Any signs of changes on QM2

Jimsgirl

The new CEO promised that Cunard in the future would return to the old Cunard values and abandon the "cut price " version we have seen in the past few years .

Has any cruisers seen signs of this return to past values, or was it just an empty PR trick?

I hope it will mean , better food - recently we have had too many meals more suited to "a Working mans' club" than the menus we used to have on QM2. I can think of two so called Chefs (British) who seem to have been previously employed in fast food establishments.

Stale bread, rolls at breakfast baked 24 hours previously, and the items served in Sir Samuels have become so small cruisers will need magnifying glasses to see them if they get any smaller.

It would also be fantastic to have new shows, how many more years will they show "Appassionata". It has been featured for about 6-7 YEARS.

The new CEO promised that Cunard in the future would return to the old Cunard values and abandon the "cut price " version we have seen in the past few years .

Has any cruisers seen signs of this return to past values, or was it just an empty PR trick?

I hope it will mean , better food - recently we have had too many meals more suited to "a Working mans' club" than the menus we used to have on QM2. I can think of two so called Chefs (British) who seem to have been previously employed in fast food establishments.

Stale bread, rolls at breakfast baked 24 hours previously, and the items served in Sir Samuels have become so small cruisers will need magnifying glasses to see them if they get any smaller.

It would also be fantastic to have new shows, how many more years will they show "Appassionata". It has been featured for about 6-7 YEARS.[/quote]

Mrs. Jimsgirl, regarding Appasionata, I blame myself...On my first QM2 voyage six years ago, I asked my husband if he wanted to see Appassionata. He didn't. Same reaction for the next several voyages. Finally, I wagered him that show would continue until he agreed to see it. Still, no deal. Twelve voyages later, it remains a main feature that we haven't seen; all bets are off. So, Cunard, if you are reading this - time for a new show, please ;)

Cheers,

-S.:)

The new CEO promised that Cunard in the future would return to the old Cunard values and abandon the "cut price " version we have seen in the past few years . Has any cruisers seen signs of this return to past values, or was it just an empty PR trick?
Hi Jimsgirl,

I board QM2 in eleven days (WooHoo! :) :) :) ) and I promise to find this thread after I've left the ship (BooHoo :( :( :( ) and have returned to the UK, and let you know what I observe and overhear during my voyage.

I hope you have a wonderful time during your summer crossings and cruise on QM2.

Edited by pepperrn

... Twelve voyages later, it remains a main feature that we haven't seen ...
Nor me. My parents saw "Appasionata" on their transatlantic crossing (I was in the Commodore Club at the time :) ); they loved it and thought it was the best of the shows they saw on board).

(I saw "Rock at the Opera" four or five times, if I remember correctly :eek: )

Edited by pepperrn

It would also be fantastic to have new shows, how many more years will they show "Appassionata". It has been featured for about 6-7 YEARS.

A couple of years ago I asked about this. More out of curiosity as I usually don't go to the shows but I was wondering about those guests who travel frequently and see the same shows repeatedly. I was told that there is a contract regarding shows and that when they buy the rights they then have to show them for a minimum period of time. If I recall correctly, I thought this period of time was 5 years. So either what I heard is completely wrong or they renewed the contract and they are going to be around for another few years! :eek: Of course it may have just been ship speculation, as so many of these things often are.

Cunard have just contracted a new company to produce the theatre productions. I think it takes effect on return to Southampton in May.

As far as food is concerned it seemed somewhat improved since 2012. I don't eat bread rolls though.

Edited by Pushka

The assumption that "newer" shows translates to "better" shows is not a safe one.

I happen to quite like the formats of 'Apassionata' and 'Singers in Concert' but agree that the repitorie needs a bit of an update--starting with that medley of songs from kiddie movies. But should I be privileged to board QM2 later this year [plans are brewing] I would gladly sit through the old hoary versions for the fourth time in barely three years if doing so would erase the hour I spent watching 'Crazy in Love' from my mind. Making its QM2 debut last May per the Cruise Director's overhype, 'Crazy in Love' was (according to the Daily Programme) a melange of songs about the "heartbreak" and "absurdity" of the "relationship cycle" [whatever that is] sung to a poorly performed tinny backing tape. When the only interesting section is a 10 minute excerpt from Sondheim's 'Company' you know you are watching a magnificient piece of dreck.

So if one wishes for a "return to past values" by Cunard let us hope it includes keeping the entertainment old and stodgy--just like its passengers who prefer dressing for dinner every night--rather than a token pander to a "hipper" audience.

Hi Jimsgirl,

Small portions are trend in upper level cuisine. US-size portions are a no-go anywhere outside the US.

I am very happy that portions were constantly decreased in size within the last five years.

It is not a problem to ask for a second serving...

Serving size was plenty large enough. Sometimes I'd just order two appetisers or a main with no desert. And I skip the bread. How much do people need to eat in 1 sitting. Never ate a large breakfast, small lunch and only 1 afternoon tea in 23 days. Never felt hungry.

Portion size has never been a valid argument in my view. DW and I have cruised on four different mainstream lines. We've never been discouraged to order more than one of any course or dish.

Our first Cunard sailing starts May 9. And from what I've been reading the same policy exists on Cunard. So now I have been forewarned. When ordering lunch in Sir Samuels, I will start by ordering two. Thank you!

Harvey

I had NO interest in seeing Apassionata on our QM2 crossing in 2012.

Luckily, a young man who worked in the shops, and who I had met on a Celebrity ship a few months earlier, strongly suggested that we make certain to see it. We are so grateful to him. It was wonderful and I hope that they have something similar on our Norwegian Grand voyage next month.

Obviously we all have different tastes. :)

I thought it was ok too. There was a stunning performance in Shanghai of this artist who played a Chinese percussion instrument (dulcimer?) who was absolutely brilliant. His arms moved so quickly that his performance was almost like an illusion. It's hard to describe but it was quite stunning.

Edited by Pushka

I asked 3-4 years ago about the production shows and was also told that they are scheduled to run for five years due to costs of mounting them. When on board last December I asked Paul the entertainment director if they would change beginning with the May 9th 2014 voyage. He did not know for sure, but said it was a good guess. He did say that Cunard just changed production companies so I am sure we will see some examples of their work in May. Its a sure bet that opinions will be all over the place. Appassionata was a hold over because it was so popular and I like it so much I went to both performances the evening it was performed in December. When Crazy in Love and the Italian one came on board , I did complain on my comment card and to anyone else in earshot about the canned music - one of my favorite things is the live music. Of course, they did put the Royal Court orchestra in the ballroom for big band night and that worked out great. I am packing now getting ready in great anticipation for the May 9th sailing - should be great - but will be looking to see if the orchestras remained intact.

I LOVED "Appassionata". the first and second times . Unfortunately it is now on its 6-7th year, that amounts to approx. 800 performances. Of course for first or second time QM2 cruisers it is still "fantastic" but for those who are Diamond cruisers it is "oh not that again". For myself it would be the 22nd time and that is 18 performances too many. Same with Crazy in Love (which I thought terrible, even the first time )

Food in Sir Samuels, again my complaint is due to the "cut and cut again" policies of the last few years. Once the Almond Croissants were approx. 3 inches in size, accompanied by a dish of fruit conserve , - last cruise, this less than 2 inch pastry sat on the plate all alone. Asked for conserve told " no conserve". Same with quiche or strawberry tart, both of these have shrunk down to only two bites in size. (I am not kidding, my quiche was only 2 inches across and the tart was even less, it was so small, the strawberry was just a thin slice (the berry had been cut into about 3 slices, to make filling for 3 very small tarts.) It used to contain several whole strawberries!

It is not that I am a pig in my eating habits, but if I am ordering a lunch I do want to taste the food for more than just 2 bites.

By the way several of us ordered French Onion soup at dinner, we could not believe our eyes, each serving had only ONE slice of onion and NO cheese or bread "crust" It was made using a bouillon cube and water with the slice of onion added after the bowl was "filled" We complained to head waiter who simply shrugged and said "I have no control over the way food is prepared" .

I assume from some of the choices mentioned in this thread , that most of the comments come from cruisers who dine in the Grills, or eat several times at TE. since they are not dishes I have ever seen on the Britannia menu.

My favoured item is the "not on the menu" shrimp cocktail which I order almost every night, Dining companions are always surprised because not only is it not on the menu as such but the waiters NEVER tell anyone now that there are alternative items available in Britannia. Why the secrecy?

Hi Jimsgirl,

I board QM2 in eleven days (WooHoo! :) :) :) ) and I promise to find this thread after I've left the ship (BooHoo :( :( :( ) and have returned to the UK, and let you know what I observe and overhear during my voyage.

I hope you have a wonderful time during your summer crossings and cruise on QM2.

I will hold you to that promise. If you wish you can e mail me at home at rafex1@centurylink.net

I am looking forward to cruising again in July, (QM2 Grand Voyage )

I will write a review after my return and hope that I can report that Cunard has once more become CUNARD not "cunard aka carnival '

Cunard have just contracted a new company to produce the theatre productions. I think it takes effect on return to Southampton in May.

As far as food is concerned it seemed somewhat improved since 2012. I don't eat bread rolls though.

Any idea of the name of the new company for theatre? Is it Belinda King? If so, lower your expectations. Just saw way too many Belinda King productions on Seabourn. While the performers are clearly talented, the material was often dreadful, just boring mash-ups of 30-second snippets of popular songs.

I LOVED "Appassionata". the first and second times . Unfortunately it is now on its 6-7th year, that amounts to approx. 800 performances. Of course for first or second time QM2 cruisers it is still "fantastic" but for those who are Diamond cruisers it is "oh not that again". For myself it would be the 22nd time and that is 18 performances too many. Same with Crazy in Love (which I thought terrible, even the first time )

Food in Sir Samuels, again my complaint is due to the "cut and cut again" policies of the last few years. Once the Almond Croissants were approx. 3 inches in size, accompanied by a dish of fruit conserve , - last cruise, this less than 2 inch pastry sat on the plate all alone. Asked for conserve told " no conserve". Same with quiche or strawberry tart, both of these have shrunk down to only two bites in size. (I am not kidding, my quiche was only 2 inches across and the tart was even less, it was so small, the strawberry was just a thin slice (the berry had been cut into about 3 slices, to make filling for 3 very small tarts.) It used to contain several whole strawberries!

It is not that I am a pig in my eating habits, but if I am ordering a lunch I do want to taste the food for more than just 2 bites.

By the way several of us ordered French Onion soup at dinner, we could not believe our eyes, each serving had only ONE slice of onion and NO cheese or bread "crust" It was made using a bouillon cube and water with the slice of onion added after the bowl was "filled" We complained to head waiter who simply shrugged and said "I have no control over the way food is prepared" .

I assume from some of the choices mentioned in this thread , that most of the comments come from cruisers who dine in the Grills, or eat several times at TE. since they are not dishes I have ever seen on the Britannia menu.

My favoured item is the "not on the menu" shrimp cocktail which I order almost every night, Dining companions are always surprised because not only is it not on the menu as such but the waiters NEVER tell anyone now that there are alternative items available in Britannia. Why the secrecy?

Of course our few times in the Grills were outstanding(as it should be). The last trip(2012 on QV) the food was good, but not as good as past Britannia trips. The formal meal consisted of a "tiny" lobstertail with a smattering of thermidore. Really quite poor. The staff was not too accomodating in granting seconds. I have to say we felt rushed to be out by 7:30(or earlier) Our Jan. trip on the Celebrity Eclipse was like Britannia in 2004. Portions were quite large & very varied. On 2 formal nights we had Beef Wellington or Lobster tail. Both were generous portions. I can't say this is on all Celebrity ships, but on Eclipse it was good enough that we plan a repeat next winter. It was a 14 day trip & we found it to be far superior to Cunard in 2012. Like you we tried an inside cabin. Our only complaint was that the main sewer line was nearby, so when someone flushed you really heard it. We found that by keeping the bathroom door closed that it helped.

Qdos is the new production company. They already have a cast on the QV, another is due to board the QE on the 31st May and another going to the QM2 around a month or so later. Qdos also supply some of the Celebrity casts.

Good stuff then, the Celebrity shows are generally good quality and entertaining. At least they suit mine and my Wife's taste.:D

I've read three things within this thread that I feel compelled to reply to:

1) Mention was made to the matre'd's response in regards to the poor presentation of the French onion soup. Paraphrasing: "I have no control over how the food is prepared". It's hard to believe any matre'd would utter such a short answer unless approached by a pompous ass.

2) Mention was made of a small lobster thermador presentation and the wait staff was reluctant to bring seconds. Again, how was the server approached? Again, I find it hard to believe unless the server was talked down to.

3) I mentioned in an earlier post that I don't consider small portions a valid argument. Ask nicely and they will bring you more.

Thanks for letting me vent. Ten days 'til boarding the QM2. I plan on smiling a lot and talking nicely to everyone!

Harvey

I've read three things within this thread that I feel compelled to reply to:

1) Mention was made to the matre'd's response in regards to the poor presentation of the French onion soup. Paraphrasing: "I have no control over how the food is prepared". It's hard to believe any matre'd would utter such a short answer unless approached by a pompous ass.

2) Mention was made of a small lobster thermador presentation and the wait staff was reluctant to bring seconds. Again, how was the server approached? Again, I find it hard to believe unless the server was talked down to.

3) I mentioned in an earlier post that I don't consider small portions a valid argument. Ask nicely and they will bring you more.

Thanks for letting me vent. Ten days 'til boarding the QM2. I plan on smiling a lot and talking nicely to everyone!

Harvey

Hi

Totally agree! I have sailed with Cunard 34 times and I am still amazed how so many passengers don't bother to say please and thank you to the staff or to bother learning their names. They act as if hard working staffers are not human or have feelings. I have found being polite and considerate of the crew goes a long way.

Deck Chair