Couple of questions - new cruiser

hi

we are cruising in 21days on the independence of the seas and have a couple of questions

the premium drinks package - does that include spirit and mixer drinks? it only says cocktails as does the ultimate package? My other half likes his rum and cola!

also i assume the indoor areas have air conditioning? is it chilly at night? we are off round Europe so will be hot out and about but but wondering the ship will be cold inside?

sorry if these are silly questions but been playing on my mind :):)

thank you

Yes, premium package includes spirits, I think the confusion comes because a lot of Americans call a mixed drink(eg. rum and coke) a cocktail. If you search 'premium package' there are threads on here where people have actually listed all the included drinks.

The ship is air conditioned, personally I have always found it to be a pleasant temperature whatever the weather outside, but I have heard people say that they take a wrap/cardigan for the evenings in the restaurants and lounges. The only place I have ever needed something is while watching the ice show (understandably)

In the cabin there is a dial where you can control your own room temperature.

Julie

Also does anyone have experience of the kids clubs? The kids are 7 and 8 and are super excited about the family time dining already but what about through the day is there activities, as well as the pool?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...also i assume the indoor areas have air conditioning? is it chilly at night? we are off round Europe so will be hot out and about but but wondering the ship will be cold inside?...

My wife typically wears a light sweater in the theater.

There is nothing like your first cruise, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You can make it as relaxing or as busy as you want and so can the rest of your family. Our girls were grown when we started cruising so no experience with AO but I always hear kids talking about how much fun they have had. I say read as much as you can on this board and you can get lots of information from the experienced AND new cruisers, everyone had a different take on things. Ask away...and enjoy your first cruise, it can be very addictive.

Thank you for your replies

One last question for just now - in the main dining room is the menu very posh? My partner is a huge fusspot and doesn't really like a lot to eat but we have put ourselves forward for the my family dining and would live to use it some nights - is there variety to the menu?

Thanks

One last question for just now - in the main dining room is the menu very posh? My partner is a huge fusspot and doesn't really like a lot to eat but we have put ourselves forward for the my family dining and would live to use it some nights - is there variety to the menu?

Thanks

Main Dining Room menus:

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/download-press-kit/7/

Thanks

There will be several entrees to choose from every night. There are also a few items that are available every night like a steak or a pasta dish. The great thing about the dining room is you can each as much or as little as you want. When we first started cruising there were many options on the menu that I had never tried before. I ordered it. If I didn't like it, I simply ordered something else and they brought it right out. Tell your partner to try different things, you never know what you'll like until you try it.

There is quite a variety in the MDR, from fish, chicken, and beef, to vegetarian and healthy options. Try something new, I found the incredible chilled soups on the menu and they are a favorite. You can order more than one item too, if you cannot decide between two appetizers order both. There have been times when I had three appetizers as a meal. The wait staff are usually very helpful and friendly.

If you just want something plain you can always get steak, chicken breast or salmon and ask for baked potato or chips on the side.

As a Brit there are never enough vegetables for me, they will always bring a bowl of mixed vegetables. Within reason the waitstaff will do what they can to please you.

Julie

i hope they have some - i love veggies

do we need to take dollars too for tipping?

You may take dollars if you wish to tip extra, but all tips are already included on your account.

I have read about the gratuities - do they give you a bill at the end of the cruise?

We opted out as we were told we could tip as when we wanted to people who had served us well

Is this not the case?

I have read about the gratuities - do they give you a bill at the end of the cruise?

We opted out as we were told we could tip as when we wanted to people who had served us well

Is this not the case?

If you do not prepay gratuities, they are automatically added to your onboard account on a dialy basis. You can visit Guest Services during the cruise if you want to opt out of the automatic gratuities.

Edited by clarea