Sun for 18 year old

DwayneG

We're taking our Grandson to Alaska in July for graduation. Does the ship have any activities for 18 year olds? He's at that age where he's too old for the teens club (I think it ends at 17) but too young for adult activities.

That's a difficult age. And on the Alaska cruise, the pool and pool deck activities are limited due to the cooler weather. We love the Sun, but I honestly can't think of much on her that would thrill me if I was 18 again.

Agree that without the pools it might not be much fun. I think of Alaska as an older destination to do w/o kids, but could be wrong.

You might consider going without him and instead booking him on a shorter Caribbean cruise as his graduation present. I say shorter because it will have more young people, and Caribbean because the pools will be popular as will the ports.

If that isn't an option, maybe you could at least sign the waiver for him so he could have a few drinks :D

That sure is a tough age. You must be close to final payment? Is there any chance that you could also take 1 of his friends. I know it add to the cost but with it being a fairly port intensive cruise anyway, that might just solve the problem.

The only other thing would be finding another ship to take to AK. in the same time frame which wouldn't be easy I'm thinking.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

I like the Caribbean idea if you are trying to reward/entertain him. The Getaway is sailing that cruise out of Miami (7 days though). Because the Alaska cruises are one of the more expensive cruises, you probably could take him and a friend for no more than just the 3 of you on the Alaska cruise. The Getaway, and the hot weather, pools, etc would provide much more opportunity for him to enjoy. However....you might not......

We cruised last summer with two 18 year old boys and they felt let out of everything. The cruise ships should realize that this age group could do with a party the first night in one of the lounges so they can meet others in their age groups and find people to hang out with on the cruise. I know the guys we went with were afraid to start conversations with young ladies because they were not sure if they were over 18 or not. I would love to see a cruise line step up and help with forgotten age group.

If you go to the Roll Call for your sailing perhaps you will find others of his age that he could e-mail/face book prior to the cruise. That's what I would do before anything else. Not sure what your cabin set up is but unless he has a cabin to himself I don't think that too many of his 18 year old buddies are going to sign up to bunk with their friends grandma and grandpa.

Agree that without the pools it might not be much fun. I think of Alaska as an older destination to do w/o kids, but could be wrong.

You might consider going without him and instead booking him on a shorter Caribbean cruise as his graduation present. I say shorter because it will have more young people, and Caribbean because the pools will be popular as will the ports.

If that isn't an option, maybe you could at least sign the waiver for him so he could have a few drinks :D

No age waivers for underage drinkers on Alaska or Hawaii cruises.

I hope the OP lets us know what they decided to do!

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

I don't think that the OP really got a lot of helpful information on this one. If I was the OP I would be rather disappointed in most of the replies.

OP your 18 year old grandson can go to all adult venues including the comedy clubs and quest and lounges/dance clubs. He will not be able to consume alcohol however.

Edited by Karysa

Definitely going! He chose Alaskan cruise over trips to London or Paris. The cruise should be enough fun even if he doesn't meet others his age, and he's looking forward to salmon fishing charter. I figure I'll hook him up with CC Roll Call, see if he can meet others in advance.

Definitely going! He chose Alaskan cruise over trips to London or Paris. The cruise should be enough fun even if he doesn't meet others his age, and he's looking forward to salmon fishing charter. I figure I'll hook him up with CC Roll Call, see if he can meet others in advance.

Good thinking. Enjoy!

Dear op, I thought it best to ask my son how he dealt with his ncl cruise at 18. Firstly he went to the meet and greet where on the roll call we'd asked anyone to bring their kids between 17 and 24 and they did. He got together with another lad and they made the most of the entertainment etc. being on ncl they could get a drinks waiver signed so could have alcohol (beer and wine) and the guys took it I turn to get a bucket of beer and share it.

They had a great time

OP, Just wondering when you are sailing. We have a 17 year old son(18 in Sept) and are wondering how he will do on NCL Sun in Alaska. We sailed Celebrity Summit to Alaska in 2002 with our 4 children ages 6-17 at the time- it remains their favorite trip that they still talk about.

We are trying to decide between NCL Sun (July21) and NCL Pearl. We much prefer itinerary of Sun...just concerned about 17 year old. Our other children are married or grad school now, so it's just the 17 year old at home. Any advice from others, please chime in....Sun vs. Pearl.

Sun vs Pearl. Two excellent choices. Just looking at the ships, not the itinerary,

the Pearl is bigger with more activity such as bowling alley and rock climbing wall. She also has one of the fleets' best buffets. They both have a nice forward lounge/observation area and a Great Outdoors rear grill/bar/outdoor sitting area. We really like the Sun because of the super nice mini suites she has and the smaller, more personalized atmosphere the smaller size gives. However, we've been on the Pearl numerous times and love her too. Wonderful crew on both. You can't go wrong with either.

OP, Just wondering when you are sailing. We have a 17 year old son(18 in Sept) and are wondering how he will do on NCL Sun in Alaska. We sailed Celebrity Summit to Alaska in 2002 with our 4 children ages 6-17 at the time- it remains their favorite trip that they still talk about.

We are trying to decide between NCL Sun (July21) and NCL Pearl. We much prefer itinerary of Sun...just concerned about 17 year old. Our other children are married or grad school now, so it's just the 17 year old at home. Any advice from others, please chime in....Sun vs. Pearl.

If you like the itinerary much better on the SUN I would suggest going on the SUN. Hopefully your son will meet others of his age via the roll call, meet n greet, teen club or else where on board.

Thanks for the quick feedback! Wow, the Pearl sounds like it might be more fun. I like leaving out of Vancouver(SUN) vs. Seattle (Pearl) but I'm really not sure if I should consider leaving out of Seattle as a negative. I realize Alaska is the "main" attraction, but I also have found shipboard entertainment for a 17/18 year old can be important too. After sailing the Reflection during March Spring Break with VERY FEW teens, I felt sort of bad for him. It was rather boring. He never complained- he just read a lot. Still pondering....but need to decide this week:eek: