norwegian = worst customer service department ever

accmiller

Why would I want rooms across the hall from each other if they didn't have doors that faced each other? What exactly would be the point?

Not sure why you are asking me these questions as they have nothing to do with what I said. :confused:

*I* never said the thread should be closed.

I know nothing for a FACT! No one does. He's telling his story. We're not hearing the other side of the story. The truth is probably somewhere in between. ALL I'm saying is the OP NEVER once said that he was told that the doors were facing each other.

But you already know that as you've read the entire thread.

Harriet

I was told the rooms faced each other. I was told this when the NCL rep discussed the difference between getting two adjoining mini-suites or saving some money and getting the inside cabin across from the mini-suite.

For the life of me I don't see where the story could be somewhere in between. It is clear that I have been pretty vocal and nobody from NCL has yet to contact me. Which in itself just shows incredibly poor customer service. But to think that I could end up with two rooms assigned by ncl right across from each other and that wasn't done thinking we would have doors facing each other defies common sense in my very humble opinion.

If I picked the rooms I would be the first to say it is my fault. That isn't the case though.

True! However, they never told you the doors were across the hall and you never asked.

Harriet

I did ask. That was the whole point of switching our rooms. I called into to get two adjoining cabins and the NCL offered this suggestion instead.

Really? I was told by the NCL representative that the doors did face each other. That was the whole point of having the rooms across the hall right?

That was never mentioned in your original post here. Re-read post #1.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I did ask. That was the whole point of switching our rooms. I called into to get two adjoining cabins and the NCL offered this suggestion instead.

Yes, as you stated in post #1. You asked for two adjoining cabins. NCL said that wasn't possible and suggested an inside cabin across from your cabin. You agreed. You never said in post #1 that NCL said the cabin doors were facing each other.

Harriet

Edit:: I'm done with this thread!

Edited by hpecorari

Did you really think he'd correct you when, in fact, he was never told 'the doors were directly across from one another'

Bingo! He just assumed the doors were across the hall from one another when he was told the rooms were across from each other. Why I always check the deck plans, choose my room(s) and then let my PCC book it.

Yes, I really think that if I said something incorrect, that the OP would correct it.

Really? I was told by the NCL representative that the doors did face each other. That was the whole point of having the rooms across the hall right?

There you go. I hope that settles it. The OP was, in fact, told the doors were directly across from one another.

Edited by SeaShark

That was never mentioned in your original post here. Re-read post #1.

Harriet

Yes, as you stated in post #1. You asked for two adjoining cabins. NCL said that wasn't possible and suggested an inside cabin across from your cabin. You agreed. You never said in post #1 that NCL said the cabin doors were facing each other.

Harriet

The OP also did not mention what the room numbers were in post #1.

However, when he mentioned them later it really did nothing to change the facts of the situation. Not EVERYTHING needs to be stated in post #1.

True! However, they never told you the doors were across the hall and you never asked.

Harriet

Being a first time cruiser you should know to ask this question right? Looking at the deck plans you should also figure it out right.

I mean come on now, how many cruise ships have this strange configuration in all the ships that are sailing for all the mass market lines?

Some of the phone reps are just as clueless as a first time cruiser when it comes to ship information and the rep that accmiller spoke too probably had no clue the doors weren't adjacent.

sheesh

Bill

I didn't even think of that. I would have been very upset if we had to get in lifeboats and we were separated.

It happens. You can have staterooms right next to each other and be in different muster stations. It all depends on where the cutoff is. Not much you can do about it.

As to children being in their own cabin. I'm not a fan. A number of years ago we booked two cabins on another line. A parent and child in each one. The rep said we could move around once onboard. DH and I discussed it and decided that we would keep it one parent and one child in each cabin. We had booked guarantees so the cabins could have been anywhere. Even when it turned out they were side by side, we stuck to our plan. I guess many people don't because when we boarded the ship one room was made up as twins and the other as a queen. When we asked to split the beds the steward said he put them together because he thought we'd be switching.

Also, OP keeps saying the cabins were on opposite sides of the ship. They weren't. They are still on the same side. The cabin on the opposite side of the interior corridor would have been on the other side. OP when you do speak with someone in authority, don't embellish, stick with the facts otherwise you will lose credibility.

I have contacted them in every way I could and then some. After repeated attempts on the cruise I got a letter on my door mid cruise. They said the ship was full so they couldn't do anything but if something came available they would let me know. Not so amusing at the time but reading it back today I found it very amusing. I guess people leave mid cruise all the time??

1. You have stated repeatedly that you never received a response to your complaints while onboard. However, now multiple pages into the thread you casually mention a letter stating the ship is full and that they are unable to accommodate you. If I'm not mistaken, that is a response.

2. Yes, at times people do leave a ship mid cruise. They become ill and have to leave. They planned to disembark at one of the ports. They are asked to leave the ship for violating the terms of the contract.

I doubt that you will get a response from NCL at this point and if you do it will not offer any compensation.

It happens. You can have staterooms right next to each other and be in different muster stations. It all depends on where the cutoff is. Not much you can do about it.

As to children being in their own cabin. I'm not a fan. A number of years ago we booked two cabins on another line. A parent and child in each one. The rep said we could move around once onboard. DH and I discussed it and decided that we would keep it one parent and one child in each cabin. We had booked guarantees so the cabins could have been anywhere. Even when it turned out they were side by side, we stuck to our plan. I guess many people don't because when we boarded the ship one room was made up as twins and the other as a queen. When we asked to split the beds the steward said he put them together because he thought we'd be switching.

Also, OP keeps saying the cabins were on opposite sides of the ship. They weren't. They are still on the same side. The cabin on the opposite side of the interior corridor would have been on the other side. OP when you do speak with someone in authority, don't embellish, stick with the facts otherwise you will lose credibility.

Yeah, let's get the facts straight. You only had to go on the other side of the ship to enter the room across the hall. The room was still on the side side of the ship.

To you it's on the same side, to me it's on the other side if OP had to go to the other side of the ship to enter the room.

Looks like the OP had to either go forward or aft to the elevator banks and cross over to the other side of the ship and then go down the hallway from the aft elevators to cabin 13637 to get to the hallway where the door was located or from the other elevators midship go down the hall to cabin 13607 to get to the hallway where the door to their cabin was located.

Bill

Yeah, let's get the facts straight. You only had to go on the other side of the ship to enter the room across the hall. The room was still on the side side of the ship.

To you it's on the same side, to me it's on the other side if OP had to go to the other side of the ship to enter the room.

Looks like the OP had to either go forward or aft to the elevator banks and cross over to the other side of the ship and then go down the hallway from the aft elevators to cabin 13637 to get to the hallway where the door was located or from the other elevators midship go down the hall to cabin 13607 to get to the hallway where the door to their cabin was located.

Bill

Yes, you are correct. For those cabins you certainly do have to go around the mulberry bush to get there. Very inconvenient and odd design. This was common though on older ships and ocean liners. Although often it was a corridor that ran from port to starboard and the doors were on that corridor. It looks like the interior corridors for some blocks of insides do have access from port and starboard.

I'm sure that a CSR would argue that the cabins were still on the same side of the ship. So it might be best for OP to say something along the lines of "Although still on the same side of the ship, access was down the hall and on the opposite side of the ship." This way he can't be accused of exaggerating.

It's a shame that this happened. That's why I always do my own research and also recommend using a good TA, not an online TA. A good TA would have known that this was not an ideal situation and would not have allowed it to happen.

Yes, you are correct. For those cabins you certainly do have to go around the mulberry bush to get there. Very inconvenient and odd design. This was common though on older ships and ocean liners. Although often it was a corridor that ran from port to starboard and the doors were on that corridor. It looks like the interior corridors for some blocks of insides do have access from port and starboard.

I'm sure that a CSR would argue that the cabins were still on the same side of the ship. So it might be best for OP to say something along the lines of "Although still on the same side of the ship, access was down the hall and on the opposite side of the ship." This way he can't be accused of exaggerating.

It's a shame that this happened. That's why I always do my own research and also recommend using a good TA, not an online TA. A good TA would have known that this was not an ideal situation and would not have allowed it to happen.

It's a shame that a representative that works for the cruise line didn't know it and I bet not many travel agents are aware of the situation.

At least with the OP's post more will be aware of it going forward.

Bill

How old was the other kid?? I'm sorry, but I wouldn't even think to stick a 6-year old in a cabin w/out a parent.

Some of the inside cabin doorways on Getaway are right across the hall. The majority are not though. Not sure why you had to pay a cancellation fee to add a cabin. We were able to add a cabin once onboard for $200 ... but that's a gamble. Most of the time they are sold out.

I agree, unless the older children were teen agers. When our grandkids cruised the first time, they had a cabin between us and our daughter and husband. They were 10 and 14 years old.

If you look at the layout of the deck you will see that the balcony rooms on the other side are actually closer to our mini-suite than the door to the inside cabin was. You actually had to walk down the corridor along all the outside cabins on the other side to get to the entryway for the inside corridor. I understand your point but I think you would be hard pressed to find an inside cabin further away from the mini-suite based on where the door actually is.

1. You have stated repeatedly that you never received a response to your complaints while onboard. However, now multiple pages into the thread you casually mention a letter stating the ship is full and that they are unable to accommodate you. If I'm not mistaken, that is a response.

2. Yes, at times people do leave a ship mid cruise. They become ill and have to leave. They planned to disembark at one of the ports. They are asked to leave the ship for violating the terms of the contract.

I doubt that you will get a response from NCL at this point and if you do it will not offer any compensation.

I hope you are wrong. You think it is acceptable customer service to just ignore the customer when you have screwed up and then for some reason they are upset?

I hope you are wrong. You think it is acceptable customer service to just ignore the customer when you have screwed up and then for some reason they are upset?

Only 11 more posts to go to break the century mark. Quite incredible the amount of time you are spending on this same subject. What a pity that you could not have spent the same amount of time in actually contacting NCL. Have you asked yourself as to why you are not getting any response from them? I suspect most people probably know the answer.

Why do they design them that way? I would think it would be much better if they got rid of the interior hall and made the two exterior halls wider. I am sure there is a valid reason.

What I don't understand is why Norwegian hasn't emphasized this layout with all their representatives. In my company, I have a written memo printed for something like this and have everyone initial that they have read it. I realize you can't do that with a company the size of Norwegian but a quick email with a reply would work.

Their resolution of issues is also amazingly bad. I don't care if you agree with me or not they should at the very least have sent me something by now to at least let me know they were looking into it.

There are a lot of great things about Norwegian. Their customer service department is not one of them. And it is a shame because it has completely tarnished what was a great vacation for the most part.

No, I don't think it is acceptable customer service to ignore the customer. However, there are times when a business realizes that they are in a no win situation. They know that no matter what they do the customer will not be satisfied and may possibly be even further aggravated. Why spend the resources to respond when they know it will get them nowhere? NCL does read these boards so they know that you do not intend to sail with them again and also will tell others not to either. Since you've made your intentions perfectly clear, why would they bother to respond?

That being said, I've had very good service from NCL. However, I work on the theory that one catches more flies with honey than vinegar.

Only 11 more posts to go to break the century mark. Quite incredible the amount of time you are spending on this same subject. What a pity that you could not have spent the same amount of time in actually contacting NCL. Have you asked yourself as to why you are not getting any response from them? I suspect most people probably know the answer.

Yes because they have the world's worst customer service. I figured that answer out awhile ago.

I have contacted them several different ways and several different times. At this point, if they want to make things right they need to contact me. Not sure why that is such a problem for you.

Their resolution of issues is also amazingly bad. I don't care if you agree with me or not they should at the very least have sent me something by now to at least let me know they were looking into it.

They did. You just didn't like the answer. You stated that you received a letter saying the ship was full and they could not move you. Hence they looked into the situation and that was the response. Time to move on.

They did. You just didn't like the answer. You stated that you received a letter saying the ship was full and they could not move you. Hence they looked into the situation and that was the response. Time to move on.

I would prefer to hear it from someone in the corporate office. Sorry.

At the very least, I believe I am entitled to a phone call.

No, I don't think it is acceptable customer service to ignore the customer. However, there are times when a business realizes that they are in a no win situation. They know that no matter what they do the customer will not be satisfied and may possibly be even further aggravated. Why spend the resources to respond when they know it will get them nowhere? NCL does read these boards so they know that you do not intend to sail with them again and also will tell others not to either. Since you've made your intentions perfectly clear, why would they bother to respond?

That being said, I've had very good service from NCL. However, I work on the theory that one catches more flies with honey than vinegar.

So the answer is "Well we screwed up so bad that we know this person is never coming back so we might as well ignore him?" That just confirms the title of thread in my opinion. As a business owner I have to address every issue that comes up. I don't have the luxury of just ignoring those who might not be appeased.

And I have clarified on here several times. That I am more than willing to listen to their side. Several people on here have said there is my side and their side and the truth is somewhere in the middle. I would love to hear their side. If they produce a contract or a reason why they aren't at fault I will gladly let it go and tell everyone on here. So far that isn't the case. The two cruise consultants, the customer rep, the shore excursions department, the steward, and everyone else I have talked to have agreed that NCL made a mistake but they personally couldn't do anything. Should I have pursued further? Probably but I am not a big fan of escalating to supervisors. I prefer to let it flow through natural channels and see how it is handled. I think the way it has been handled has been telling.