Personal taste advice wanted for river cruising

sbfrench1

My husband and I would like to go on a 7 to 10 day river cruise, we were thinking around late September 2015. I know this is going to sound crazy and everyone will tell me it depends on personal taste but we sure would like some advice for a European cruise. Is there one better than another, they all sound so great.

We're in our late 50's, love to walk, love the countryside, rivers (obviously), really are pretty opened to anything. I was thinking the French countryside or Paris and Normandy, but then again would Budapest stopping in Croatia be better, or the Rhine river??? If anyone has taken some river cruises please advise. Thank you. Also, is late September a good time to go, we can go anytime.

My husband and I would like to go on a 7 to 10 day river cruise, we were thinking around late September 2015. I know this is going to sound crazy and everyone will tell me it depends on personal taste but we sure would like some advice for a European cruise. Is there one better than another, they all sound so great.

We're in our late 50's, love to walk, love the countryside, rivers (obviously), really are pretty opened to anything. I was thinking the French countryside or Paris and Normandy, but then again would Budapest stopping in Croatia be better, or the Rhine river??? If anyone has taken some river cruises please advise. Thank you. Also, is late September a good time to go, we can go anytime.

You'll get your best answers to river cruising over on the river cruising board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&f=191

We have taken about 6 river cruises with Grand Circle, and loved them. The ships are much smaller than the Ocean going vessels. Capacity is usually 100 to 150 passengers. Most shore excursions are included. Meals were very good, but fewer options. Little entertainment. On one cruise the highlight was a waiter playing the harmonica (LOL). Wine is usually included.

I've only been on two river cruises, both in Europe. Of the two I thought the Rhine and Moselle was more interesting than the Danube. One was on AMA, the other was Scenic and both lines were well run. The Scenic boat was nicer, but it was three years after the first cruise and it was a newer boat.

Rhein, Mosel, Seine, Danube . . . No way can I say which is better. Each has a lot to offer and was scenic. To me, European river cruising is as much about the cruising and touring experience as it is about the specific river.

OK, but you haven't answered what area would be exciting and beautiful. Have you taken a river cruise through Asia?

Yes. We did Vietnam, Cambodia and the Riches of the Mekong with AmaWaterways. It is amazing. We may do the Myanmar cruise to Mandalay with them in a year or two.

For Europe, September is an excellent time to go. Kids are back in school, not quite so many tourists, and it may be a touch cooler.

We did a seven night cruise on the Rhine in late September in 2008, with Avalon Waterways. Overall it was wonderful. However it was colder than we expected.

There were a number of included tours, and some optional ones at extra cost. Some of the tour guides were excellent but some were a bit tedious, spending excessive time going into great detail about things so that the free time at the end of the tour was significantly reduced. A couple of times we just explored the towns by ourselves and had just as much fun.

The meals on the cruise boat were excellent - buffets for breakfast and lunch, and a four course (minimum) sit-down dinner.

If you do the Rhine and have free time in Rudesheim, take the gondola up the hill then walk back down through the vineyards. It's lovely.

We have taken about 6 river cruises with Grand Circle, and loved them. The ships are much smaller than the Ocean going vessels. Capacity is usually 100 to 150 passengers. Most shore excursions are included. Meals were very good, but fewer options. Little entertainment. On one cruise the highlight was a waiter playing the harmonica (LOL). Wine is usually included.

Grand Circle is also the company we use. They have never disappointed us.Rhine and Danube are favorites with lots of itineraries. Fall is the best time unless you want to see the tulips.

Probably our best river cruise was on the Amazon River in Peru. 24 passenger ship. We have also sailed the Danube/Mein/Rhine rivers across Europe, the Elbe River, Russian rivers from Moscow to St. Petersberg. We have not done any overnight river cruises in Asia, but would love to do one on the Irrawaddy River in Myanmar.