now recognize it for what it is; a photo opportunity.

I remember when Lobster night for formal night was NOT just a small tail. I remember flaming desserts. I remember sorbet between courses. I remember silver platters with side dishes served by the waitstaff. Some of the Gala Captains dinners you would be presented with a keepsake menu.

We started cruising on the tale-end of the "glory days," and I am glad I got to experience it. Cruising is still a great vacation--a good value, convenient, fun, but I totally agree that the MDR food/ no longer fits a formal dressing experience. Fine if others want to dress formally, but resort casual shouldn't be looked down upon.

I do think the formal dining room is a good thing for RCI to try. Could be a good solution.

Mr. Howell and others here are not being serious, they are just pulling peoples' chains. Mr. Howell learned his manners on the SS Minnow.

Maybe if we met him we'd rather like the old chum....

Edited by Former Goalie

I'm so over formal nights-- so this sounds like a great idea to me. I don't agree with an extra charge though. Just give them one floor of the dining room nightly to dress up--every night if they wish. Same menu though.

Keep the other 2 floors as 'smart casual' for the full cruise.

Agree!

If you're going to correct people's posts, at least do a better job yourself. People in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.

I love the idea but not the for fee. We don't do any up charge places on the ship. Though we both do enjoy dressing up and do it every night on the ship. Just purchased 3 gowns for our dd's for formal nights.

Which sounds like Grande on Anthem and Quantum might just fill the bill for you. Formal dress but no fee involved. The proof of the pudding will be seen when the dress code is more clearly defined and is strictly enforced.

I must say that we have been cruising for far more than 5 years and those who claim that the dining experience was far more elaborate then(forgetting the safety-related elimination of flaming desserts) may be remembering things much more favorably than they actually were.

On the money!

I will dress up in my formal gear and enjoy my dinner right next to the diner that dresses casually and even snap pictures.

Cruising is about diversity. Right now, I like the idea of dressing up. Cruising veterans may feel a bit "meh" about it. However, I enjoy the company of all, formally dressed or not.

When you pay as much for cruising as many of us do, you should have the freedom to relax.

That being said, I hope none of you consider me to be riff-raff.

;)

jayblue RCCL cruiser

I just don't know what the big deal is, if you don't like to dress formal for one or two nights on a cruise, then just eat somewhere else that night.

You're right, it's not a big deal. I have pre-paid for MDR service and gratuities for those services. Since it's not a big deal I'll eat in the MDR in Jeans, Slacks, or a Suit. It's my choice. You choose for yourself, not for me.

For those who complain that people wear jeans in the MDR, I gather your not aware of what is acceptable in these days to wear even at a 5 star restaurant....it is now totally acceptable to wear dark jeans in these types of restaurants. Over the past several years, the American dining scene has become less and less formal. Once upon a time, high-end dining was synonymous with white tablecloths, waiters in tuxedos, and moe forks than you can count, but today you could find yourself sitting at a counter in jeans at some of the country's most expensive restaurants.

Lyndamr, I do believe we live close to one another; I am in South Florida on the border of Palm Beach and Broward County. As you are well aware, we have an amazing abundance of one-off or locally owned restaurants. Therefore I don't really go "chain" restaurants. If I walked into any of these higher end places in "cruise formal" I would look like the host or wait staff, not like a guest. People simply don't wear suits or formal wear out in South Florida unless there is an occasion that asks for it. Society down here is more relaxed, more comfortable, but still stylish and upscale.

I think maybe when people "put down" jeans they are thinking of Mid-West farmer dungarees and not of fashionable, dark, tailored to fit jeans. There's a big difference but I think whenever the word jeans comes up if you aren't from South Florida, or a major city / trendy area (NYC, Philly, Chicago, LA, etc...) that the thought of the farmer pops up and it just isn't true.

Tailored jeans, slacks, tan chinos, polo shirts, button up linen / silk / tommy bahama style shirts are the norm here. If I am being totally honest, nice golf shorts or khaki shorts are what most men wear year round except for the two weeks it dips below 70°F. Suits are for pallbearers.