What Happens to OBC when Canceling?

audcc77

I fell down & have fractured my foot & sprained my arm so crutches are not an option. We leave in 3 wks but I do not want to cancel our cruise unless I have to.

I bought insurance so everything is reimbursed if we decided to cancel up to 24 hrs in advance.

My question is: I have $260 in OBC. Where does that go?

I'd like to move this cruise to August if possible.

Thanks for any insight.

It's likely that you'll lose the OBC unless it is from a FCC or Stock.

Please consider renting a knee scooter from your local medical supply place.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=7IUtnMRkcn52AM&tbnid=HUETzI38mFQaJM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.goodbyecrutches.com%2Fturning-knee-scooter&ei=Xrl0U5P2MsGgqAbVqYKgBQ&bvm=bv.66699033,d.b2k&psig=AFQjCNGXHT57mgpg7u7JCo9Hesrq2IFwUQ&ust=1400244763649500

I used one for 6 weeks after my foot surgery and my mobility was hardly impaired at all.

Edited by okgirl

Ruthless:

My OBC comes from switching to ES when it became available for an add'l $40. Since I've now gotten $260 back in OBC, that proved to be a good bet.

Since that OBC is just money I'm getting back on my original purchase price, I'm hoping the insurance company will reimburse me. My insurance was purchased through a private company.

OKgirl:

Wow, that is quite a niffy contraption. Our 13 y/o son runs off with my walker all the time so I can just imagine what he'd do with this thing. I'll look into it though. Thanks for your suggestion.

I've bought trip insurance many years and if I cash in on this one trip, then it will have paid for many times I've purchased but never used it.

It is an small fracture so hopefully I'll be up & walking w/ no boot & no problems within 3 weeks . . . or perhaps I'm just in denial. :)

Be sure to read the fine print of your trip insurance policy. Unless you have a cancel for any reason policy, to cancel for a medical reason usually requires a doctor to sign off that you CANNOT travel because of your medical condition. (They won't pay just because you have a medical issue and don't feel like traveling anymore.) I doubt that your condition qualifies. Many policies also require you to cancel very soon after you become aware of the need to cancel rather than waiting a few weeks to decide.

Edited by D4

Be sure to read the fine print of your trip insurance policy. Unless you have a cancel for any reason policy, to cancel for a medical reason usually requires a doctor to sign off that you CANNOT travel because of your medical condition. (They won't pay just because you have a medical issue and don't feel like traveling anymore.) I doubt that your condition qualifies. Many policies also require you to cancel very soon after you become aware of the need to cancel rather than waiting a few weeks to decide.

I doubt if a doctor would sign off your condition either. You ARE able to travel, but with some possible inconvenience.

I've preserved cruseline-provided OBC by moving a reservation, but that wasn't with Carnival (Royal).

If Carnival has to cancel and rebook then I would expect you to lose it; if they can transfer it then maybe you'll keep it. With Royal my original booking number stays the same with a transfer, which is probably why the benefit (usually an onboard booking bonus) stays (at least it did in the past, they may have changed that recently).

I doubt if a doctor would sign off your condition either. You ARE able to travel, but with some possible inconvenience.

I disagree I'm sure a doctor would sign off. It's not like she was going to the beach she was leaving the stinking country lots of doctors would see the danger if she fell again and would. Not want her to travel plus what do they loose writing her a doctors note..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I disagree I'm sure a doctor would sign off. It's not like she was going to the beach she was leaving the stinking country lots of doctors would see the danger if she fell again and would. Not want her to travel plus what do they loose writing her a doctors note..

I think it would be hard to find a doctor that would sign off, but I'm sure one could be found. I speak from experience being an RN and working directly with physicians who encounter these type of requests on a semi-regular basis so that people don't lose out on money. It can be considered fraud if a MD signs off on a doctors note where it really isn't medically necessary, such as in this case where it is an inconvenience but OP is perfect able and stable to travel based on the condition, so in reality the doctor has A LOT to lose such as their license and therefore their livelihood. Realistically would an insurance company look that deep into a doctor's note and the situation? Probably not.

If your cancellation is qualified under your policy your insurance should refund the money you can show that you gave to Carnival minus any amount you are able to get refunded from Carnival or use for another cruise. Same goes for any other covered expenses flights, hotels, etc.

The OBC from price drops goes away, but since it came from price drops you should get it back as a full refund of your original payments.

I think it would be hard to find a doctor that would sign off, but I'm sure one could be found. I speak from experience being an RN and working directly with physicians who encounter these type of requests on a semi-regular basis so that people don't lose out on money. It can be considered fraud if a MD signs off on a doctors note where it really isn't medically necessary, such as in this case where it is an inconvenience but OP is perfect able and stable to travel based on the condition, so in reality the doctor has A LOT to lose such as their license and therefore their livelihood. Realistically would an insurance company look that deep into a doctor's note and the situation? Probably not.

I too assessed what the OP wrote (I'm an R.N. also). She has 3 more weeks till sailing. Unless there's more injury than we know about, she should be able to go, and she wants to go. Will it be perfect as originally planned? No, but almost. I say go. You will see people on board with lifelong disabilities and you won't feel so bad after that.

I too assessed what the OP wrote (I'm an R.N. also). She has 3 more weeks till sailing. Unless there's more injury than we know about, she should be able to go, and she wants to go. Will it be perfect as originally planned? No, but almost. I say go. You will see people on board with lifelong disabilities and you won't feel so bad after that.

I totally agree! I wouldn't miss it even if I was hobbling around :p I've seen many patients with those scooters though and they really can whip around without any difficulty, I would definitely look into that as an option if you're worried about ambulating around the ship.

Hmm. I was just curious if anyone has ever canceled and gotten their full amount back, including OBC, since that was the full amount that I paid into it.

Again, I'm hoping for the best but am preparing for the worst case scenario.

Hmm. I was just curious if anyone has ever canceled and gotten their full amount back, including OBC, since that was the full amount that I paid into it.

Again, I'm hoping for the best but am preparing for the worst case scenario.

You'll need to read your travel insurance policy. I'm sure different companies have different ways of dealing with claims.

That being said, you should be eligible to get back what you've paid, if it is a valid claim, but again, it would be subject to the policy terms and conditions. There's really no "one size fits all" answer for this.

I don't see how it would be considered fraud she had a injury to her shoulder and ankle and a fall in a 3rd world country that could lead to treatment outside of the us I would say a lot of doctors would be concerned like I said before if it was a beach vacation no problem but leaving the country is a different story i would say if she's under treatment from any doctor she would be okay now if she called a random doctor up trying to find a way out that's another story She has a real injury

I don't see how it would be considered fraud she had a injury to her shoulder and ankle and a fall in a 3rd world country that could lead to treatment outside of the us I would say a lot of doctors would be concerned like I said before if it was a beach vacation no problem but leaving the country is a different story i would say if she's under treatment from any doctor she would be okay now if she called a random doctor up trying to find a way out that's another story She has a real injury

Maybe the doctor would not recommend leaving the house;) Oh, wait, you can fall there too:eek:

I also work for a group of orthopedic surgeons and they would sign a note if she did not feel safe on a rocking boat, out of the country. It's a legitimate injury with legitimate consequences if she falls again. I do physical therapy where I work and OP 3 weeks is NOT enough time for even a small bone fx to heal for full weighty bearing. Sorry :( but I second the scooter. Maybe the arm will heal enough for a boot and crutches though. I say go, sit in the sun with a drink and just relax.

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

Because that isn't necessarily reason enough to not travel. It is absolutely a real injury, there is no doubt about that.

Edited by Krissica

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps someone else will run into this issue, so I thought I’d come back and answer my own question, which was “What happens to my $260 in OBC if I cancel?” I ended up with $260 in OBC because of price drops, so essentially I was just getting back money that I paid out due to price-matching.

I contacted Carnival & spoke w/ a supervisor. She basically redid my reservation and took away the OBC and put it back on to show what I paid. I then submitted the paperwork to the insurance company.

I bought “standard gold” insurance, such as death/injury/trip interruption. This was $159 for 4 people for an 8-day cruise for 2 cabins. My orthopedist had no problems signing the insurance paper b/c he did not think I should go, despite my grumbling. There were some unhappy people at my house.

I had concerns about canceling because I was afraid if the insurance company did not give me money back, then I would not know this until after my sail date had gone by. I talked with the insurance company and said “I am reluctant to cancel because I don’t want you guys saying that I could have gone on vacation in a wheelchair, and then deny my claim.” The guy said “No – that’s not what trip insurance is about. If you are not able to walk around due to an injury and have fun on your trip, then that’s whole point.” So I cancelled.

At any rate, I did get the appropriate amount of money back from the insurance company (it only took a few days to receive it, even though they said 30 days), and since I was in the 75% penalty phase, I did receive the other 25 % back from Carnival. There are some take-aways that I thought I would share in case anyone else runs into this:

* Be careful as to the exact date on which your doctor tells you that you should not travel, and the date on which you actually do cancel. This is important because … had I waited until the 100% penalty phase (a few days before the cruise), there would have been a possibility the insurance company would have only reimbursed me 75% because the doctor told me not to go during the 75% penalty phase. The insurance form actually asks “the date on which your doctor told you not to travel: ____”.

* Be sure to save all credit card statements. I had to submit all credit card statements which showed deposits/payments submitted to Carnival. This was a pain because I made several payments over several months on several credit cards taking advantage of these credit card rebates. Thank goodness those credit cards were still active because I don’t save the statements.

* If you book a “non-refundable” hotel room, and you just move it to another date (we rescheduled our cruise), then there may be only a $25 admin fee, rather than losing the whole amount. We used Hampton Inn. The insurance company reimbursed me the $25 admin fee.

* Seek the assistance of a supervisor at Carnival. It is to Carnival’s advantage to help supply you with paperwork, etc., and they are more than glad to do it.

I’ve purchased trip insurance many times over the years, to the tune of probably $1K. Had I lost the amount of this trip, it would have been $3K since I was in the 75% penalty phase, so I’m sure glad I had it. The insurance company only had my paperwork for two days before sending my check, so I’m pleased with how it all turned out.

Hopefully our August cruise will happen. I’ve been feeling pretty guilty these days.

Perhaps someone else will run into this issue, so I thought I’d come back and answer my own question, which was “What happens to my $260 in OBC if I cancel?” I ended up with $260 in OBC because of price drops, so essentially I was just getting back money that I paid out due to price-matching.

I contacted Carnival & spoke w/ a supervisor. She basically redid my reservation and took away the OBC and put it back on to show what I paid. I then submitted the paperwork to the insurance company.

I bought “standard gold” insurance, such as death/injury/trip interruption. This was $159 for 4 people for an 8-day cruise for 2 cabins. My orthopedist had no problems signing the insurance paper b/c he did not think I should go, despite my grumbling. There were some unhappy people at my house.

I had concerns about canceling because I was afraid if the insurance company did not give me money back, then I would not know this until after my sail date had gone by. I talked with the insurance company and said “I am reluctant to cancel because I don’t want you guys saying that I could have gone on vacation in a wheelchair, and then deny my claim.” The guy said “No – that’s not what trip insurance is about. If you are not able to walk around due to an injury and have fun on your trip, then that’s whole point.” So I cancelled.

At any rate, I did get the appropriate amount of money back from the insurance company (it only took a few days to receive it, even though they said 30 days), and since I was in the 75% penalty phase, I did receive the other 25 % back from Carnival. There are some take-aways that I thought I would share in case anyone else runs into this:

* Be careful as to the exact date on which your doctor tells you that you should not travel, and the date on which you actually do cancel. This is important because … had I waited until the 100% penalty phase (a few days before the cruise), there would have been a possibility the insurance company would have only reimbursed me 75% because the doctor told me not to go during the 75% penalty phase. The insurance form actually asks “the date on which your doctor told you not to travel: ____”.

* Be sure to save all credit card statements. I had to submit all credit card statements which showed deposits/payments submitted to Carnival. This was a pain because I made several payments over several months on several credit cards taking advantage of these credit card rebates. Thank goodness those credit cards were still active because I don’t save the statements.

* If you book a “non-refundable” hotel room, and you just move it to another date (we rescheduled our cruise), then there may be only a $25 admin fee, rather than losing the whole amount. We used Hampton Inn. The insurance company reimbursed me the $25 admin fee.

* Seek the assistance of a supervisor at Carnival. It is to Carnival’s advantage to help supply you with paperwork, etc., and they are more than glad to do it.

I’ve purchased trip insurance many times over the years, to the tune of probably $1K. Had I lost the amount of this trip, it would have been $3K since I was in the 75% penalty phase, so I’m sure glad I had it. The insurance company only had my paperwork for two days before sending my check, so I’m pleased with how it all turned out.

Hopefully our August cruise will happen. I’ve been feeling pretty guilty these days.

$159 for four people is a good price for insurance for two cabins booked for an 8 day cruise. Must not have been Carnival's insurance.