Royal screwing to valued guest

If we're talking about the amount received on the 25% credit, I'm not sure how that is BofA's problem. I see their point about not getting the full 25% credit. I might be a little put out if I were in their shoes but I can't get over that they already got a full refund and still got a cruise albeit shortened.

Hi Gregg. The full refund is a moot point. Everyone got that. Too generous? Maybe but that was Royal's decision. The issue here is whether Royal is treating the 25% future cruise credit differently depending how the original cruise fare was paid. My understanding is that the Royal points card is a BOA credit card where the points earned can be used on Royal. When the customer redeems the points BOA pays the points value to Royal, so Royal is receiving payment for the cruise (likely not the full $1199 in this case depending on their contract with BOA), and so why treat that payment any differently than a cash/cc payment?

If it were me I would call BOA and inquire about the arrangement with Royal. Perhaps the contract specifically excludes these types of voucher payments if points are used. This might be the case but it's worth trying to find out. I would also call Royal again. It may be fruitless but nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Hi Gregg. The full refund is a moot point. Everyone got that. Too generous? Maybe but that was Royal's decision. The issue here is whether Royal is treating the 25% future cruise credit differently depending how the original cruise fare was paid. My understanding is that the Royal points card is a BOA credit card where the points earned can be used on Royal. When the customer redeems the points BOA pays the points value to Royal, so Royal is receiving payment for the cruise (likely not the full $1199 in this case depending on their contract with BOA), and so why treat that payment any differently than a cash/cc payment?

If it were me I would call BOA and inquire about the arrangement with Royal. Perhaps the contract specifically excludes these types of voucher payments if points are used. This might be the case but it's worth trying to find out. I would also call Royal again. It may be fruitless but nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

Now that I understand the situation, I agree with the OP that he is not being treated the same as other guests. He should receive a 25% credit for the price of his cruise, not what he actually paid. If he had taken the free cruise and not paid cash to upgrade his cabin, would he have gotten nothing for the 25% offer?

I doubt the OP is going to find anyone at BoA who will tell them the arrangement with Royal. I would send e well worded email to Adam Goldstein, I found this email address that others have used: AGoldstein@rccl.com. He won't get it, but his office will. Make sure you explain the details better than you did here and don't use the word screwed. Just say that you don't feel that you are being treated the same as others on the cruise and that you are being penalized for having used your points.

Edited by MisterBill99

I'm sort of with the others. If you got 100% of your points back, you effectively got a "free" cruise. You stated you did actually cruise, only shortened. You can use your points for a whole new cruise! It's a GREAT deal! To be honest, you seem to want monetary compensation for something you didn't pay for. How would that be fair? It seems from what you said that the "next cruise" would be at a 25% discount. So what probably happened was people were refunded the amount of the cruise and given a future cruise discount of 25% for use in the next year. Did you get the future cruise discount? If so, then you were compensated just like all others. I doubt that someone who paid $1200 for the cruise got $1200 plus 25% back in cash. They probably had their cruise cost refunded, as you did in points, and given a future cruise discount.
The issue is that his future cruise discount was $13 because it was based on whatever cash he had paid to upgrade to a better cabin, which was obviously minimal. It should have been $300, or 25% of whatever the price of his cabin was, whether it was paid in cash or points.

I agree OP is not being treated equitably; makes me wonder if RCI / BOA even have a policy on this. It is a unique event.

However, since the base cruise was paid for in points, OP, let me ask you, would you accept them settling this out for giving you 25% bonus points, or an additional 31,250 points?

I mean, I see your logic here, I don't disagree that you are owed a solution as even as everyone else got, I just don't know what it is other than to suggest asking for the bonusing of that amount of points?

I don't think they will bite at offering you $600 vs $26, but the points should value at around $300 and / or make other tiers much more attainable which has to be worth something I would think. Not sure. I don't know. What do you think?

At least that is what the cover letter called us.We were on the March 23 Navigator that was late then stuck in port due to a oil spill. We did to do a 4 day to Mexico but we're told we would get a free cruise and 25% of of our next cruise to be used in the next year. Not a bad comp to help take care of our expenses incurred,airfare,lodging and vacation used.Here is where it gets ugly to me. We used 125000 Rccl credit card points and upgraded to a balcony room. The booking confirmation shows a cruise fare of $1199.00 per person of which 25% would be just short of $300.00 each. They sent a certificate for $13.00 each and the uppers at Rccl was only going to pay the 25% of what we paid to change cabin type? I may be a little greedy but I saved for years for those points and BOA paid with the money the earned from me to Rccl for the free 7 night cruise. The call to them included a 60 minute hold,then them telling that is the way it is, and they are very sorry. Any ideas or am I wrong in feeling it's not right. Thanks Steve

We were on the same cruise. Monday night they announced the cruise was canceled. Tues morning they announced that if you wanted to leave you could but you had to pick up your car by 6pm. We left about noon. I have to book through Dialysis at Sea. I called them before we left the ship to let them know we were leaving & was told that the unused treatments would be refund. Now there story has changed - no refund. It is $1950 for a week of dialysis.

Also having problems with RCCL & getting refunds. They have credited us with $766. The cruise alone was $1251 (had two $720 voucher from a incident on Allure in Oct) so the credit is short $484. The 25% voucher should have been $312 & they sent vouchers for $151.

What a nightmare.

IMO yes, you are wrong in feeling it's not right.

RCI can only issue a credit based on funds transacted by you for the cruise. BOA points do not have a cash value per se and were not a payment by you, but credits issued by them.

The question as others have suggested is whether or not BOA will restore your points and not an unpaid value that should be credited to you by RCI. Points restored by BOA would keep you whole in conjunction with anything RCI has decided to offer for the disruption.

RCI has responded very well regarding its passengers to a situation that was completely not of their doing or in their control. RCI did not "screw" a valued guest as you indicate. I think your discussion should be with BOA.

256wcya.jpg

I understand the issue but this is Royal's problem not BofA. If they had issued a full credit then BofA wouldn't even know. It's not like there would be any points or cash transaction. If Royal wants to make it right they should just issue the full credit. No harm in asking. I guess I got hung up on the OP's comment that he 'earned' those points. Yes, he did and he got them back but I also understand the frustration.

If they were going to refund anyone the $600, shouldn't it be BOA? After all, they were the ones who actually paid the money. And in that case, I don't see where BOA has to funnel it back to you. You got your points back, which is what your transaction with BOA was based on. And you got the refund based on the dollar amount that you paid to RCI.

Cruise prices vary. If the voucher was based on price of the cruise, which varies from one person to the next, then the dollar amount of some people's refund is going to be more than the dollar amount of others based on the price THEY paid. So, it seems to me that you are being treated like everyone else. You paid a substantially smaller amount out of pocket for your cruise and you're getting the refund that corresponds to your out of pocket expense.

If you got $13 back, that means that you paid $52 each for the upgrade. $104 out of pocket total and you'd like $600 back? Or am I missing something here?

Thank you Dawg and Mr.Bill, it's good to know a few people read the facts and come up the same feelings we have.

I would keep the points and take the 25% off the cash price. Pay cash. They are not going to give you 25% of 'what you would have paid in cash'.

I think I get it now.

It wasn't a free cruise; the OP paid every time he used the card.

The cruise was paid for with real money. When a customer uses a rewards card, merchants (like me) are charged extra, over the standard percentage rate.

Last month, 15% of my transaction fees were those extra rewards costs.

RCI got paid; I think the OP deserves that 25% credit.

The problem is that the 25% is a future cruise credit with a one year deadline. So getting points wouldn't work, unless they put an expiration date and a limit they must be used for a cruise booking and not OBC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If they were going to refund anyone the $600, shouldn't it be BOA? After all, they were the ones who actually paid the money. And in that case, I don't see where BOA has to funnel it back to you. You got your points back, which is what your transaction with BOA was based on. And you got the refund based on the dollar amount that you paid to RCI.

Cruise prices vary. If the voucher was based on price of the cruise, which varies from one person to the next, then the dollar amount of some people's refund is going to be more than the dollar amount of others based on the price THEY paid.

First of all, saying the points for 25% of the cruise price paid in points should be refunded to BOA is just ridiculous. And the actual points from the cruise have already been refunded -- to the OP.

There was a price assigned to the cruise when it was booked. The value had to be $2500 or less to use the voucher. The 25% should be based on the price of the cruise when they booked. Claiming that they're only giving the 25% on the money spent above points shows a) that they haven't thought of this possibility, and b) they're trying to take advantage of the situation by not treating the customer equitably.

I would keep the points and take the 25% off the cash price. Pay cash. They are not going to give you 25% of 'what you would have paid in cash'.
Keep what points and use them for what? I don't understand what you are suggesting.

There was a price assigned to the cruise when it was booked. The value had to be $2500 or less to use the voucher. The 25% should be based on the price of the cruise when they booked. Claiming that they're only giving the 25% on the money spent above points shows a) that they haven't thought of this possibility, and b) they're trying to take advantage of the situation by not treating the customer equitably.

Keep what points and use them for what? I don't understand what you are suggesting.

I thought they had refunded his BOA points. So I am saying to keep those points for another use (other than free cruise or upgrade) and pay the price of the cruise in cash so he gets the benefit of the 25%.

Of course I could have misunderstood him as the original post was not very clear.

Edited by marci22

I thought they had refunded his BOA points. So I am saying to keep those points for another use (other than free cruise or upgrade) and pay the price of the cruise in cash so he gets the benefit of the 25%.

Of course I could have misunderstood him as the original post was not very clear.

Yes, they did refund the points. But the 25% offer was a refund based on what he spent on the cancelled cruise, not 25% off the price of the future cruise. So he only got $13 per person instead of $300.

Yes, they did refund the points. But the 25% offer was a refund based on what he spent on the cancelled cruise, not 25% off the price of the future cruise. So he only got $13 per person instead of $300.

ok now I understand.

I think they should give him a 25% FCC based on the value of his purchase, not how much cash he actually paid. I assume that everyone else got their original cash back and 25% FCC.

But I'm not super sure about this as my head hurts.

Edited by marci22