Rainy, breezy weather sailing next Sat out of Boston

glm7777

EEEK!! I'm a little concerned. Sailing Boston to Bermuda on the Dawn next Friday may 23rd and the 10 day extended forcast shows the weather for Friday and Sat (May23 and 24) to be rainy and breezy in Boston. Anyone have any idea how the waters will be? We have never cruised before and am wondering if we should start taking our Dramamine and wearing our SeaBands ahead of time. Any suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

I think you will be fine. I've sailed from Boston to Bermuda 3 times in the past (going again in 3 weeks - June 6!) and one thing that always amazes me is how quickly into the cruise the Boston area weather becomes irrelevant. Hopefully you will sail into nice weather - the forecast for Bermuda Friday and for the next several days looks beautiful!!!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/bm/hamilton/2595/may-weather/2595

Have a great trip!

Here is the marine forecast for 25 nm SE of Nantucket. Is this what you are looking for?

Fri

Se winds 10 to 15 kt. Gusts up to 20 kt in the afternoon. Seas 4 to 6 ft. Patchy fog. Vsby 1 to 3 nm.

Fri Night

Se winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas 4 to 7 ft. A chance of showers.

Sat

Se winds 15 to 20 kt...diminishing to 10 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Gusts up to 30 kt. Seas 5 to 7 ft. Showers likely. Vsby 1 to 3 nm.

Not really stormy seas, but there should be some movement with 4-7 foot seas.

EEEK!! I'm a little concerned. Sailing Boston to Bermuda on the Dawn next Friday may 23rd and the 10 day extended forcast shows the weather for Friday and Sat (May23 and 24) to be rainy and breezy in Boston. Anyone have any idea how the waters will be? We have never cruised before and am wondering if we should start taking our Dramamine and wearing our SeaBands ahead of time. Any suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

It's really hard to predict New England Waters, sailed on the Dawn last June to Bermuda and had a tropical storm with 20 foot seas. We made it through and had a wonderful vacation. We just sailed the Dawn on the repo cruise last week and the Atlantic was like glass It was so calm. Don't worry about the weather you can't change it, just bring the Dramamine . Wishing you calm seas and beautiful weather.

Make sure you take Bonine before you sail if you are concerned about seasickness. It works great for us and does not have a drowsy side effect. You can also use the seabands. No one can predict the weather or the sea conditions. We've had a few rough sailing days in the past cruises to Bermuda and also have had sailings that the trip had seas that were like glass. As one of our Captains told us, you are crossing the North Atlantic going to Bermuda and the seas can be rough.

I think you will be fine. I've sailed from Boston to Bermuda 3 times in the past (going again in 3 weeks - June 6!) and one thing that always amazes me is how quickly into the cruise the Boston area weather becomes irrelevant. Hopefully you will sail into nice weather - the forecast for Bermuda Friday and for the next several days looks beautiful!!!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/bm/hamilton/2595/may-weather/2595

Have a great trip!

Hi Corgidog,

I am sailing on the same cruise… come and join our roll call, we have many activities planned.

As far as sailing on inclement weather, one never knows. I have been on this cruise 9 times and have encountered rough waters when the sun was out… it all depends on what is brewing in the Atlantic.

No matter, you will have fun…. guaranteed

Lisa

Basically getting rid of seasickness is very tough... prevention is the key, take the meds BEFORE you sail...if on day 2 conditions are good...stop the meds.

Have fun for me,

can't wait for MY October cruise !!!

We sailed Boston to Bermuda last June and the seas were 25 feet 1 day. We just did the Tampa to Boston Repo cruise last week, and I was very nervous about the ride once we hit the Atlantic:eek:, but it was so smooth :D. we never would have known we were on a ship. That being said, I kept my seabands on just in case. When we got home, I returned my dramamine to the store because we didn't even open it. I would still be prepared ( I brought sea bands, ginger gum, and dramamine), hopefully you will not need anything. Happy sailing!!

As they say here in New England, "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes." It is very changeable.

You might experience some chop, so it might be a good idea to take Bonine before the cruise starts.

However, the Dawn is a large ship which rides the waves smoothly. I've been on it, never getting sick.

The waters in Boston harbor this friday will be cold and salty . ;) :)

Saturday you will be to far away to care about us .:(

Just kiddin .

It will a be nice ride , Dawn handles the seas very well .

Edited by biker@sea