Cabin key cards

do kids get them too? Or, just the adults?

Each person booked in the cabin gets a key card. It's not only the room key but is also the card used for on-board purchases. So if you do not want your kids to have free range of charging anything they want than suggest you go to guest services after boarding and place a daily charge limited on their cards.

do kids get them too? Or, just the adults?

As others have mentioned each travelling passenger is issued a key card (the name of this varies by cruise line - RCI calls it a SeaPass card).

While doubling as a key card for the stateroom, the primary purpose of this card is as ID for the passenger, and is required for leaving and re-boarding the ship. There is a photo of each passenger digitally embedded in each card as well as information linking each card to on board purchases. The purchase aspect can be restricted or eliminated as desired. You can also request additional spare room keys that only function to open the staterooms if, as example, you have multiple staterooms for your party for which you need access.

The cards are actually quite sophisticated in function in that they record each time your stateroom is accessed by which key, all purchases made and charged to your on board account, and many (RCI again as example) utilized retinal recognition technology with the photo for positive passenger ID through the card. Many of the ships computers at different purchase stations (bars, for example) and other venue entrances will display you picture when the card is swiped to confirm your ID. With certain ships, RCI also embeds any reservations made for shows or specialty restaurants on the card for confirmation purposes.

This photo technology aspect is quite interesting on ships that provide the photo kiosks in that when you insert your SeaPass card, all pictures taken of you on board by the ships photographer are displayed digitally as recognized from the embedded picture on your card.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

===snipped. ------

You can also request additional spare room keys that only function to open the staterooms if, as example, you have multiple staterooms for your party for which you need access.

so, we DO have two cabins. I can have a card for their cabin and they can get one for mine? that would be great, as I would be maybe watching a couple of kids in THEIR cabin, and the boy will be in my cabin, and it would be great for mom and dad to have access to ours.

I will ask when we get there :)

so, we DO have two cabins. I can have a card for their cabin and they can get one for mine? that would be great, as I would be maybe watching a couple of kids in THEIR cabin, and the boy will be in my cabin, and it would be great for mom and dad to have access to ours.

I will ask when we get there :)

Yes - at least that has been our experience with RCI.

Everyone has a "card"...it's your ship ID as well as your room key. Children who are not going to be out on their own do NOT need to carry them ...the parents will keep track of the kid's cards! Yes...you can get multiple cards for those in your party.

Edited by cb at sea

so....the 2 1/2 year old will have a card lol

me thinks mom might be holding onto that one :D

it might be a while getting off and on the ship. 3 children with cards to swipe...hmmm

Our three kids always had SeaPass cards issued on RCI and we of course handled them for them as needed. Each one was handed to security on exit / entry by us to be swiped - no different than passengers handing them individually. Just have your hands full as a parent as usual! :D

Edited by leaveitallbehind

As others have mentioned each travelling passenger is issued a key card (the name of this varies by cruise line - RCI calls it a SeaPass card).

While doubling as a key card for the stateroom, the primary purpose of this card is as ID for the passenger, and is required for leaving and re-boarding the ship. There is a photo of each passenger digitally embedded in each card as well as information linking each card to on board purchases. The purchase aspect can be restricted or eliminated as desired. You can also request additional spare room keys that only function to open the staterooms if, as example, you have multiple staterooms for your party for which you need access.

The cards are actually quite sophisticated in function in that they record each time your stateroom is accessed by which key, all purchases made and charged to your on board account, and many (RCI again as example) utilized retinal recognition technology with the photo for positive passenger ID through the card. Many of the ships computers at different purchase stations (bars, for example) and other venue entrances will display you picture when the card is swiped to confirm your ID. With certain ships, RCI also embeds any reservations made for shows or specialty restaurants on the card for confirmation purposes.

This photo technology aspect is quite interesting on ships that provide the photo kiosks in that when you insert your SeaPass card, all pictures taken of you on board by the ships photographer are displayed digitally as recognized from the embedded picture on your card.

Very good and complete exploration!

Little children only need theirs anytime they are getting off or on the ship!

LuLu

so....the 2 1/2 year old will have a card lol

me thinks mom might be holding onto that one :D

it might be a while getting off and on the ship. 3 children with cards to swipe...hmmm

Yep...regardless of how young a child is (6 months old on RCI) they will be issued a card upon boarding...and no our 17 month grandson won't need to carry it himself :D

Edited by Ashland