Non-USA persons "inspection" before San Diego Disembarkation?

jarand

Much of the delay is caused by guests that are non compliant with the process. They are notified of the process yet they don't appear when called. This just backs up the whole disembarkation process. I am sure we have all been waiting to leave a ship and certain names and cabin numbers are called repeatedly. If you read Bill and Mary Ann's blog they talked about this when they were getting off the Amsterdam in SD. No matter how organized HAL is and how easy they try to make it for all passengers if some people don't comply with the process it delays everyone else.

Was talking to a visitor in Vancouver a few days ago who had come off a HAL ship, and they mentioned that when the ship had to clear in San Diego, the cruise director mistakenly old ALL non-US passengers to report to (wherever it was that the immigration officers were) instead of specifying by deck. It resulted in a mass exodus because the majority of passengers were Canadians, and apparently it was total chaos and quite dangerously crowded, and someone passed out and the medics had to fight their way through. So evidently the ship does carry responsibility for the process.

I believe Sapper reported that people were leaving the ship in San Diego before all non US were cleared. I don't understand how that could happen. It has been a hot mess many, many times. This is why people should not book early flights. Coming into San Diego I came very close to missing a 2PM flight. Yes, 2 PM, this is not a typo. This was a few years ago.

I agree -- I don't understand how that could happen. We have always had to stay on the ship until the announcement was made that the ship was cleared and disembarking began.

On that one cruise I mentioned, several of the excursions for people staying on the ship were cancelled as they could not guarantee that the tour would end in time for people to be back on the ship for departure.

We wanted to spend some time walking around Seaport Village -- all we got to do by the time we got off the ship and took the bus down to there was to have lunch.

Being a Canadian and one who will have to deal with this next year, I have to confess this is the one part of our cruise I am dreading. I am not even going to tell DH what we might face in this port.

I have been through Non US immigration ports before and overall, they are not handled well. We end up getting up early and waiting and waiting.

What DH does not know will not hurt him for now and I will just play dumb.

I envy the US passengers on the ports with San Diego, a lot less grief for sure;)

I wonder why that's the case ?

Meaning? Now I'm being flamed. I make friends with people that I find interesting. I don't make friends with people because they are officers. I see how some people fawn over them. That doesn't interest me.

Edited by cruz chic

Being a Canadian and one who will have to deal with this next year, I have to confess this is the one part of our cruise I am dreading. I am not even going to tell DH what we might face in this port.

I have been through Non US immigration ports before and overall, they are not handled well. We end up getting up early and waiting and waiting.

I envy the US passengers on the ports with San Diego, a lot less grief for sure;)

Let him be surprised:D.

Much of the delay is caused by guests that are non compliant with the process. They are notified of the process yet they don't appear when called. This just backs up the whole disembarkation process. I am sure we have all been waiting to leave a ship and certain names and cabin numbers are called repeatedly. If you read Bill and Mary Ann's blog they talked about this when they were getting off the Amsterdam in SD. No matter how organized HAL is and how easy they try to make it for all passengers if some people don't comply with the process it delays everyone else.

Yes, of course that is the reason. When I've left the ship in port Everglades it's been done in the terminal. So much more efficient. No way to hide then. I'm always happy when it doesn't take more than an hour. I have heard some a Americas complain when it's been 10 minutes.

Edited by cruz chic

Was talking to a visitor in Vancouver a few days ago who had come off a HAL ship' date=' and they mentioned that when the ship had to clear in San Diego, the cruise director mistakenly old ALL non-US passengers to report to (wherever it was that the immigration officers were) instead of specifying by deck. It resulted in a mass exodus because the majority of passengers were Canadians, and apparently it was total chaos and quite dangerously crowded, and [i']someone passed out and the medics had to fight their way through[/i]. So evidently the ship does carry responsibility for the process.

Bolding mine.

That is shameful. Completely inexcusable.

bolding mine

You might want to start practicing your "surprised beyond belief" face now ;)

LOL! Well, I can't keep it a secret because my DH heard all about it from our DD who recently disembarked from the Statendam in SD after the Aztec whatever cruise. She said: "It seemed very unorganized, and my supposed 9:15 departure ended up at 9:45 and then I sat in the bus at the port for half an hour. I had lots of time so wasn't worried, but others were stressing. It just wasn't the best organized. Lots of people said they would get different answers from different people on simple (seemingly) questions, and that sort of thing. Still, was good fun. And the other **** thing was this morning, non-Americans had to clear customs on board the ship before anyone could get off, and my assigned time was 7:30. I went there, then went to the Lido to eat but ended up walking a bit and saying goodbye to a few folks and trading email addresses. Next thing I realize, they closed the breakfast service at 8 on the side I was on, so I went to the other side and it was closed too! Have they ever done that before? I can't recall that happening. So I sat around till 9:30 with just a little croissant in me, fading away!" (Poor baby!)

I'm not sure how she was flying (going to Toronto), but she got there around midnight, I think.

bolding mine

You might want to start practicing your "surprised beyond belief" face now ;)

I am not good at that. I guess I had better start practicing:p:D

I really am dreading this port in all honesty. I read the reports of people who have to endure it with great interest. I never thought I would be there and now here we go.

I will start practicing real soon

LOL! Well, I can't keep it a secret because my DH heard all about it from our DD who recently disembarked from the Statendam in SD after the Aztec whatever cruise. She said: "It seemed very unorganized, and my supposed 9:15 departure ended up at 9:45 and then I sat in the bus at the port for half an hour. I had lots of time so wasn't worried, but others were stressing. It just wasn't the best organized. Lots of people said they would get different answers from different people on simple (seemingly) questions, and that sort of thing. Still, was good fun. And the other **** thing was this morning, non-Americans had to clear customs on board the ship before anyone could get off, and my assigned time was 7:30. I went there, then went to the Lido to eat but ended up walking a bit and saying goodbye to a few folks and trading email addresses. Next thing I realize, they closed the breakfast service at 8 on the side I was on, so I went to the other side and it was closed too! Have they ever done that before? I can't recall that happening. So I sat around till 9:30 with just a little croissant in me, fading away!" (Poor baby!)

I'm not sure how she was flying (going to Toronto), but she got there around midnight, I think.

The brekie hours are always earlier on debark. Generally they should be shown on the back of the cruise log.

[quote name='kazu']I am not good at that. I guess I had better start practicing:p:D

I really am dreading this port in all honesty. I read the reports of people who have to endure it with great interest. I never thought I would be there and now here we go.

I will start practicing real soon[/QUOTE]

But I love San Diego - if we can just survive the arrival part! I feel so bad right now that they are having such terrible fires. I hope the Zoo and the Wild Animal Park are alright - and of course all the other residents as well.

[quote name='candbgirl']Much of the delay is caused by guests that are non compliant with the process. They are notified of the process yet they don't appear when called. This just backs up the whole disembarkation process. I am sure we have all been waiting to leave a ship and certain names and cabin numbers are called repeatedly. If you read Bill and Mary Ann's blog they talked about this when they were getting off the Amsterdam in SD. No matter how organized HAL is and how easy they try to make it for all passengers if some people don't comply with the process it delays everyone else.[/QUOTE]

This has always been the case when I have disembarked in San Diego.
People do not show up when the are suppose too.

You can hear the pain in the cruise director's voice when they continue to announce the passenger's name and cabin number after 3 or 4 times. One time we did not get off the ship til 10:00.

This has been the only port where it has been an issue.

I believe it is because San Diego does not have the room for the inspection to be held on the pier as in most of the other American Ports.
Though, It seems like this is a very slow process at the port for non
U.S. citizens. I also agree that it is sad when a few people hold up all
the other to get off the ship.

[quote name='sammygoose']Quick question- Do they set up a nexxus kiosk? I see them everywhere and I am from Canada and going to apply. I watch people breeze past the lines all the time. Money well spent IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I don't think any cruise ports have NEXUS kiosks.

Roy

[quote name='rafinmd']I don't think any cruise ports have NEXUS kiosks.

Roy[/QUOTE]

I have a nexus card and I've never seen them at any of the ports I've been too. I find that the nexus card helps me get thru airports in canada quickly but it doesn't do a thing is the USA.

While all "trusted traveler" documentation (Global Entry, Nexxus, Sentri, etc) [B]are[/B] allowed by CBP in lieu of passports for [B]US citizens on closed loop cruises strictly within the Western Hemisphere[/B], most cruise line agents will not know what to do when presented with one, and because there are no kiosks in the port terminals, it will not expedite disembarkation clearance.

If you are a non US citizen but are not leaving the voyage in SD will you need to present to USA officials? My thinking is yes as the ship is in USA waters.

[quote name='1of4']If you are a non US citizen but are not leaving the voyage in SD will you need to present to USA officials? My thinking is yes as the ship is in USA waters.[/QUOTE]

I believe so --U.S. citizens doing back to back also report to Customs aboard. I agree with what many have said, if the people who are directed to report would do so when told -- it would likely go smooth as silk.

Although on the other hand -- a couple of years ago on the Zuiderdam we were told several days before arrival that Customs had decided not to send enough agents to handle the three ships in port. We were chosen to be the last ship to be processed and, they didn't even start until 11:00. There were some missed flights. Edited by CRUZBUDS