Royal Caribbean credit card

We have the credit card (opened for our first cruise) really don't use the card at all so this is my question ... If I use the card to pay for my royal cruise do I get double points? Say cruise is $5,000 would you get 10,000 points and then a 100 obc?? Thanks for any help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have had the card for years. All you need to do is make any purchase and after that month, you will automatically get 10k points and can cash those in for a $100 OBC. And yes, I do believe every dollar you spend with RCI is double points.

We have the credit card (opened for our first cruise) really don't use the card at all so this is my question ... If I use the card to pay for my royal cruise do I get double points? Say cruise is $5,000 would you get 10,000 points and then a 100 obc?? Thanks for any help!!

Yes, as mentioned above, you get double points for paying for your cruise. Other double points charges: things you book before the cruise, such as excursions, specialty dining, drink packages, etc., also on board charges if you secure the SeaPass account with the Royal Visa Card. Choice Air charges also accrue double points.

Thank you!! We normally use our marriott card but this just seems like a great way to get 100 obc!! Thanks for your other tips too!! Now to see if our card is still active and if our last cruise to Norway was less then 5 years ago (we may have points from that)!!

Thank you!! We normally use our marriott card but this just seems like a great way to get 100 obc!! Thanks for your other tips too!! Now to see if our card is still active and if our last cruise to Norway was less then 5 years ago (we may have points from that)!!

Remember, points expire 5 years after you earn them.

Remember, points expire 5 years after you earn them.

Do all points expire after 5 years? We last cruised in Oct '09. Cruising again in November of this year. Currently have like 40,000 points which is $400 obc I want to use on this cruise. Should I redeem them before October so I won't lose them?

We are calling credit card company tomorrow to see what points we have but our Norway cruise was 4 years ago and we cruise to Alaska in a few months! I don't know if we even have points... But you should call the credit card company I would think!! Good luck! That's a lot of obc!! I wonder if you need to use them within 5 years?

Do all points expire after 5 years? We last cruised in Oct '09. Cruising again in November of this year. Currently have like 40,000 points which is $400 obc I want to use on this cruise. Should I redeem them before October so I won't lose them?

Each month, points that were earned 60 months ago are lost. If you earned all the points in Oct 09, then it's best to redeem them soon. You can redeem them now and apply them to the November cruise, as long as its already booked.

We are calling credit card company tomorrow to see what points we have but our Norway cruise was 4 years ago and we cruise to Alaska in a few months! I don't know if we even have points... But you should call the credit card company I would think!! Good luck! That's a lot of obc!! I wonder if you need to use them within 5 years?

You need to apply the points to a cruise booking before they expire, but the sail date itself can be beyond the 5 year limit.

Each month, points that were earned 60 months ago are lost. If you earned all the points in Oct 09, then it's best to redeem them soon. You can redeem them now and apply them to the November cruise, as long as its already booked.

The points are spread out throughout the 4 1/2 years of our last cruise so if we lose a month or two she should still be good to get the $400 obc.

My sister called last week to apply for a card. The rep told her to get the card that can be used for both RC and Celebrity. Anyone know how this works? Are these points interchangeable? Thanks.

I believe there's only one card now, and the points can be earned and used on Royal, Celebrity, and Azamara.

The interest rate is a non issue as you need to pay the card balance off every month for the rewards to mean anything, otherwise you should not have the card. Also people should read the terms and conditions for their card, its online

We have been able to save $300 ($150 per person) by using 15000 points to upgrade from inside to oceanview on two separate 6-8 day cruises, thereby doubling the points value. The upgrade amount is based on the difference between an inside room and an oceanview room and it can be applied even for balcony and higher categories.

We thought it was a good deal to be able to maximize the points earned.

I believe there's only one card now, and the points can be earned and used on Royal, Celebrity, and Azamara.

There is a royal card and a celebrity card, and two flavors of each (one free, one with an annual fee). You can earn double points on any of the cards on RCI, X, or Azamara and redeem them on any of the lines (see the rewards listings on any of the sites). If you have more than one of the cards you cannot combine the points though.

We have had an RCI card for years, just did the free upgrade to a signature card. We picked up the celebrity card last year when they had a special of 3x points when paying for something thru celebrity (we had our upcoming cruise) and an additional number of points if you charged $5k within 60 days. That made having the additional card worthwhile.

Steve

We have used the card for years. No interest when you pay the balance off every month. We have a special savings account and every time we use the credit card we transfer the money over to the separate savings account when the bill comes in just pay it off. We buy groceries, gas, pay every RCCL on it and lot's of other things. We go on every cruise with on board cash so that our final bill at the end of the cruise is close to nothing. Our last cruise was 8 nights and our final bill was $133.00 that included $400.00 for two next cruise certificates. We came back and have on board credit already accrued for our next cruise. Of course you have to be regimented and make sure every time you charge something you transfer the funds to the credit card savings account. It works great for us. I always tell people the card works for us not us working for the card.

Sharon I

Very similar we put every purchase/bill we can through the card, used $1000 OBC at Thanksgiving and already have 90K pts again :)

Looking at switching to Barclaycard though ... think its called my arrival gives 2% back on all purchases rather than RCI only on RCI purchases.

We have used the card for years. No interest when you pay the balance off every month. We have a special savings account and every time we use the credit card we transfer the money over to the separate savings account when the bill comes in just pay it off. We buy groceries, gas, pay every RCCL on it and lot's of other things. We go on every cruise with on board cash so that our final bill at the end of the cruise is close to nothing. Our last cruise was 8 nights and our final bill was $133.00 that included $400.00 for two next cruise certificates. We came back and have on board credit already accrued for our next cruise. Of course you have to be regimented and make sure every time you charge something you transfer the funds to the credit card savings account. It works great for us. I always tell people the card works for us not us working for the card.

Sharon I

That sounds like a great way to do use the credit card when you would other wise be using your Mac card to pay for something and than just move move around in your account.

One other thing must these points must the value be included in you taxes?

Very similar we put every purchase/bill we can through the card, used $1000 OBC at Thanksgiving and already have 90K pts again :)

Looking at switching to Barclaycard though ... think its called my arrival gives 2% back on all purchases rather than RCI only on RCI purchases.

You can get up to 4% back using the Royal card, if you use it for Royal purchases only, and redeem the "free" types of rewards, like free cruise, free companion fare, etc.

You can get up to 4% back using the Royal card, if you use it for Royal purchases only, and redeem the "free" types of rewards, like free cruise, free companion fare, etc.

Clarea,

What has been your experience when redeeming the points for free companion fares? Do they re-price the fare of your current cabin when applying the OV fare credit?

Clarea,

What has been your experience when redeeming the points for free companion fares? Do they re-price the fare of your current cabin when applying the OV fare credit?

Unfortunately, whenever I've used the "free cruise" redemption, the price of the cruise did not change. So I've never had the opportunity to see what they would do in the case of a price drop.

Edited by clarea