Any signs of changes on QM2

Jimsgirl

Hi MicCanberra. Just my opinion, but I think the key is to have realistic expectations, and since you've done your research, no doubt you are prepared :) Every voyage is different, as are our individual experiences. Ship happens. My experience is limited to 15 cruises on three different Lines in the past 6 years. And yes, there is one ship that I can't imagine sailing on again for pleasure, but it wasn't a Cunard ship. It's not unusual to be nervous about an ocean voyage, but hopefully you will enjoy your Cunard voyage. If you find a better way to sail - all things considered, please let us know :) Cheers, -Salacia

Well, yes, there are better ways to sail, but you pay a lot more for them.

Hi MicCanberra. Just my opinion, but I think the key is to have realistic expectations, and since you've done your research, no doubt you are prepared :) Every voyage is different, as are our individual experiences. Ship happens. My experience is limited to 15 cruises on three different Lines in the past 6 years. And yes, there is one ship that I can't imagine sailing on again for pleasure, but it wasn't a Cunard ship. It's not unusual to be nervous about an ocean voyage, but hopefully you will enjoy your Cunard voyage. If you find a better way to sail - all things considered, please let us know :) Cheers, -Salacia

Thanks, I have also cruised numerous times, so know what to expect as a general rule. It is Cunards individual policies and intricacies of how they are managed that I do not know., hence the research.:D

My glass was always full on my recent trip. I kept it that way, not by refilling it :p (but my liver is enjoying a detox now I'm home) but staying away from people who enjoyed complaining over trivial matters and things which were uncontrollable, and remembering that whatever was happening I was enjoyed nice food, comfortable living area and I didn't have to work at anything. It was easy to keep full.

I knew the ship from a previous short voyage so it was eyes wide open. And I've been on some very different types of ships in very different places.

People on my cruise on QM2 were cross about Shanghai. Because of fog it was pretty much a difficult day. Cairns was similar because of a cold squall. Somehow the poor weather was QM2's fault.

Edited by Pushka

Surely a cruise is what you make of it yourself, not what others have said. We consider ourselves extremely privileged to have sailed on the QM2 before and have now booked another crossing. We will be taking our DD with us and have told her to make up her own mind on what to expect, not to listen to us (continually extolling the virtues of spending the days going from breakfast, to mid-morning snacks, to lunch, to.... you get the drift:D). We've never experienced any of the things mentioned in this thread, perhaps we've been lucky.

Having said that, can we get back to the OP's original question and not slip slightly off course. Incidentally, can't remember if I saw 'Appassionata' or not, which shows how memorable it was!! If it's still on board, maybe I'd better go and watch the show.

Sir Samuels sizes are plenty large enough. It's a coffee place not a main dining area. Perfectly fine for lunch or quick breakfast.

Yes it is a "coffee place" there is no "breakfast" as most people think of that meal.

You buy your coffee or tea, then you can chose a very small (about 2 inch ) Croissant, or a small muffin. As I said in my original thread, on my last cruise there was NO "jam/jelly " for croissant. Not most people's idea of a "breakfast"

Lunch, again you buy tea or coffee, and can ask for quiche, this too will be very small about 2 inches across, plus a few sprigs of greens, nothing else. again not lunch as most people think of that as a meal.

Strawberry tart , I used to go there for this instead of afternoon tea, it was a good size loaded with strawberries with a glaze. Last time it was about 2 inches across, and had one (1) slice of strawberry (as though the berry had been cut into three pieces)

Even tea has changed, gone are the 5-6 different teas, now there are about 3 and even these are "herbal" rather than "tea".

I am not obsessed with food, or do I "pig out", but I just do not understand some of the thoughts behind present day Cunard thinking. Instance how often are passengers told "Dining room is closed" when in a major port, since alternative restaurants are also closed it is Kings Court or Lido for those in Britannia.

Then you see 30-40 travel agents going into dining room for a really upscale lunch (often far better menu than normal lunch), but as a passenger you are not allowed in!!!!

Who is behind this thinking?.

It does not stop me from sailing Cunard again, but it is not good PR to antagonize your paying clients.

It does not stop me from sailing Cunard again, but it is not good PR to antagonize your paying clients.

Very well put, my comments have been in relation to the OP of whether the managements talk of bringing Cunard back to the forefront of the industry is based on a substantial plan or is just a bit of PR bumf.

As a late starter I have enjoyed 6 exceptional cruises in QG on Mary and Victoria whilst Peter Shanks was the top man. However, my first experience of Mary under the new regime was measurably poorer in all respects. As such I will not be returning until I see evidence of some improvements.

It saddens me that we have these marvels of engineering and so much history in a brand but at present I have to watch from the sidelines until convinced otherwise. The way forward I believe is to take note of constructive criticism and not dismiss "moaners" out of hand.

As an example of the real situation and not just peoples differing opinions, should anyone care to take a look at the Cunard website I believe there is still rather alot of availability for the QM2 birthday crossing on 9th May. Not so long ago such an event would be sold out many months or even a year or more in advance.

... The way forward I believe is to take note of constructive criticism ...
Hi DB605,

Well said, couldn't agree with you more, thank you :) .

I love to read constructive criticism, where balance is given, good points and bad (maybe some suggestions for the future), such information is very useful to all of us.

... As such I will not be returning until I see evidence of some improvements ...
Forgive me; difficult to see changes without being there to see them? :confused:

Once again, thank you :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Indeed Pepperrn and thankyou:), in this instance however I am staying on topic and merely pointed out the changes I have witnessed first hand since the PR relaunch. My experiences have only been of the Queens Grill so I cannot comment on other areas. The one good point I will highlight is that the Delamotte Champagne is still hugely underpriced and extremely good;)

On the subject of seeing evidence of improvements I will be relying on the good people of CC for now as the costs involved to find out if things have changed in QG are somewhat prohibitive in my eyes. Perhaps when the occupancy rates improve or when someone from corporate contacts me to enquire as to why my not insignificant spend is going elsewhere then I may consider taking the plunge.

In the interests of full disclosure I have recently gone to the dark side and tried the suites on Celebrity and was asked by pretty much most of the senior hotel staff onboard about my experience of QG on Cunard. Having told them it was absolutely marvellous and the QG setup is second to none it was interesting to note that Celebrity have pretty much rearranged the whole suite offering to offer a QG type experience in the near future.

The most dialogue i enjoyed on my last post management change QM2 trip involved enquiring why my tableside finished rack of lamb ordered to be served pink was well done was to be told by the waitress that this was how the English liked it. This was followed shortly by a reprimand for asking if we could have our coffee and liquors served in the grills lounge:confused:

In summary we have enjoyed 6 wonderful cruises in QG but the 7th coinciding with the new management coming on board was pretty horrible. And here we get back to the original topic of course:)

Edited by DB605

The dining room hasn't been closed once on the current WC as far as I know. Although it might just be one floor in operation which is sufficient to meet demand.

I believe that you are fairly new to Cunard cruising, it may also be that your assigned dining area is PG or QG. (These are open even on embarkation, whilst the "rowers" like myself would find the Britannia is absolutely CLOSED )

I have done 22 cruises so far on Cunard (all have been B2B or even longer) and I can say without any doubt that Britannia is not only closed on Embarkation day but also at other times, whenever Cunard was wining and dining Travel agents.

Every cruise I have done has had Britannia closed, in Southampton, Hamburg, SF and LA in order to wine and dine Travel agents.

Sorry if you disagree with me, but having paid $350 per day, I happen think Cunard should consider their PR with their paying in transit clients at least as important (if not more so ) as that with Travel Agents.

Every cruise I have done has had Britannia closed, in Southampton, Hamburg, SF and LA in order to wine and dine Travel agents.

Sorry if you disagree with me, but having paid $350 per day, I happen think Cunard should consider their PR with their paying in transit clients at least as important (if not more so ) as that with Travel Agents.

You are absolutely right, Lynn. The Britannia Restaurant is plenty large enough to host hundreds of travel agents and hundreds of in-transit passengers at the same time. My wife and I have been gawked at by travel agent tours as we tried to enjoy a quiet in-transit morning in the Commodore Club. At least the Commodore Club was open and staffed, and it was fun to overhear the misinformation being fed to the travel agents (e.g. "This is the Commodore Club, directly under the bridge.").

Let's hope for the best, or at least some intelligence on Cunard's part.

Paul

I believe that you are fairly new to Cunard cruising, it may also be that your assigned dining area is PG or QG. (These are open even on embarkation, whilst the "rowers" like myself would find the Britannia is absolutely CLOSED )

I have done 22 cruises so far on Cunard (all have been B2B or even longer) and I can say without any doubt that Britannia is not only closed on Embarkation day but also at other times, whenever Cunard was wining and dining Travel agents.

You are only assigned to the Grills if that's where you book.

I guess for you I'm new. I don't consider myself new. Certainly for an Aussie I'm not.

And nothing in my posts reflects any naivety if that's what you're implying. Just relating the facts when I've been on QM2.

Just wondering how I managed to dine in Britannia on my embarkation day? For people not doing WC then they are closed but for over 3 months of the year Britannia is open every day.

And while you've been on 22 cruises, it seems none have been done during a world cruise. So maybe my 3 WC sectors gives me the opportunity to in this case, be "an experienced Cunarder". So please don't put me down and tell me I'm wrong. I'm stating the facts for the 28 days I've been on QM2. You sound like my mother lecturing a naughty child simply because she's older than me.

Edited by Pushka

Just wondering how I managed to dine in Britannia on my embarkation day? For people not doing WC then they are closed but for over 3 months of the year Britannia is open every day.

I have never known Britannia to be open for lunch on embarkation day so would be interested to know how you did manage it. For full WC pax l can understand as they have certain privileges, or they used to on the QE2 WC, but you mentioned that you were only on board for three sectors of the world cruise so can only assume that Cunard are now relaxing the rules.

Best, Judy

I have never known Britannia to be open for lunch on embarkation day so would be interested to know how you did manage it. For full WC pax l can understand as they have certain privileges, or they used to on the QE2 WC, but you mentioned that you were only on board for three sectors of the world cruise so can only assume that Cunard are now relaxing the rules.

Best, Judy

Hi Judy

Simply that on the World Cruise, the facilities of the Britannia restaurant are available to every passenger, on embarkation day, not just full WC people. Many people aren't aware of this though and dine in the Kings Court. But it is most certainly open.

Hi Judy

Simply that on the World Cruise, the facilities of the Britannia restaurant are available to every passenger, on embarkation day, not just full WC people. Many people aren't aware of this though and dine in the Kings Court. But it is most certainly open.

So Pushka,

I can assume I will be able to lunch in Britannia after boarding in Freo? Excellent.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

So Pushka,

I can assume I will be able to lunch in Britannia after boarding in Freo? Excellent.:D

Hey, MicCanberra, just tell the maître d that Puska said it was ok :D

Just my personal experience, but lunch in Britannia on embarkation day when departing from NY has never been an option available to me, even when I was doing a back-to-back cruise (booked as two separate cruises, perhaps that makes a difference?). I could see that the MDR was open and serving people, but embarking passengers were clearly not invited.

Speaking of cruises, I don't understand why a segment of the World Cruise is often referred to as a doing a 'world cruise', when it's really more like any other cruise? A World Cruise is distinctly different, in my opinion.

And as far as being an "experienced Cunarder", anyone who has ever been on a Cunard ship even once has had the experience of a Cunard ship - obviously. The difference is that some have much more experience than others. I've only been on QM2 for 12 voyages - which in the scheme of things makes me a relative newbie. While everyone's experience is different, the law of averages tells me that more experienced passengers provide a wealth of experience and are not to be dismissed.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Hey, MicCanberra, just tell the maître d that Puska said it was ok :D

I will, I can say I read it on CC.

Just my personal experience, but lunch in Britannia on embarkation day when departing from NY has never been an option available to me, even when I was doing a back-to-back cruise (booked as two separate cruises, perhaps that makes a difference?). I could see that the MDR was open and serving people, but embarking passengers were clearly not invited.

Speaking of cruises, I don't understand why a segment of the World Cruise is often referred to as a doing a 'world cruise', when it's really more like any other cruise? A World Cruise is distinctly different, in my opinion.

And as far as being an "experienced Cunarder", anyone who has ever been on a Cunard ship even once has had the experience of a Cunard ship - obviously. The difference is that some have much more experience than others. I've only been on QM2 for 12 voyages - which in the scheme of things makes me a relative newbie. While everyone's experience is different, the law of averages tells me that more experienced passengers provide a wealth of experience and are not to be dismissed.

Salacia

We all know that some experiences can be different for people who are on the same cruise. All we can report on is what happened to us and not necessarily what happens on every single cruise. :D

Hi Judy

Much as I'd like to, I've not said I was doing a WC.:p I simply used the term WC to indicate it wasn't a TA. And in the post above, you can see I did refer to such lucky people as "full WC people".

And Mic, go to the level on the Britannia that will be open on YOUR embarkation day - only 1 level will be open. Maitre D will welcome you with open arms. well, he's not quite that welcoming but you get my drift. :D

Edited by Pushka

Much as I'd like to, I've not said I was doing a WC.:p I simply used the term WC to indicate it wasn't a TA. And in the post above, you can see I did refer to such lucky people as "full WC people".

Pushka, no, my question wasn't directed at you personally. Really. You can see it for yourself...how many refer to doing a "World Cruise" when it's really a segment of a world cruise. I sincerely don't understand what makes a segment any different from any other cruise. Chalk it up to my curiosity since I've done neither :)

And Mic, go to the level on the Britannia that will be open on YOUR embarkation day - only 1 level will be open. Maitre D will welcome you with open arms. well, he's not quite that welcoming but you get my drift. :D

If they don't let me in, I will hug them until they do.:p

You could indeed do that...or you could read the sign placed in front of the doors of Britannia Restaurant :D:D:D

Maybe do both.

Pushka, no, my question wasn't directed at you personally. Really. You can see it for yourself...how many refer to doing a "World Cruise" when it's really a segment of a world cruise. I sincerely don't understand what makes a segment any different from any other cruise. Chalk it up to my curiosity since I've done neither :)

Sure, I guess it gets messy when you say segments. But if I'm searching on google for a sale then I do use the word segments! But WC sounds much spiffier. :p

Hi Judy

That's excellent news Pushka and a good heads up for those who have been unaware.

Judy

I hope that no newbies take your advice Pushka, being turned away from the Britannia just after boarding would be a bad start to their cruise.

Britannia is NOT OPEN to passengers on embarkation day, (either level), if you try to go in -because you can see Travel Agents in there you will be turned away. AS I WAS when midway through a B2B2B cruise of 28 days. Telling the Maitre D' I was an "IN TRANSIT "passenger even showing my card had no effect He just referred me to the entry in the daily schedule which stated that Britannia was not open for lunch.

BTW He had seen me in the dining room every day for 14 days prior to this. I am doing a B2B2B in July, and I know that Britannia will NOT BE OPEN to any passengers on July 6, July 13, July 15, July17, and July 21, these are embarkation days, I also know that most likely there will be Travel Agents being made welcome in there.

This is not a rant, or a complaint , it is information all Britannia passengers need to know.