Non-USA persons "inspection" before San Diego Disembarkation?

jarand

[quote name='cruz chic']I would also like to see some evidence that it doesn't. I don't believe for one second that they tell them ok, send down deck 5. Or send send down deck 2. Since you have many friends on board maybe one of them could provide info that they have no say in it. I find it hard to believe they want to have 500 people standing in line at once.[/QUOTE]

We were on deck eight and were advised by a friend to go down as soon as they made the first call for deck one I at 6:30 AM. We did and were in and out in fifteen minutes. Nobody cared about what deck we were on.
Later it turned into a zoo because the cruise director called for all remaining non Americans to come down when he meant to call deck five. By the time he made the correction five minutes later the damage had been done. They were swamped.

This was on the Zuiderdam earlier this month on the Panama repo cruise.

[quote name='Chelly']I didn't realize disembarking in San Diego could be such a headache.

For what time should I book my flight out of San Diego after disembarking next year's Panama Canal cruise?[/QUOTE]

If I were disembarking in San Diego I would check into a hotel and fly out the next day to relieve any stress.
I have seen disembarkation there delayed until 10:45AM. This was on the Oosterdam in 2010.

[quote name='sapper1']We were on deck eight and were advised by a friend to go down as soon as they made the first call for deck one I at 6:30 AM. We did and were in and out in fifteen minutes. Nobody cared about what deck we were on. [/QUOTE]

What a good idea - we did something similar on the Volendam (in the Far East) - we went about 2 decks before ours was called, figuring that by the time we got to the front of the line, they would be calling our deck anyway. It worked, but I did notice that one of the HAL employees was checking room cards and decks.

Chelly, my DD said her flight was at 1:15, and no problem, she was on the first transfer bus. She said probably anyone with a flight before 11 would not have made it. (But she's Canadian, so perhaps did get through sooner than the Americans - do they hold everyone up until everyone has cleared, or just until the non-U.S. pax clear?)

[quote name='Chelly']Thank you for your responses Sapper1 and Vict0riana. I will only be flying into El Paso, not a long flight from San Diego. I guess I'll be giving this some thought.[/QUOTE]

We did the Panama Canal on the Veendam last Oct/Nov. We heard MANY calls for XXX & XXX from room XXXX to report for processing. We (US citizens) were finally cleared for disembarkment around 10:15. There were at least 2 parties that I know of who missed their flights out of SD that day.

[quote name='Vict0riann']What a good idea - we did something similar on the Volendam (in the Far East) - we went about 2 decks before ours was called, figuring that by the time we got to the front of the line, they would be calling our deck anyway. It worked, but I did notice that one of the HAL employees was checking room cards and decks.

Chelly, my DD said her flight was at 1:15, and no problem, she was on the first transfer bus. She said probably anyone with a flight before 11 would not have made it. (But she's Canadian, so perhaps did get through sooner than the Americans - do they hold everyone up until everyone has cleared, or just until the non-U.S. pax clear?)[/QUOTE]

My past experience was that nobody got off until all non Americans were cleared. This time a sticker was put on our room cards when we cleared. Later they were disembarking passengers while the immigration process was still going on. If you had a sticker on your room card you could leave. That was the first time I have seen that done.

[quote name='Shmoo here']We did the Panama Canal on the Veendam last Oct/Nov. We heard MANY calls for XXX & XXX from room XXXX to report for processing. We (US citizens) were finally cleared for disembarkment around 10:15. There were at least 2 parties that I know of who missed their flights out of SD that day.[/QUOTE]

Okey dokey. That helps. I'll live dangerously and try to book a flight around 1:30 p.m.

[quote name='sapper1']We were on deck eight and were advised by a friend to go down as soon as they made the first call for deck one I at 6:30 AM. We did and were in and out in fifteen minutes. Nobody cared about what deck we were on.
Later it turned into a zoo because the cruise director called for all remaining non Americans to come down when he meant to call deck five. By the time he made the correction five minutes later the damage had been done. They were swamped.

This was on the Zuiderdam earlier this month on the Panama repo cruise.[/QUOTE]

Sapper, you must be very confused. Hal doesn't control it :D:p:D. I was sitting in the pinnacle when the started calling deck one from what I could hear on my Westy cruise. Some Americans sitting near me said no, they called all non USA pax. I was right in the middle of brekie at 6:40 am. They were not suppose to start until 7. I went and of course they were wrong but I did get thru in a hurry. Edited by cruz chic

[quote name='Chelly']Okey dokey. That helps. I'll live dangerously and try to book a flight around 1:30 p.m.[/QUOTE]

Just to be on the safe side I would for sure not book any earlier. Things could be great and you could be fine much earlier. A lot of us have done this port before and know how ugly it can be.

[quote name='cruz chic']Just to be on the safe side I would for sure not book any earlier. Things could be great and you could be fine much earlier. A lot of us have done this port before and know how ugly it can be.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the good advise, my cruise friend. I intend to take it. :D

[quote name='nana51']I have disembarked 4 times at San Diego and I'm a Canadian citizen. I've never been off later than 8:30. I've never had a problem.[/QUOTE]

I've probably taken 20 cruises to and from San Diego and have never been off that early. Can it happen? I'm sure it can. Hearing that, people book early flights and then miss them. I don't have any sympathy. This is why I stay overnight in San Diego. I work and I don't want to burn up another holiday. But I also don't want to wave to my plane. Edited by cruz chic

[quote name='sapper1']My past experience was that nobody got off until all non Americans were cleared. This time a sticker was put on our room cards when we cleared. Later they were disembarking passengers while the immigration process was still going on. If you had a sticker on your room card you could leave. That was the first time I have seen that done.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. Next April we will follow your example. Maybe we can get to the zoo after all!

[quote name='cruz chic']I've probably taken 20 cruises to and from San Diego and have never been off that early. Can it happen? I'm sure it can. Hearing that, people book early flights and then miss them. I don't have any sympathy. This is why I stay overnight in San Diego. I work and I don't want to burn up another holiday. But I also don't want to wave to my plane.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Way too stressful for me...then I turn into a bad parent :o and say things I don't mean. This time it will only be DH leaving the ship in SD and I have made him very clear what I think about it. :rolleyes: ;)

We went through this twice. Once was in San Diego. Not sure where the second time was...San Juan? All I can remember is that we had to present ourselves at 6:45. And there was lots and lots of 'paging'. Edited by iancal