Three weeks on The World

We are lucky enough to have a friend who has a studio apartment on The World. Recently we spent just over three weeks on the ship.

We joined the ship in Papeete. Our passports were checked at the gate to the pier. Porters took our bags from us when we got out of the cab right beside the ship. Passports were checked again at the bottom of the gangway and where we were directed up to reception in The Plaza. We were given a choice of champagne (real champagne!) or juice as we were being checked in.

Once we’d signed our lives away we were taken to our studio. Bags were already on the bed waiting for us. A full ship’s tour was arranged for later in the afternoon.

Apartment/cabin -

The studio was a similar size to our verandah ‘suite’ on Rotterdam. Bathroom was much bigger with a full bath and shower, walls/floor all in grey marble, humungous towels, Bvlgari toiletries. We also had a walk-in wardrobe and another wardrobe in the hallway.

Amazingly comfortable bed, narrow desk and stool in hallway, another desk near verandah door, single easy chair with footstool (no sofa). Decent size table and two chairs on verandah. Lots of cupboards, drawers etc but of course this is our friend’s part-time home so we had just some of this space for our stuff.

There’s 147 (I think) apartments. They range from studios (with no walk-in robe, about 300sq ft) to 3000sq ft three bedroom apartments. We had dinner one night in a two bedroom apartment. It was easily as big as more than one apartment I’ve lived in over the years.

Itinerary -

We stayed in Papeete (docked, two nights, dep 8am third day) to Moorea (tender, arr 11am, stay overnight, dep midnight second day), Huahine (tender, arr 9am, stay overnight dep 6am next day), Bora Bora (tender, arr 1pm, stay two nights, dep midnight third day), Aitutaki (tender (zodiac), arr 8am, dep 6pm), Rarotonga (tender, arr 9am, dep 11pm), Nuku’alofa (dock, arr 9am, dep 8pm), Norfolk Island (tender (zodiac), arr 8am, dep 8pm), Bay of Islands (tender, arr 8am, stay overnight, dep 10pm next day) and we left the ship in Auckland (dock, arr 9am). We nominated the time for bag pick up and time we’d walk off the ship.

The ship usually arrived exactly on time, or a bit early, and left as soon as the last passenger was onboard (always early!). On Norfolk last tender was 7.30, dep was 8. We got to the pier at 6.40 and we were the last two people still ashore. The shore party packed up behind us as we got into the zodiac and the anchor was coming up as we walked into our apartment right on 7.

Ship

Beautiful. No RSL/cinema lobby carpets anywhere to be found. Carpets cream or pale grey. Any wood was very pale. Art all very modern, lots of glass sculptures and photography as artworks.

It reminded me of Celebrity.

Everything is very understated except Portraits, the formal fine diner. It is very dramatic, all black, white and silver with a wall of wine as you walk in.

Food -

Food without exception was fantastic. We ate in all of the restaurants and had room service for breakfast (a few times) and dinner (once). We also bought plenty of stuff in the deli for use in our apartment. You can bring anything onboard at ports – food, alcohol, whatever. If they think it might need fumigating they’ll take it off you and do that.

The deli has a bistro that serves casual food from 8am to 8pm. We had late breakfast and lunch there. It is also a shop that sells fresh fruit and veg, cheese and other dairy products, fresh bakery goods and general groceries. The bakery goods were AMAZING.

There’s a bistro by the pool (also a pool bar) and Asian, Italian, French and Steak/Seafood restaurants. There’s two bars not associated to restaurants, a nightclub (beautiful space) and a cinema. A full spa and a very big gym. Pool is beautiful. One Jacuzzi by the pool. Full size tennis court where we played cricket with mix of crew and residents/guests. They also played soccer up there.

Residents

They could not have been warmer and more welcoming. We were both terrified before we left home. Would we be ignored? Did we have the right clothes?

We could not have had it more wrong. We never had an issue with the clothes we took. We followed the dress guidelines and never looked out of place. On tenders we were always asked how we came to be on the ship.

Everyone knew our friend and that gave us acceptance and entry into conversation. The residents always said hello as you passed them.

Fingers crossed we’ll be lucky enough to be invited back.

Sounds marvellous.

Do you have some photos to share?

If you hit the travelpod link at the bottom of my signature and then select the 'Where in the world is The World' blog, the photos and a lot more detail are all in there.

pete

It sounds like you had a great time on "The World" and you are very very lucky to have friends who have a studio on her :D

I look forward to reading your blog and looking at the photos! (always wanted to know what the inside of her looked like!).

newfarmers,

This trip sounds wonderful. I asssume that the restaurants charge you since the ship is like a moving condo/apartment building? Are they very expensive? Are there sports facilities? Any type of entertainment?

You're charged for everything and it is either billed to the resident's account or your own account depending on what has been set-up.

It was amazing how quickly the wonderful crew new our names and our apartment number to charge meals, drinks, items from the deli/shop to.

Food was very reasonably priced. Pasta of the day was $16, a rare beef salad by the pool cheaper then that. East and Tides (Asian and Italian) were restaurant (or cheaper) prices that we pay here at home. Steaks and other meat cuts varied from reasonable to amazingly expensive at Marina, but that's the same here as well. It's amazing how much people will pay for a piece of beef!

The wine encyclopaedia was hilarious. It was sooooooooo big. We were always able to find good wines for around $60, again, an amount we'd pay in a good restaurant. The prices went to places in a universe we've never visited. You can bring alcohol of any kind on board at any and every port. We saw some residents heading back to the ship in Tonga with a carton of the local beer on the husband's shoulder! I'm not sure what the protocol was if you wanted to bring your own wine to a restaurant.

There's a full size tennis court where they also have regular cricket and soccer games (between residents, guests and crew) and the crew sure don't hold back! There's a fantastic golf simulator with a full time golf pro. Every port saw a big group of residents heading off to the local golf course. There was also a big group of scuba divers. They provide bicycles for free at every port. We just booked through reception. Quite a few residents have their own bikes. The gym was huge. While we were there they actually expanded it into another room for 'quiet' exercise like yoga. They were a very active group of people. There was also a self levelling pool table that we didn't get around to trying. Next time :)

Entertainment was limited. There was either a duet or a piano player in the Plaza every night. Whoever wasn't there was playing in one of the restaurants, or Regatta Bar. There was a really nice theatre where guest speakers talked and a movie was played pretty much every night. First release movies on demand on the tv in your apartment as well. There was karaoke on two nights. They really got into it and managed to convince me to get up both times. There is a beautiful nightclub/bar where a 'dance party was also held twice. Again, very well patronised. The residents have a great time with each other.

They call decks five and six 'The Village' and that's what the whole ship feels like. Everyone says hi as they pass, or stops to talk. It's a village that is just constantly moving.

Thank you so much Pete for your review , your blog and your description of life in the "Village".

The pics reminded me very much of on board Regents Seven Seas Mariner...very understated and elegant. Regent was cream and duck egg blue , whereas The World seemed to be cream on cream.

I imagine that life on board would be fairly quiet, as any Apartment building would be, and it would up to the residents to make a lot of their own entertainment. I was surprised to hear they were so fit and active as I imagined most would be elderly and not very mobile. I guess to afford that lifestyle they would have to be real go getters.

Thank you for sharing your voyage with us. Its been a great insight.

If you hit the travelpod link at the bottom of my signature and then select the 'Where in the world is The World' blog, the photos and a lot more detail are all in there.

pete

Thanks, interesting to view the photos.

Thank you so much for this review . I enjoyed reading your fun, interesting blog with some great pictures. The World looks incredible , the lounge areas, everything ! I never thought I would be able to see inside The World but now I have , thanks again and cheers, Buzz.