should RCCL offer a seperate formal dining room?

I agree 100% with lyndamr! I want to be able to enjoy my vacation that I have paid for my way. My clothes are always clean along with my person. I don't have to get all dressed up to enjoy myself nor do I want to be looked upon as riff raff just because I choose not to dress formal. I don't believe that I have ruined someones dinner just because of my dress. We all need to relax and just enjoy ourselves. There are a lot of terrible things taking place in the world. Let's not have our dress or not to dress to part of that. Happy cruising everyone.

I normally eat dinner in the specialty resturants myself to avoid the riff raff, I do eat at Michelin star restaurants and relay chateaus. But i do think you are being a tad bit unfair comparing it to applebees.

I like the Main Dining Room, and so far I have never had bad table mates, bad food, or bad service.

I do, however, feel insulted by being referred to as "riff raff".

What makes you think that Grande won't have large tables or that you can't join with your newfound friends to dine together there? And if formal dress is not to your liking, you can do the same in the other complimentary restaurants on a Quantum class ship. You may be making assumptions that won't prove true once the ships enter service.

I won't get the chance to build those new friendhips over several nights of dining becsuse I'll be dining with different people every night.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

A couple of years ago I cruised with a friend on her line of choice, Oceania. This line charges a premium and claims a very high staff to pax ratio, as well as outstanding cuisine. Included at no extra cost were four reservations at what I'd say were the equivalent of "specialty" restaurants on RCI. The remaining evenings we could dine in either the MDR or the buffet.

No matter where you dine on any night on an O ship, "country club casual" is always the dress code. There is no formal night nonsense at all - presumably because the clientele has no interest in putting on the dog, no matter where they dine. Although they do expect, and get, excellent cuisine.

A couple of years ago I cruised with a friend on her line of choice, Oceania. This line charges a premium and claims a very high staff to pax ratio, as well as outstanding cuisine. Included at no extra cost were four reservations at what I'd say were the equivalent of "specialty" restaurants on RCI. The remaining evenings we could dine in either the MDR or the buffet.

No matter where you dine on any night on an O ship, "country club casual" is always the dress code. There is no formal night nonsense at all - presumably because the clientele has no interest in putting on the dog, no matter where they dine. Although they do expect, and get, excellent cuisine.

Why must some who do not wish to participate in formal night always have to have some kind of put down.....nonsense, putting on the dog, etc.? If you don't like it, fine. There's just no reason to make disparaging remarks because there are people who, GASP, just like to dress up for various reasons and it's their choice to do so.

I have only had the chance to dress up In a nice gown ONCE in my life.

My wedding day.

I missed my year 10 formal, I didn't have a year 12 formal.

All wedding's I have attended, were cocktail dress. So I am really looking forward to the formal nights on my upcoming cruise.

Am I the only one? Seems that way, with all the negative comments on here, about how much drama it is for them to spend a little time doing their hair.

It takes only a few mins to put on a beautiful gown, to be honest I can't wait for the opportunity to look like a princess. Even if only for a few short hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by MandaNShannon

My wedding day.

All wedding's I have attended, were cocktail dress. So I am really looking forward to the formal nights on my upcoming cruise.

Am I the only one? Seems that way, with all the negative comments on here, about how much drama it is for them to spend a little time doing their hair.

It takes only a few mins to put on a beautiful gown, to be honest I can't wait for the opportunity to look like a princess. Even if only for a few short hours.

i agree, i like to dress up and look sharp. I dont see all the fuss but times have changed ,people prefer comfort I guess. It might be some are a little lazy. (not all though)

My wedding day.

You go girl !! :)

I just don't know what the big deal is, if you don't like to dress formal for one or two nights on a cruise, then just eat somewhere else that night.

For my 10 night cruise, only two nights are formal.

It would make sense to try another dining option for those two nights if you don't want to dress up.

A formal gown really does not have to weigh a lot, no more really then a nice long summer casual dress, the chiffon ones are so light weight, don't wrinkle, and roll up super small, same as a suit, they take up no more space then a pair of pants and a jacket. I'm sure a tie won't tip the scales on the bag weigh in.

I just don't see what all the whining is about. You either want to dress up or you don't.

Seriously it took me not much longer on my wedding day, to do my hair and makeup, then it would for me if I were going out to a nice restaurant.

30-40 mins, and I was ready.

I see all these excuses and that's all they are.

It's easier to say

"I do not want to do formal, because I can't be bothered.

Or

"I do not want to do formal, because it does not appeal to me"

And that's fine, not everyone likes to dress up and look pretty, but just stop with all the drama!

I just don't know what the big deal is, if you don't like to dress formal for one or two nights on a cruise, then just eat somewhere else that night.

For my 10 night cruise, only two nights are formal.

It would make sense to try another dining option for those two nights if you don't want to dress up.

A formal gown really does not have to weigh a lot, no more really then a nice long summer casual dress, the chiffon ones are so light weight, don't wrinkle, and roll up super small, same as a suit, they take up no more space then a pair of pants and a jacket. I'm sure a tie won't tip the scales on the bag weigh in.

I just don't see what all the whining is about. You either want to dress up or you don't.

Seriously it took me not much longer on my wedding day, to do my hair and makeup, then it would for me if I were going out to a nice restaurant.

30-40 mins, and I was ready.

I see all these excuses and that's all they are.

It's easier to say

"I do not want to do formal, because I can't be bothered.

Or

"I do not want to do formal, because it does not appeal to me"

And that's fine, not everyone likes to dress up and look pretty, but just stop with all the drama!

I do believe you nailed it! ;)

I have to say not a large formal dining room but maybe a supper club where they have mandatory formal dress codes. Perhaps the size just like Chops would be sufficient and maybe a charge a fee so the food is more upscale than what you get in the MDR because if your dressing up you deserve better quality food.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I wouldn't mind that at all. I love to dress up. DH might object to wearing a suit and tie each night, but he would if I asked. Such a sweet heart.

I'm was brought up from the old school of dressing. Formal, to me, means tux or white dinner jacket. A small venue, for those who want to dress formal, nice idea, (IMHO). In the MDR, if men are in slacks and shirts, sports jackets or suit and tie, I feel overdressed in a tux.

To each his own. On our last cruise, I brought my tux and dinner jacket for the formal nights. We are booked for Dec. on a 7 nighter, and on formal nights, we will do the Windjammer buffet. I', not even bringing a sports jacket. Sometimes you just want to be casual.

Just my humble opinion!!

I normally eat dinner in the specialty resturants myself to avoid the riff raff, I do eat at Michelin star restaurants and relay chateaus. But i do think you are being a tad bit unfair comparing it to applebees.

Funny....you accuse him of being unfair, after calling people who eat in the MDR "riff raff".

Our recent Oasis cruise was far more casual than formal and we enjoyed it very much. We saw a majority of nicely dressed but certainly not "traditional formal wear" cruisers. Everyone was having a great time. Service was incredible and all diners around us were a joy no matter how they were dressed...clothes really DON'T make the "man".

My 1st cruise was over 20 years ago, but I still consider myself a novice. I'm no snob, but I rather enjoyed the formal nights. I will still dress up and take my pictures and not worry about what everyone else is doing.

jayblue RCCL cruiser

It's good to see the class system we invented and everyone claims no longer exists is alive and well.

To those that want to dress up - feel free to do so and look down upon the riff raff that choose to do otherwise.

To the riff raff, revel in the fact that not only did you enjoy your cruise but by just wearing a pair of jeans you put one in the eye of your self appointed superiors.

Miopyk

Edited by miopyk

It's good to see the class system we invented and everyone claims no longer exists is alive and well.

To those that want to dress up - feel free to do so and look down upon the riff raff that choose to do otherwise.

To the riff raff, revel in the fact that not only did you enjoy your cruise but by just wearing a pair of jeans you put one in the eye of your self appointed superiors.

Miopyk

Wowsers!!

Are you serious?

You are saying that because I want to dress up, I would be looking down on those who chose not to? I would never say that someone is Riff-Raff, due to the fact that they didn't decide to scrub up in formal wear, on formal night.

That is not the case at all!

I am not upper class, I am actually

"Working Class"

Wanting to take full advantage of the chance to dress up, look and feel special, have a lovely meal, and have a photo taken with my family.

It will be nice to have a photo hanging in our home, where we all look lovely!

And here in Australia, with a comment like the one you just wrote, you would be classed as a bogan!!